A life in the day of.........................

Status
Not open for further replies.

piedwarbler

Aug 3, 2010
South Ribble
In addition to my buildings and contents insurance I took out additional insurance , with another company, especially to cover water supply pipes and internal plumbing and drainage.

In the correspondence for this year`s renewal they told me how I , as ` a valued customer` would benefit from even greater cover.

Yesterday I had cause to put them to the test.

I have a small occasional leak in the kitchen, which seemed to come from the kitchen central heating radiator.
I phoned for service, paid the £50 excess , which had to be paid before anyone would be sent out, and waited for the contractor, who came within a couple of hours.

He found the leak was coming from the bath drainpipe [the bathroom adjoins the kitchen] and the side panel of the bath would need removing in order to gain access.

He then calmly told me he did not carry enough sealant to replace the side panel properly and I would need to call another contractor out to seal the panel.

I questioned this by phoning the company, only to be told I was not covered for
`consequential damage`.

After a very heated exchange , I questioned the point of insurance which necessitated in calling a second contractor to complete the job, and mindful of having no reassurance my bathroom would be left in a good state of repair, I refused to accept what was offered and asked the contractor to leave.

The representative from the insurance company suggested I read the policy carefully, at the same time admitting the document was difficult to understand.

Now I have a battle on my hands but have nothing left to fight with.

Hi Sylvia.

Good for you asking him to leave. That was absolutely the right thing to do. It must have taken some strength.

My heart sank when I read this post. I have a horrid feeling you may have been dealing with the company I have been posting about on the finance forum. My mum had 8 separate policies with them on top of her house insurance, covering everything from water supply pipes to rats to accidents. She was paying silly sums of money to them but they wrote separately about each policy and because of her dementia she did not keep track of all that she was shelling out - most of which risk was covered on her excellent house and contents insurance policy anyway. I dread to think you might have been given poor service by them too. I have a complaint with the ombudsman abou this company which they said they would resolve in 12 weeks in January this year. I'm still waiting to hear

I just read your post to my husband and he asked where you live, when I said Kent, he said, oh, I was going to offer to go and fix it for her, but it's a bit of a long way! :eek: Bless him.

He suggests you contact Age UK and they have a list of trusted local people who will charge a reasonable price for the job which should not be over £50 all in - including making good the bath sealant.

I would also suggest that your house insurance company might be prepared to cover any extra risks that you are worrying about so it is worth checking with them what is covered and what is not.

I complained to this company and they basically said, your mother knew what she was doing and all our explanations were very clear, so that was when I went to the ombudsman. I think you have been misled and at the least it is sharp practice, they are just hoping that you will pay up and pay up and in the end, what was the premium covering? Nothing!!

Last edited:

jan.s

Sep 20, 2011
Dear Sylvia, how I feel the frustration for you. I so agree that it's time like this that you miss Dhiren, even though it's not something they would have dealt with. My husband never has either.

To say they don't cover consequential damage is a very open statement. I would read consequential damage as damage done by the leak, not the contractor. I think it only reasonable to expect the contractor to replace what he has taken out.

Such issues make my blood boil, especially when they are very happy to take the premum and the excess.

I hope it works out for you.

Jan x

Goingitalone

Feb 11, 2010
Sylvia, if that contractor came to fix a leak which required hime to take off a bath panel then sealing the panel back afterwards isn't 'consequential damage' it's 'making good.'

One would expect the contractor to leave the property in the same state of repair after the leak is fixed, after all, that's the very definition of insurance-to leave you in the same position as before the leak. Presumably the bath panel was properly fixed to begin with/

I'd suggest that the argument is between the contractor and the insurance company if he can't leave the place in a decent state. He isn't doing his job properly.

You are definitely in the right here-no doubts at all.

I can't believe a contractor is making a meal of such a tiddling little job. My son is a builder and he would wipe the floor with the guy and the insurance company!! He hates these 'cowboys' that rip innocent people off. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

tre

Sep 23, 2008
Herts
Trace and Access

Sylvia,
insurance policies can be a bit difficult to read sometimes. I used to work in insurance and I would suggest you take a look at your policy wording and find the section "trace and Access" or "Tracing a Leak". This will be in the buildings section of the policy and will usually read something like " we will pay up to £5,000 for the cost of removing and then repairing, replacing or reinstating any part of the buildings when this is necessary to find the source of a water leak from any fixed water appliance, pipe or tank that is causing damage to the buildings". Your bath panel is definitely part of your buildings ( as a rule of thumb buildings covers anything you would not expect to remove if you moved) and should definitely be put right under this section as part of your claim. It is definitely not a consequential loss. Virtually all insurance policies except for ones sold as very basic or essentials will include this cover.
Tre

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Thank you all, very much.

Pied has named the Insurance Company she was dealing with in a PM to me. It is the same company.

Your responses have given me strength to fight now. The power of support on TP. :)

It`s strange because I consulted AgeUK with my policies, being concerned I may be over insured . I was afraid if I had duplicate insurance and had a claim, the two companies would be fighting over who should take responsibility.
I was told , by AgeUK I was well covered.

Please check your policies and if they are too complicated to understand, question your insurance companies.

jan.s

Sep 20, 2011
That's more like it Sylvia, you've got your fight back. Good news. Give 'em h*ll!!!:D:D

Jan x

Nan2seven

Apr 11, 2009
Dorset
Dear Sylvia,

"And I missed Dhiren so much." That was the bit of your post that made me feel so much for you.

What a very unpleasant exchange that must have been, with the plumber. (I had a similar exchange once with a "professional" carpet cleaner two years ago, when I told him to just stop what he was doing, pack up and go.) But how fortunate that you posted and that dear Pied recognised the modus operandi as being that of a company she is in dispute with. People that operate in this fashion should be named and shamed.

Like you, I did all the correspondence and fixing appointments, etc., but was used to having Brian at my elbow on such occasions. He would have been straight in with "Now just a minute ..." as I am quite sure Dhiren would have, too.

We skim along, just about managing, don't we, until something quite trivial upsets our equilibrium. But ... once over the initial "hit", we can come back at 'em. I recall being devastated when someone at Social Services told me that Brian could no longer attend the Dementia Day Centre because of his "needs" - when the Day Centre was operating entirely to help people with the same needs as Brian had. I quoted both the Local and National Policies (found on the web) at this faceless official, and the Day Centre attendance went ahead just as it should have.

Come at this insurance company with all guns blazing, Sylvia. Hopefully Age Concern will be able to give you some good ammunition as well.

Thinking of you and sending love,
Nan XXX

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
Well done Sylvia - for posting this on the Thread. I know its not like having Dhiren beside you but the support here is pretty d..m near :):)

piedwarbler

Aug 3, 2010
South Ribble
Please, please, everyone, check with your home and contents insurer before agreeing to let this company (who advertise on the TV) offer you extra "peace of mind" in your Home - which is what sold it to my anxious mum.

This company was described in the Times as a "stock market darling" as its shares have more than doubled in the last three years. There are some people driving round in very expensive cars paid for by my mum's, and others', premiums.

x

mulhuis

Mar 27, 2009
Kent
Hi Sylvia,
Just logged in for first time in a while and read these last postings re-insurance. What sticks out to me was had the plumber had enough sealant then surely the job would of been completed in one go without this fiasco. Why could he not come back with more sealant!. Had problems myself with insurance some years back and you can complain to ombudsman but make sure you have followed your insurers complaints procedure first. It takes time but never let the corporate bu***rs wear you down.
Terry

MargaretB

Jun 1, 2010
Northamptonshire
Insurance

Sylvia,

I am so sorry to hear about this problem. I felt for you when you said you "missed Dhiran so much". I can relate to that as though Trevor is still at home with me he is totally incapable of giving support in any way now, and like you I feel so inadequate at times dealing with things he always dealt with. I have just had a letter from our water board wanting me to take out insurance for plumbing and drainage and have been dithering about it, but shall not do it now. I think I prefer to pay the charges at the point of need. I think sometimes these companies prey on the insecurity which elderly people feel, they make you feel that if you take out insurance everything will be OK. My first husband always refused to have an extended guarantee on items like washing machines and fridges. He said if they company was happy to offer it then he didn't need it as they would not offer anything they might lose money on!
Margaret

Butter

Jan 19, 2012
NeverNeverLand
Sylvia,

I am so sorry to hear about this problem. I felt for you when you said you "missed Dhiran so much". I can relate to that as though Trevor is still at home with me he is totally incapable of giving support in any way now, and like you I feel so inadequate at times dealing with things he always dealt with. I have just had a letter from our water board wanting me to take out insurance for plumbing and drainage and have been dithering about it, but shall not do it now. I think I prefer to pay the charges at the point of need. I think sometimes these companies prey on the insecurity which elderly people feel, they make you feel that if you take out insurance everything will be OK. My first husband always refused to have an extended guarantee on items like washing machines and fridges. He said if they company was happy to offer it then he didn't need it as they would not offer anything they might lose money on!
Margaret

Don't take it out!!!!!!!! my husband turns out to have got one from ours on the electrics .... and then taken it to work with him ... but I already have regular insurance on the house ... all these others have so many caveats ... they just want your direct debit and then if you call them out they don't deliver but they do charge

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I have just had a letter from our water board wanting me to take out insurance for plumbing and drainage and have been dithering about it, but shall not do it now.
Margaret

This is what happened to me Margaret, a letter also from the water board. I echo Butter. Ignore it.

Terry , the contractor was unwilling to return with more sealant because `it wasn`t his job` but he was prepared to use the bit he had as a favour.
What sent alarm bells ringing in my ears was when he said I would have to sign to agree to what he offered.

I went to the bank first thing this morning and cancelled the Direct Debits. They allowed me to phone the Debit Card company from the branch but I couldn`t get an outside line so came home and phoned from here. By the time I got through, the transaction had gone through. The insurance company certainly didn`t waste any time.
When I think we have to wait 3-5 working days for a deposited cheque to go through it shows how one sided this is.

My letter of complaint has been posted so now I play the waiting game.

I wasn`t sure whether or not to post about this, but on reflection it was the right thing to do.
The last thing those of us weighed down by caring responsibilities want is upheaval in the home, and so we are more receptive to offers of increased security.

jan.s

Sep 20, 2011
Sylvia, with the debit card company, can you record it as a disputed payment? Even though Terry came out,he didn't do the job, because he refused to make good, which in my book is a major part of the job.

Only a thought.
Jan

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
It was recorded as a disputed payment Jan . If I`d paid by cheque it could have been cancelled but because it was an authorised payment it couldn`t be rescinded.

On top of that if I claim on my household insurance I would have to pay the first £250.

I am beginning to feel stupid.

PS Jan

Terry isn`t the plumber. Terry is my wonderful CPN who keeps an eye on us even now.

jan.s

Sep 20, 2011
One thing you are not Sylvia is stupid! You took out the insurance in good faith because you thought it was best. I have looked at these insurances too, but thankfully didn't take one out. Insurance companies rely upon our vulnerability, so don't be hard on yourself.

Apologies to Terry!

Jan

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
Hello Sylvia
I was shocked to read what has happened
I think your entirely within your rights , and I hope you get this dispute sorted out in your favour soon

My dad has been with one insurance company for years, he also has home emergency cover with them, and has found them to be very good we have had to call them out a few times over the yrs and been very happy with the service their contractors provided, If you want their name pm me

We too have had a letter from our water company re insurance for mains pipe etc
I May be wrong but I think the legislation has changed a we while ago, and most of what they are offering insurance for, they have to do anyway now, but please dont take my word for it, as its something I heard on the tv/radio last year so it or I might be wrong
We didnt and wouldnt take out that cover

Mun

Mar 19, 2012
South Yorkshire
lin1,
No,you are right about that.I think letters were sent out by this Government at the end of last year. My parents for the last 2 years have taken out insurance cover for drains etc, my mum has insisted on it,although I think it's been a waste of the little "disposable" cash they have. I'm inclined not to do it next year,but I agree these companies prey on people's fear that something will go wrong & they will end up with an enormous bill. Mum worries terribly about things like this,she won't listen to reason,so that's why I ended up renewing it this year.

Val

Last edited:

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
The plumber`s been, knew immediately what it was, knew the insurance wouldn`t pay, said ` It`s no big deal ` and will sort it on Thursday. :)

Thank you very much for so much support.

If anyone has this type of insurance all I can say is it`s good money down the drain.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
The plumber hasn`t been.
His car is in dock . It should have been ready this morning first thing but now won`t be ready till this afternoon. He will come tomorrow morning.

Insurance phoned me late yesterday afternoon. They have become aware my Direct Debit`s been cancelled. Was it in error? Was it a bank mistake? Was it an oversight? They are just checking.
Puzzle! Puzzle! Puzzle!

I told them the tale.

I was told the excess payment should be refunded if the job hasn`t been done and was given a number to phone.
I phoned. Five o`clock. No answer. Silly me. Shop shut. I should know better.

First thing this morning I phoned, to be told I am not entitled to a refund because the call out was for a repair, not an emergency.
First I knew of this.
Thank you very much. I have bigger things to worry about. I have a husband with dementia.
Phone down.

The phone rang this afternoon.
Same insurance, different person.
It was a follow up to my recent call out.
Would I mind a few questions to feed back my level of satisfaction.
`Not at all,` said I. `Please continue. `
I answered his questions honestly.
`Oh dear`, said the man. `You are entitled to a refund of the excess if the job wasn`t done.`
`Please get it for me,` said I.
Surprise! Surprise! He was unable to do this personally but would put in a report.

Status
Not open for further replies.