Forward Ho!

truth24

Oct 13, 2013
North Somerset
What a lovely post, LadyA, although sorry one of your Uncs was taken ill. Hope it's nothing serious. Don't have any older generation left now which I suppose makes me the matriarch. Have a brother living in the Lake District but haven't seen him or his family since my mother died which is 14 years ago now. We do keep in occasional contact although I suppose I'm to blame as we were invited to his 70th birthday celebs 3 years ago but couldn't accept as I knew the weekend away and meeting up with people he didn't remember would be too much for Fred and he would only become confused and unhappy. Let alone the practical issues of incontinence, etc. I don't know if offence was taken but don't think they have too much knowledge of how AD works. So my children don't see anything of their cousins on that side of the family which is a shame. My family do meet up several times a year and our next is on April 26th when as many of us as are able meet up for a family day, including the greats, which is really good as everyone gets on well and there is a good deal of joshing and good humour as well as the bringing up-to-date chat.

Know what you mean about stepping back into your own skin and becoming someone again instead of being submerged into being secondary to the needs of our loved ones. Not well put but I hope you know what I mean. xx

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
What a lovely post, LadyA, although sorry one of your Uncs was taken ill. Hope it's nothing serious. Don't have any older generation left now which I suppose makes me the matriarch. Have a brother living in the Lake District but haven't seen him or his family since my mother died which is 14 years ago now. We do keep in occasional contact although I suppose I'm to blame as we were invited to his 70th birthday celebs 3 years ago but couldn't accept as I knew the weekend away and meeting up with people he didn't remember would be too much for Fred and he would only become confused and unhappy. Let alone the practical issues of incontinence, etc. I don't know if offence was taken but don't think they have too much knowledge of how AD works. So my children don't see anything of their cousins on that side of the family which is a shame. My family do meet up several times a year and our next is on April 26th when as many of us as are able meet up for a family day, including the greats, which is really good as everyone gets on well and there is a good deal of joshing and good humour as well as the bringing up-to-date chat.

Know what you mean about stepping back into your own skin and becoming someone again instead of being submerged into being secondary to the needs of our loved ones. Not well put but I hope you know what I mean. xx
I know exactly what you mean - and being submerged into being secondary is exactly what happens! Needful at the time, but it does become a habit.

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
I'm still trying to work out the name of that book.....

I'm sure it wasn't Mrs Dales diary...
Diary of a nobody..... Lost Housewife
Or anything by Nella Last..... ???

Minds still blank :eek: :rolleyes: :D

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

chick1962

Apr 3, 2014
near Folkestone
Good morning LadyA:) haven't caught up with you lately! How is the ache now? Decided to finally start on my bedroom on Monday! Can't wait it will look lovely when done . Are you doing anymore decorating? Hope you will have a lovely weekend x

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Good morning LadyA:) haven't caught up with you lately! How is the ache now? Decided to finally start on my bedroom on Monday! Can't wait it will look lovely when done . Are you doing anymore decorating? Hope you will have a lovely weekend x

It's fine thanks Heike, but still feel it "pulling" a bit now and then. I am in the midst of clearing out my bedroom of all the bookshelves and boxes that William had stored in there - boxes of files, that have to be gone through before shredding. The books he had stored in there were the rubbishy ones - things like "Home Energy for the Eighties"! I mean - why?? Why on earth would anyone not only keep and store books like that, but actually ship them across the world in order to keep and store them??

I've come to the conclusion that it's a sort of mental illness, this compulsive hoarding stuff. It's not even that they desperately need to keep the stuff. It's an inability to mentally deal with sorting and getting rid.

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
I've come to the conclusion that it's a sort of mental illness, this compulsive hoarding stuff. It's not even that they desperately need to keep the stuff. It's an inability to mentally deal with sorting and getting rid.

I've got that.... :D :D

chick1962

Apr 3, 2014
near Folkestone
It's fine thanks Heike, but still feel it "pulling" a bit now and then. I am in the midst of clearing out my bedroom of all the bookshelves and boxes that William had stored in there - boxes of files, that have to be gone through before shredding. The books he had stored in there were the rubbishy ones - things like "Home Energy for the Eighties"! I mean - why?? Why on earth would anyone not only keep and store books like that, but actually ship them across the world in order to keep and store them??

My John is the same , I have a church altar in the garage it's from his old church which got pulled down!!!! The garage and loft are full of his stuff and I am not allowed to clear anything!!! Dread having to deal with all this clutter one day! Glad you back is much better even though it still pulls a little . Xxx

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Well now. Hmm.
Actually, I was about to say that I am saying goodbye to Talking Point for now. But you know what? I'm not.

So - my bedroom is now clear of books, bookshelves, rubbish and dirt! I will tell you all this: Never, ever again will a free-standing bookshelf get houseroom in this house! If you saw what was behind them!! Because of course, they were wall to wall, floor to ceiling - I couldn't clean behind them. Festoons and ribbons of cobwebs! *shudder* And all the cobwebs heavily laden with dust and dirt! But the worst - the absolute and utter worst! The wall they were up against was a north-facting wall. About five years ago, I got the house pumped with insulation. Before that there was just polystyrene that was put between the cavity walls when the house was built in the early 80s. Obviously, there was a break or gap in the polystyrene in a corner of that wall, and then having the bookshelves up against the wall meant the wall couldn't "breathe" - and horrible black mould grew on the wall! It was an awful sight when I took the last bookcase out! It was all dry and powdery, and I got most of it off, but the wall is stained, so I will have to paint some stain-stop over it before I paint the room.

Then last night was dau's 30th birthday party. My baby!:eek: A grand night was had by all. But I am exhausted! I'm not a dancer, so sat with my sisters in law (and nieces, who are not dancers either!) while all the bright young things, mostly from dau's & my church burned up the dance floor all night! Dau looked absolutely stunning in an amazing strappy "cocktail" dress, bought for 5euro in a charity shop - which she cheerily told everyone who admired it! Considering I don't drink and stuck to mineral water, I have had a thumping headache all day! I am blaming a couple of nights poor sleep (what was that thump outside in the wee small hours?:eek:), the fact that my neck & shoulders are a massive knot of tension for some reason and possibly the finger-food last night - chicken goujons, mini pizzas, cocktail sausages, chips and lots of snacky things like cheeseballs, tortilla chips, etc. I never eat stuff like that as a rule, so maybe it didn't agree with me.

The nursing home has decorators in! Chaos reigns! The day room was being painted during the week, and the main entry hall, which also has seats. The residents are all in a heap - they don't know what's going on, or where they are, being upstairs in the smaller sitting room and the large parlour. Some think they are in a different building completely, and keep shouting to go home! There are a few Painters in doing the work, so as to get it done as quickly as possible. I suppose it's one of those jobs that has to be done, and there's no convenient time to do it! There are extra staff on duty, and I can tell you, they are earning every penny they are getting at the moment. Thankfully, William is totally unfazed by it all. I took him for a walk around the home, and stopped to show him the painters at work, and he said "good" and showed no more interest.

And now, I am off to bake some cupcakes!

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
Well now. Hmm.
Actually, I was about to say that I am saying goodbye to Talking Point for now. But you know what? I'm not.

And now, I am off to bake some cupcakes!
Well thank God for that - I love your thread! Enjoy your cupcakes!

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Thank you ladies.

cuppy-cakes are delicious, and a great comfort!:) I don't know why I don't make them more often, as this particular recipe is foolproof!

Makes 12 muffin size or 18 fairy cake size. Paper cases of appropriate size (muffin or the smaller ones) sitting in a 12 hole tin

100g soft butter
150g self raising flour
150g caster sugar
3tablespoons milk
2 large eggs
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Measure all ingredients into a large bowl. Whisk until well blended (with an electric mixer). Spoon evenly between the paper cases. Bake in a pre-heated oven at 180C/Gas 4 for about 25 minutes until risen and golden brown. Cool on a wire rack.

You can put glace icing, butter cream or swiss meringue icing on - or jam & then dip in toasted coconut. Or just eat them plain. Just do not feed trolls with them! ;)

Noooo! Dau has just texted. Their house purchase has fallen through! After months of negotiations, when the seller has squeezed them to a much higher price than they could really afford to pay - now right when they were about to sign the Contracts, she has decided that she isn't going to sell the house at all!!:eek: Poor dau & son in law are heartbroken - they had their hearts set on that house. Never a wise thing to do though, until everything is "signed, sealed & delivered" as they say in legal circles.

truth24

Oct 13, 2013
North Somerset
Glad you are still with us, LadyA. What a shame about yout daughter's house. They must be very annoyed and upset. Hope one comes along very shortly that they love and can buy without any hassle and that the vendor who has let them down so badly finds her herself in the same position some time Love cupcakes too but tried to put a pair of last year's summer trousers on so definitely NO treats for a while.

chick1962

Apr 3, 2014
near Folkestone
Glad you are still with us, LadyA. What a shame about yout daughter's house. They must be very annoyed and upset. Hope one comes along very shortly that they love and can buy without any hassle and that the vendor who has let them down so badly finds her herself in the same position some time Love cupcakes too but tried to put a pair of last year's summer trousers on so definitely NO treats for a while.

Also glad you are staying LadyA :) where would I get all me decorating and baking advice from ????? :D sorry about your dau,s house, it's heartbreaking when that happens but it might be fate in the end as they could find a lovelier house . Verity , how are you this morning? Trousers yep I am with you on that one hence I have started the gym but as I am so very fit , it's killing me at the moment and everything hurts in me body :D xxxx

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland

Well, if I'm honest, I had misgivings about that house. There were two acres of land with it, which I thought was a bit too much for son in law to take care of, given that he doesn't have time to breathe as it is! But they had such dreams! Hopefully, something will come up before prices rise much further.

And as for the trousers not fitting - I find that since William went into full time care, I've lost weight. Not a huge amount, but I've certainly changed shape, and clothes that were tightish, now fit easily. The dress I wore to the party on Saturday night had been uncomfortably tight even with the aid of a pair of Spanx underneath - on Saturday night, the zip just slipped easily up, with room to spare - without the industrial underwear! :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bcaputo5