So bizarre !

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
Redlou - glad everything went well. OH does back stretching exercises regularly in theory - and if he doesn't it gets sore (cycling and canoeing injuries) - he's been skipping them with working on Big Red at the moment. Can you do a few each night you are away? Good luck with clearing, my mum was always a severe hoarder, and this compounded with dementia made her house really really bad. As a reaction to her severe hoarding, as soon as the kids have grown out of clothes, toys etc they are put in charity bags (or certain toys in the attic). She had definitely done the rounds of the local charity shops, with bags of stuff purchased and sitting round the house, which I skipped due to poor condition.

Ann - I really don't know how you do it, the continuous wet beds and the nasty comments are both way beyond what I could do.

Sparmar - just a suggestion - is it worth trying to find an interest group to join, or that you were part of before, to give a bit of focus to your week, and then be able to talk to OH about it as well. I hope things improve for you - and I'm guessing there will be a natural grieving process that he is no longer at home, which seeing OH triggers? It must be worth talking to the GP about.

Brought mum round to mine for kids to see, haven't fitted it in since Easter hols. Daughter has so many races spread across the country, although she has a training day in Lancaster tomorrow which is 3 hour round trip, but as no pre race rest and food to do in same way a little bit of a breather.

Mum was a bit wiffy in the car, but as I spend so little time with her, can't get her to shower easily. Think I'll have to say something when I drop her off.

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Morning everybody!
Hope things are going well for you, Ann, this rainy morning.
Thinking of you Red. Hope sorting is going well.
JM, yes, thanks. I was thinking on the same lines, but what? I used to do a lot of walking, but now can have a problem walking 20m. I used to do a lot of embroidery, but hands are now swollen and arthritic. The last time I took photos they were so bad I wiped the lot, though I will try again with a different camera. Cataracts probably dont help! Gardening, can't stand for long enough. Can't balance either, the last time I stuck a spade in the ground I overbalanced and just saved myself from falling! Also get a problem with escalators, stepping over running water, as in getting into a boat. Will have to find a sedentary occupation! I am trying to do a few things around the house, like sorting and paperwork but it's, oh, so slow?
I do need to lose weight, not easy at the moment. I just can't get my head around anything much, plus my memory has gone to pot(!).

Did I tell you we had a lost (?) racing pigeon hanging around? He's still here, now going by the name of Ranger ( as in A Lone Ranger). As soon as he sees me outside, he's there, having learnt that there might be a small handful of seeds to follow!
Haven't seen the badger recently, but friend down the road with a small holding has had some damage.

One worrying thing, when I went to see OH on Friday, the nurse told me that when they had tried to get him up (early, apparently, that must be before 07:00) he didn't want to get up and tried/did hit them. Well, I can't say I blame him at that time of the morning. I would get violent if all I had to look forward to was sitting around listening to other people shout and scream and those awful room alarms!

Have as good a day as possible!

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
Morning all,

Its hard to know which is worse, Spamar - no conversation or too much! Mil always was a chatterbox, but there are days now where 'chatterbox' is actually an understatement. Sometimes, I'll be working at the computer and she will come in, sit down and start - I'll let it go on for so long, then I'll very politely tell her I'm working and ask would she mind going and watching TV or whatever as I have to concentrate. IF she is feeling reasonable, she will apologise but rather than go watch the telly, she'll tell me she will be quiet - and then she will start talking to the dogs! Just as loud, just as incessant, just as rambling and exactly as though she were talking to me - I usually give up at that point, lol!

I haven't had to face the 'getting used to residential' dilemma, but I would imagine this is another form of grieving for you, Spamar - getting used to a massive change and loss in your life. Its a good idea to talk to your GP, I think - I hope yours can help xxxx

Sometimes, I have to be awfully blunt with Mil about the need for washing, JM - I avoid it when I can, but even with her living here, I can't always get her into the bath (if I manage it once a week at the moment I'm doing OK and if I manage it twice, its cause for celebration! ) and have often had to resort to a blunt 'I'm sorry, but you are beginning to smell bad - you have to wash'. :( The biggest issue for her is the stress incontinence - if she has dumped the tenna pad early in the day, usually at day care, then by the time she has got home and has been 'leaking' everytime she coughs, sneezes or laughs, then she can smell pretty ripe - and she is oblivious to it :(

Success as far as the pull ups go, yesterday morning!!! She kept them on and the bed stayed dry :D I honestly didn't expect that, given the mood of the night before, so it was a BIG bonus! No idea about today yet, but I'm perserveering on the grounds that if it can work once . . .

Yesterday turned into a pretty bad afternoon and evening, I'm afraid - more to do with me, than Mil, in a way :( Usual confabulations and delusions throughout the morning, including an carzy insistance that her shoulder was aching because she hurt it when she was trying 'to learn how to jump like all the other girls' and that it wouldn't have happened if I'd bought her a 'proper rope'. She actually injured her shoulder in a fall, maybe 5 years or so ago, and has had restricted mobility and pain because of that since, but yesterday morning I had half an hour where she was adamant that the aching was down to me not getting her a skipping rope. The mind boggles!

Off to her friends in the afternoon - which is where the trouble started! Her friend is the lovliest person, she was a massive help - more than we realised at the time - when Mil was still living in her own home, BUT I have one big issue with her. She insists on providing Mil with cakes when Mil visits. Not just little cakes, and not just one at a time - she buys packs of luxury cream filled eclairs and donoughts, huge things absolutely laden with sugar and calories, and despite me politely remonstrating, despite me even having very firmly (but politely) having spelled out how Mil is struggling with weight and the impact its having, despite me reminding her several times about Mils diabetes, every week she hands at least one, and sometimes 2 or 3, to Mil - she insists that the box must be emptied before Mil leaves (Mad thing is, she is a diabetic too and won't eat them herself on the grounds that they are 'bad for her'!). Mil, having polished off one large cake yesterday, was handed another - and to my fury, when I tried to remonstrate, not only did Mil tell me (very smugly) that it was 'none of my business', OH actually laughed it off and did nothing to back me up. I was left feeling like I was a killjoy hell bent on kicking up a fuss about nothing :(. I seethed quietly about it all the way to our next stop at the supermarket - we got there, and OH and dau needed the loo (at the other end of the store) so after checking that Mil wasn't 'in need' , I waited with her in her wheelchair while they went. As soon as they were out of hailing distance, Mil decided she needed the loo 'desperately', so although I'm not supposed to push the chair, I had to wheel her down to the toilets. Getting out of the chair, she grabbed at my arm, and in trying to dodge it, I wrenched my back. And I saw red - both she and OH when he came out of the toilets - got it both barrels. I wasn't at all polite, I think at one point I referred to her as 'Two Ton Tessie' (I know, I know, I should absolutely NOT have done that :( ) and obviously it caused a row :(

I could barely bring myself to speak to Mil for the rest of the evening - I told her very firmly to 'please leave me alone', and stayed well out of her way, I didn't even eat with them all - I just couldn't face it. OH's stance is that once a week won't do much damage and I need to back off and 'let her have some pleasure' - my stance is that I don't consider that it is once a week, that I feel like I'm battling with her being allowed to over indulge most of the time at day care as well as when she visits her mate, so it really does matter, because her weight is affecting both her health and my back. I did say to him that if he were the one having to do 99% of the personal care, if it caused him discomfort and if he also saw how distressed she got when she gets breathless because things like getting dressed are harder for her with the excess weight, he would have a different attitude. He just kept going back to the 'its only once a week' argument.

Having slept on it, I still don't know which of us is being unreasonable - I do know that the discomfort I get with my back (which is a deteriorating condition, and would eventually get worse anyway, even without Mil around) is a big part of it for me, but I also get the point about how she has to have some pleasures in life - God Knows, she isn't able to enjoy a lot because of the dementia. I just can't work out if I am over-reacting or not.

Quiet(ish) day today - My plan is to finish the wedding pics (nearly done) and yet again tackle son's student finance paperwork - I thought that was all done, but apparently I made a mistake on the first lot I filled in, so it has to be re-done - otherwise he won't get the Welsh Grant he is entitled too, which makes a massive difference to his money - and Oh, I do hate paperwork!.

Hope you all have a good day - Red, hope the house clearing is moving along quickly and smoothly, and that you are feeling OK, Hun xxxxxx

Grey Lad

Sep 12, 2014
North East Lincs
Morning everybody!

Did I tell you we had a lost (?) racing pigeon hanging around? He's still here, now going by the name of Ranger ( as in A Lone Ranger). As soon as he sees me outside, he's there, having learnt that there might be a small handful of seeds to follow!

Have as good a day as possible!

A word of warning here. My ex wife traced the owner of such a bird and a temporary beautiful friendship developed. He only stayed a while: took back his bird and flew off. I suppose a bird in someone's garden is worth two in the cage.

RedLou

Jul 30, 2014
Morning all. Ann - I back you 100 per cent. You don't have to be reasonable when it's your back, your pain. Personally, this would be my (heated) reaction: If OH doesn't like it tell him he's doing the bed from now on. & if he won't back you up 100 per cent when you do the lion's share of the looking after, his mother can go into a home.
-- Sorry. I'm quite sure you'll be more measured than I would ever be! :eek: I feel all indignant on your behalf. But perhaps from a distance we are better able to see what caring for MiL is taking out of you.
Hugs, Ann. Hugs, Spamar.
3/4 filled a whole cuba de basura with rubbish yesterday. Up, down in the lift, lugging heavy bags until I was puffed. Am hoping this equates with aerobic exercise and weight loss. If there's a God, I will emerge from this as a sylph with an hourglass figure. ;) Brother faffed about a bit, looking at books and papers, and going 'Oooh, look at this!' But he did make me a bacon butty - perhaps concerned to ensure I didn't out-sylph him!

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Definately aerobic exercise, Red. Enjoy the bacon butty, my favourite!
Ann, you're a martyr. I know all about bad backs and I think you are quite right. I cannot understand how her friend with diabetes can feed mil with cakes. Even plainer speaking?
Grey, if the pigeon goes home, he will be pigeon pie. If he stays here, he could be sparrow hawk chick feed if he keeps sunning himself in the middle of the garden!

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
Morning all,

Sounds like you are working hard Red - I think if you have another day like that, 2 bacon butties should be offered!

No racing pigeons here, Spamar - just a regular pair of wood pigeons, the male of which will insist on sitting on the small seed tray on the bird feeder, to get at the other hanging feeders, despite the fact that the same food is on offer on the actual bird table - and he is such a lump, that his weight keeps making the tray bit collapse, so I have bird seed all over the patio to clean up! At the moment, the feeders are like 'Starling Central' though - I think that there are 5 different families, with varying numbers of fledglings, making regular calls - we counted 19 starlings at one point, yesterday. Noisy, messy mob - but the babies crack me up - bigger than the parents and screaming at them all the time to be fed - even when they are within easy beak reach of the food! Could spend hours watching and photographing their antics :D

Not a bad morning, or evening , with Mil yesterday - though the afternoon sucked! She had kept the pull ups on again (YAY!) and was quite chilled, if very confused throughout the morning. About 2pm, she started on the home business, kicking off by out of the blue asking me was I going to 'keep my word' to her? I asked what she meant and she 'reminded' me that I'd apparently promised to take her home as the doctor (she claimed) has said her memory is better now. So, if she got her coat, would I take her RIGHT NOW. And that was it, kick off! I stayed very calm, tried to be very kind, firstly saying 'lets have a cuppa and we'll talk about it later' (Not a chance!) and that OH had some errands to run, so I couldn't use the car right now ('Then phone me a taxi'), then explaining that no, I hadn't said any such thing - usual accusation flung at me about being a liar, she said that I'd stood 'In this very room' exactly a week ago, and promised her I would take her home on Wednesday - without thinking I replied that it was Sunday and quick as a flash she said 'I know it is - you told me you were busy on Wednesday, so I said I'd wait till today!'. So I tried telling her I was busy today too - she didn't care, she had to get back home now as her Dad was poorly and needed her there to help out.

And that was it for the next 4 hours - rattling at doors, standing over me repeating 'Open the door Ann, open the door Ann', demanding the phone, crying, up and down constantly to fetch her coat and shoes. Tried asking her to help me do some dusting - no, she said I could do it myself - AFTER I'd taken her home, tried asking (then telling) her to go to her room to calm down - she took herself into the dining room and lay on the sofa sobbing instead. Inevitably, I was on the receiving end of some rather nasty comments - when OH came in, she turned to him with tales of what a horrible person I am and about all the (ficticious, I promise) horrible things I had been doing to her - and he wiped the floor with her. That - and I think the fact that I was also about to serve up Sunday Dinner - finally started her on calming down. After the meal, there were a lot of delusions ("Where were the things she had bought for OH at the shops? Did i enjoy that thing I'd just been eating? Where had she put the wine she was drinking? Did I know if OH still wanted her to fetch him the bags from the garage?") but otherwise, pretty good - no home, no imaginary children, no having to leave the house 'right now' for anything.

OH in work, Youngest back to school after half term, Mil to day care - and son off to town with friends, so I have the house to myself for a good bit of today. Finsihed the editing, so just going to check over the pics then upload them to website, quick tidy up then an afternoon with the camera in the garden if possible - really loving some of the shots I'm getting of the starling babies - adding a couple at the end of this :)

Have a good day all, if you can xxxx

Attachments

• IMG_0576.jpgRS1.jpg
    IMG_0576.jpgRS1.jpg
    257.5 KB · Views: 439
  • IMG_0001.jpgRS.jpg
    IMG_0001.jpgRS.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 469

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
The mini bus was a whole 10 minutes late this morning, and the upset that has caused Mil is unreal! She manages, when reminded that she doesn't have to catch a train or 'ordinary' bus, to remember that the mini bus comes at 9. From about 8.40a.m., she is in a loop of asking the time every minute or so and seeking confirmation that it will be here at 9. When it got to a minute past and no mini bus, straight away into it can't be coming, so would I open the door so she can get a train? She was up and down, to and from the window, almost non-stop 'Oh God, I'm going to be late, where is it, what am I going to do?'. By 5 past she started accusing me of finding it 'funny' that she would be late - I swear, I hadn't so much as cracked a smile! Then into had I phoned and cancelled it, because that would be my 'idea of a joke'. For the last 3 or 4 minutes before it did turn up, I was trying to reason with her demands to open the door so she could walk down the road and see if it was coming and she was nearly crying saying that I was heartless and didn't care if she got the sack! When he did arrive (and there is no set in stone time agreed - only that they will get here between 8.45 and 9.15, though 99% of the time its here 9 or a few minutes earlier) she left the house very much on the wrong side of agitated, and I can only hope it doesn't set the tone for the rest of the day. It shows how even a little variation from routine can cause a massive amount of upset :(

Not only had the pad been kept on, but it was dry anyway this morning - that's 3 days (I think!) with no bedding to change - whooo hooooooo - its like winning the lottery :D Little Miss Whinge-Bag when she woke - why did I have to wake her, she was sure it was Sunday, she was sure that I'd told her it was Sunday, Hadn't she booked today off, the room was too cold, the water too hot, the towel too rough, didn't like the smell of the soap, No - didn't need hair washing she had it done yesterday - she remembers me putting her under the 'big dryer', porridge too hot, why can't she have more toast? , she couldn't get her shoe on, she hadn't slept a wink, she was sure that Matron had said she wasn't 'on duty' today . . . OH came down and after 5 minutes asked her why she was complaining about everything? She was aghast! Her? Complain? She NEVER complains about anything! Though perhaps if she did, she said, somebody might actually start helping her when she needs it :rolleyes:

Ahhh well - she is off for the day now. I'm going to knock together a quick pasta dish for the kids for tea, and do Mil some veg to go with the sliced roast beef and gravy I froze from a couple of Sunday's ago, tidy up, upload pics - and head for the garden - that's if the rain that the forecast is threatening holds off - fingers crossed :)

Last edited:

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
Didn't have time to comment properly yesterday.

Redlou - 'brother faffed a bit' sounds terribly familiar I'm afraid from when we cleared my mum's house together. I took 3 days off work (unpaid) and he joined me for 2 of them - I got more done with him out the way on the 3rd day.

Sparmar, what about a night class (most are in the day) of some sort - I know a lot have folded, but I did French for about 3 years - and not a good time to join until September I guess and I think they cost a bit as well now. For me I would want something out of the house with others and where I didn't need to tell 'my story' to start with. Our local paper list various local interest clubs - history etc.

Ann- really don't know how you do it - 4 hours???? From your posts over the last few weeks, your MIL has been going back in time for longer more regularly. So glad that she kept pull up on and was dry. I hope you got your photos before the rain came. And progress photos of Old Red?

I did tell mum when I dropped her off that she needed a shower, so she said why do I smell, so I said yes nicely but firmly, which put a real face on her - she didn't like it and not sure if it is because she didn't believe me or she doesn't like it when she is told what to do and knows she has to. When I go round this week I'm going to have to say it again.

Daugher found mum very hard to cope with this visit. Oh haven't you grown repeated endlessly for first half hour. She watched them play games this time, as it is too difficult to get her to join in.

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
Fingers crossed your comment to your Mum nudged her into showering, JM - its not nice to do, but for me, when I think how mortified Mil would have been if she had been less than clean, especially when going somewhere, I feel I have do something to make her wash and bathe.

Yep - Mil definitely way back in her past most of the time now - in terms of how old she thinks she is, in terms of her nearly always talking about pounds, shillings and notes, and rather than her late Husband, its now her parents that she is likely to fret and ask about. I don't think its making life any harder for her or us though - she isn't fretting any more than ever, just the focus and context is changing, I guess.

. And progress photos of Old Red?

Oh - you are so gonna regret asking for them :D

OK - potted progress, so far - starting with outside. (will have to do this in a series of posts, as once uploaded, the sequence becomes jumbled, for some reason, if I do them all at once!)

Pretty big sized problem with rust, inside and out - OH used angle grinder and orbital sander to remove the worst sections - after lifting off the 'high top' roof, as you can see from these shots, the 'sill' was more rust than metal :(

Attachments

• IMG_5352.jpg
    IMG_5352.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 340
  • IMG_5351.jpg
    IMG_5351.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 367
Last edited:

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
So, OH taught himself to weld!!!

Aerial shots from our bedroom window, and again, the sequence has been reversed when I've uploaded - the second shot shows it after the new sections were welded in, first shot is how she looked when that particular job was finished, and before the High top roof was repaired and put back :)

Attachments

• IMG_5444.jpg
    IMG_5444.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 385
  • IMG_6417.jpg
    IMG_6417.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 374

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
Inside, similar problems with rust - OH had to more or less replace the metal in the driver and passenger footwells, as well as treat a lot of smaller area's inside .

First images of the interior before we stripped her, falling apart old kitchen units and the very decrepid bed!

Attachments

• IMG_5062.jpg
    IMG_5062.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 401
  • IMG_5063.jpg
    IMG_5063.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 426

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
Stripped out and treated interior
(And again, order mixed up after upload! The image at the end should be the first!)

Attachments

• IMG_5079.jpg
    IMG_5079.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 408
  • IMG_5347.jpg
    IMG_5347.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 408
  • IMG_6235.jpg
    IMG_6235.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 400

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
And progress on the interior fit - kitchen units (OH designing and building them himself) and base flooring

Attachments

• IMG_0847.jpg
    IMG_0847.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 385
  • IMG_0863.jpg
    IMG_0863.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 417
  • IMG_0860.jpg
    IMG_0860.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 418

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
And finally - rock and roll bed and table :)

Attachments

• IMG_0865.jpg
    IMG_0865.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 423
  • IMG_0870.jpg
    IMG_0870.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 411

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member