Alcohol amnesia

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
i have had dealings with alcoholics, both my oldest son and his dad. if they are not ready to accept help, there is no way in the world that they will accept help. i went through years of trying to help my son, tears, anger, pleading but he only got help when he was ready. i understand your anger and frustration but just keep trying but retreat for a minute because he will dig his heels even more if he thinks it matters to you.

Long journey ahead

Mar 28, 2020
Preston lancashire
Could you discuss with the GP if there are any medication options to be given on a one off basis before ‘interventions’.
They will most likely say ‘no’ !
But worth an ask!
I am thinking about ringing the doctor tomorrow but we changed doctor's when we moved so I don't have the same rapour with him. I think he will just say they can't force him to accept help .

Long journey ahead

Mar 28, 2020
Preston lancashire
My husband is getting worse now getting more forgetful and confused. He has just been diagnosed with alcohol fatty liver. He thinks he can just cut down. I fear it is going to get much worse and no idea how long it will go on

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
My husband is getting worse now getting more forgetful and confused. He has just been diagnosed with alcohol fatty liver. He thinks he can just cut down. I fear it is going to get much worse and no idea how long it will go on
i think you will have to take it a day at a time. its hard going when there is something like alcohol which makes things unpredictable.

DazeyDoris

Jul 9, 2020
Now that lockdown is easing maybe the Al Anon groups will re-start, for the families of alcoholics, which may help? I found the group I went to helpful. My husband drank at least 2 bottles of wine most days and I couldn't ever imagine him giving up. One day about 11 years ago after yet another awful incident I asked him to leave. He promised there and then to stop drinking, and I reluctantly agreed he could stay. Fair play, he's only fallen off the wagon a few times since then (including a drink drive conviction!). He wouldn't accept he was an alcoholic, in the same way now he won't accept he has Alzheimer's. The consultant said his dementia has nothing to do with the alcohol abuse. He is 66. Looking back now at all the awful alcohol related dramas I can't believe I put up with it for so long.

AwayWithTheFairies

Apr 21, 2021
Do keep pressing your local groups to re open. I help manage a chapel (all aspects including hiring out the space and venue for community groups) and we had the narcotics anonymous group back quite early, when nothing else was going, it is essential and they were very keen to restart, but the AA has been much slower to restart. It’s up to the group to get going and it is difficult for the volunteers running these things, with all the extra work to do with CoVID. But if you keep reminding them, they may feel more pushed. Or volunteer to help!!, if at all possible,

Long journey ahead

Mar 28, 2020
Preston lancashire
Our doctor referred him to the memory clinic where they did an ace 3 test and a brain scan and diagnosed him with alcohol amnesia ( korsakoff) last may. Because his liver is now failing it is making it worse. He still thinks he's ok.

Long journey ahead

Mar 28, 2020
Preston lancashire
i have had dealings with alcoholics, both my oldest son and his dad. if they are not ready to accept help, there is no way in the world that they will accept help. i went through years of trying to help my son, tears, anger, pleading but he only got help when he was ready. i understand your anger and frustration but just keep trying but retreat for a minute because he will dig his heels even more if he thinks it matters to you.
hi Jennifer, I hope you don't mind me asking what was it that made your son decide to get help?

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
hi Jennifer, I hope you don't mind me asking what was it that made your son decide to get help?
my son got help when he tried to withdraw himself and went to hospital after a seizure. it had already wrecked one family and he wasnt doing a bad job with the second family. his partner was diagnosed with bipolar, his son was diagnosed with autism and after 5 boys, they had a little girl so i think it was a combination of the changes. his partner stood by him and in the end he decided he had too much to lose. he was put on tablets that addressed his anxiety and OCD. it took a long time and he had set backs but he did it in the end. he can now walk in a pub, have one pint and walk out.

Long journey ahead

Mar 28, 2020
Preston lancashire
my son got help when he tried to withdraw himself and went to hospital after a seizure. it had already wrecked one family and he wasnt doing a bad job with the second family. his partner was diagnosed with bipolar, his son was diagnosed with autism and after 5 boys, they had a little girl so i think it was a combination of the changes. his partner stood by him and in the end he decided he had too much to lose. he was put on tablets that addressed his anxiety and OCD. it took a long time and he had set backs but he did it in the end. he can now walk in a pub, have one pint and walk out.
Wow .. He has done so well. Fingers crossed for him and hope he is feeling much better thank you x