A beautiful video clip about "repetitiveness"

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
Today I was reminded of a video clip I saw a few years ago on a thread on Talking Point from one of our Greek Members - Annoula. I re-visited it today and thought you might all like to view it as it is very heart-rending and beautiful at the same time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNK6h1dfy2o

Love

gringo

Feb 1, 2012
UK.
Yesterday I took my wife for a hospital appointment. Sitting waiting, she asked me endless times why we were there. Thanks to the information I've read on this forum I was able, each time, to give her the reassurance she wanted.
I wept watching this film. Without the knowledge received here, that young man could have been me.
Thank-you for putting it on.

Last edited:

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
I have just watched it too and having a good old weep now.

Why are we happy to repeat time and time again to a child because they are learning and so angry about repeating time and time again to a dementia sufferer because they are forgetting?

Jay

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
A very emotive video. It should be on TV so that everyone can see it and then perhaps more will understand, just a little. Thank you Helen.

RoseMay05

Jan 15, 2013
Kent
Understanding

Thankyou for posting this video. Understood it and thats exactly where I am at the moment with MIL. Had whole day with her yesterday at Hospital. The repeating and asking me the same questions over and over again was really bad.

On a lighter note after I had dropped her off I had to pop to local supermarket and buy myself 2 bars of chocolate !!!!!

They were yummy.:p

gringo

Feb 1, 2012
UK.
Since I posted earlier about this video,I've been worried. Yes it is true and emotive, but perhaps it re-enforces the common mis-conception that dementia is merely a memory problem. We all know it's much more than that.

Miss Merlot

Oct 15, 2012
Because it has a point.... With dementia is just wasted breath.

Like last night at the pub I must have said the mixed grill was off the menu that night, only for MIL to pipe up 30 seconds later "I think I'll have the mixed grill!" - over and over again. We discretely ordered her a steak instead and she never queried it.

Actually children's questions can be exasperating too - like "are we nearly there yet", "buy why...?" repeated in whiny tones ad nauseum etc etc. But even they start boring themselves with repetition at some point. And can be bribed / threatened into silence.

I have just watched it too and having a good old weep now.

Why are we happy to repeat time and time again to a child because they are learning and so angry about repeating time and time again to a dementia sufferer because they are forgetting?

Jay

Last edited:

tre

Sep 23, 2008
Herts
Thank you for posting this lovely clip. I do my best to answer the repeated questions without getting irritated but some times it does get hard.
My husband asks where we are going again and again as I get his coat and shoes on to leave the house. Sometimes it can be half a dozen times or more of my saying " we are walking up to the village to post a letter". Also,when we are going somewhere in the car I do not get asked are we there yet but do constantly get asked "where are we now?". At least the answer varies unless we are in stationary traffic.
I will try to bring this clip to mind when I find my patience wearing thin.
Tre

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
The video clip made me cry too.

We all know it's much more than that.
Hi Gringo, I am of the opinion that dementia cannot be portrayed in its entirety but rather is something one experiences over a number of years where it often goes from stage to stage.

This video clip is far from ideal but it does serve a purpose. Perhaps there ought to be more short video helps covering the various aspects of dementia.

Love

Navara

Nov 30, 2012
Gosh, you must all be much nicer people than me, it just made me feel irritated!

CollegeGirl

Jan 19, 2011
North East England
I thought it made a very valid point which will hopefully make me more aware of my own reactions, and it was very poignant and simple

But I did find myself a bit irritated being asked to accept that the older gentleman with dementia could remember he had asked the same question several times, could relate this to something that happened when his son was a child, could remember where he had put his diary and could go and fetch it without forgetting what is was he was looking for, plus could find his son back outside in the garden again afterwards.

My mam certainly couldn't do any of these things, and she is probably round about the stage where she wouldn't know the name of the bird, although I think she might know it was a bird.

Miss Merlot

Oct 15, 2012
Exactly. And, as a long-term diarist, I can't quite buy that he would have written that encounter down in such detail in the first place. Or that a kid would ask that particular question all those times - just found it a bit belaboured!

But perhaps we are splitting hairs!

I thought it made a very valid point which will hopefully make me more aware of my own reactions, and it was very poignant and simple

But I did find myself a bit irritated being asked to accept that the older gentleman with dementia could remember he had asked the same question several times, could relate this to something that happened when his son was a child, could remember where he had put his diary and could go and fetch it without forgetting what is was he was looking for, plus could find his son back outside in the garden again afterwards.

My mam certainly couldn't do any of these things, and she is probably round about the stage where she wouldn't know the name of the bird, although I think she might know it was a bird.

Last edited:

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
I think all these things can be picked to bits - but please don't use this space to do it in!! I was hoping that people would just have the chance to see it and take or leave what they get (or not get) from it.

Love

creativesarah

Apr 22, 2010
Upton Northamptonshire
I've put it on facebook and also managed to get it onto my dementia help board on pinterest , struggled to do it but after a bit of nifty googling I found out how to!

The same guy has made some very moving what I call 'statement' videos inspired me to think about having a go at writing a script but I will probably forget to do it!

I loved the photography too

Navara

Nov 30, 2012
I'm lucky because I know my mother would understand how irritating I find her repetition and would sympathise!

She herself had a long term friend who developed alzheimers and I can hear her now telling me how it was really no fun going out any more because her pal couldn't hold a proper conversation and drove her mad repeating everything a million times.

Thing is, she still stuck by her and continued to visit and phone right up until the end.

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
I think all these things can be picked to bits - but please don't use this space to do it in!! I was hoping that people would just have the chance to see it and take or leave what they get (or not get) from it.
Helen, I hope they do it elsewhere too!
I am so glad that you posted the way to this video clip. I thought it was beautifully done and demonstrated a point which probably helped to remind people that what goes around, comes around. Thank you, I loved it.XXX