Advice please... losing Dad as well now

Losingmymum

May 3, 2014
I am writing this from my Dad’s bedside in our hospice. He has brain cancer. My wonderful Dad has been my lovely Mum’s full-time carer for more than 7 years. My Mum has Alzheimer’s Disease. My Dad has been completely devoted to my Mum, and his care and devotion, the stress, worry and sleep deprivation has cost him his life, I believe. His diagnosis has completely devastated me and my brother. I now have live-in care for my Mum.
I have a question: my Dad claims Attendance Allowance. What happens to this when he passes? If I am assisting the carer with my Mum, can I claim it? It obviously helps towards her care and supplies.
Thank you x

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
If the Attendance Allowance is for your Mum it will continue to be paid regardless of who does the caring.

Karen22

Nov 3, 2012
I am writing this from my Dad’s bedside in our hospice. He has brain cancer. My wonderful Dad has been my lovely Mum’s full-time carer for more than 7 years. My Mum has Alzheimer’s Disease. My Dad has been completely devoted to my Mum, and his care and devotion, the stress, worry and sleep deprivation has cost him his life, I believe. His diagnosis has completely devastated me and my brother. I now have live-in care for my Mum.
I have a question: my Dad claims Attendance Allowance. What happens to this when he passes? If I am assisting the carer with my Mum, can I claim it? It obviously helps towards her care and supplies.
Thank you x
I'm so sorry to hear this. I lost my mum in August 2014 and then dad developed vascular dementia and I had to arrange nursing care; he was in and out of hospital. I had a dreadful time with him but he died in May of this year. I only have my husband so no siblings or other relatives to help. It is awful but you will get through this. I try to remember what my mum would tell me as she often had words of good advice.
Take care of yourself too.
Karen x

Marcelle123

Nov 9, 2015
Yorkshire
Thank you x

Sorry to hear of this - thinking of you. xx

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
Attendance allowance is given to the person with the diagnosis not a Carer so Mum will continue to receive it. It might be advisable to make sure she is getting the correct rate.

Mouse2014

Mar 9, 2014
Can’t advise re the AA but I am so sorry to hear your sad news,, you’re having a terrible time,,
Much love being sent to you xxx