A beautiful video clip about "repetitiveness"

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I couldn`t find the letter from mum and dad. It doesn`t appear down the right hand side of my screen. Can someone post a link please.

Last edited:

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I found it and can also relate it to Dhiren. It`s so sad, I`m sure none of us ever saw ourselves in this light when we were younger.

benjie

Apr 14, 2009
north staffs
Although not a parent myself I do have family experience with siblings etc. I would certainly include this in any class targetted at parents young or old - we can all learn a bit more patience

Grandma Joan

Mar 29, 2013
Wiltshire
Yes this isn't perfect but it still made me do a little tear.

Like previous posters have said. My MIL wouldn't remember a book or where to find it. And then she would probably never return to the garden bench because she would forget she had been there. But it has a message and it will have resonance with so many.

Today we went to a Garden Centre for lunch. MIL eats very slowly, so for appx 1 & half hours she repeatedly commented that it was a long time since she had been there and asked had I been here recently?

More importantly, she had a nice time, she went home with a full tummy which she repeatedly told me about and although by now she won't remember having been out she will remember she did something and it was enjoyable and she had a good day ;)

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
Yes this isn't perfect but it still made me do a little tear.

Like previous posters have said. My MIL wouldn't remember a book or where to find it. And then she would probably never return to the garden bench because she would forget she had been there. But it has a message and it will have resonance with so many.

Today we went to a Garden Centre for lunch. MIL eats very slowly, so for appx 1 & half hours she repeatedly commented that it was a long time since she had been there and asked had I been here recently?

More importantly, she had a nice time, she went home with a full tummy which she repeatedly told me about and although by now she won't remember having been out she will remember she did something and it was enjoyable and she had a good day ;)

I agree, Grandma Joan, this was more about getting a message across than being literal about Alzheimer's disease. I also teared up when I first saw it, and each time since.

About your MIL, I agree that the exact memory will be forgotten but I hope that the good feelings generated by her happy day out will endure.

hiljohn

Jul 17, 2014
beautiful and clever in one go

Thank you for leading me to this video. I am going to share it with all my family.

jimbo 111

Jan 23, 2009
North Bucks
I have just watched it too and having a good old weep now.

Why are we happy to repeat time and time again to a child because they are learning and so angry about repeating time and time again to a dementia sufferer because they are forgetting?

Jay

Food for thought
jimbo

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I`m in tears from the start because I see myself in the early years , before diagnosis, and am so ashamed even though I wasn`t to know.

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
Me too Sylvia. Alan wasn't repetitive as such but he started saying "thingy" to everything and it drove me potty at times:eek: Thank goodness we learnt!!

Love

Maymab

Oct 8, 2013
Staffs
Just watched your lovely video, Helen. I have not seen it before and I found it very moving. I feel it is not meant to be taken literally, but it certainly gives food for thought and should be more widely viewed.
Thank you for posting it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Talking Point mobile app