1. Expert Q&A: Benefits - Weds 23 October, 3-4pm

Our next expert Q&A will be on the topic of benefits. It will be hosted by Lauren from our Knowledge Services team. She'll be answering your questions on Wednesday 23 October between 3-4pm.

You can either post your question >here< or email them to us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk and we'll be happy to ask them on your behalf.

Advice please... losing Dad as well now

Discussion in 'After dementia — dealing with loss' started by Losingmymum, Sep 29, 2019.

1. Losingmymum

Losingmymum Registered User

May 3, 2014
    I am writing this from my Dad’s bedside in our hospice. He has brain cancer. My wonderful Dad has been my lovely Mum’s full-time carer for more than 7 years. My Mum has Alzheimer’s Disease. My Dad has been completely devoted to my Mum, and his care and devotion, the stress, worry and sleep deprivation has cost him his life, I believe. His diagnosis has completely devastated me and my brother. I now have live-in care for my Mum.
    I have a question: my Dad claims Attendance Allowance. What happens to this when he passes? If I am assisting the carer with my Mum, can I claim it? It obviously helps towards her care and supplies.
    Thank you x

2. marionq

marionq Registered User

Apr 24, 2013
    Female
    Scotland
    If the Attendance Allowance is for your Mum it will continue to be paid regardless of who does the caring.

3. Karen22

Karen22 Registered User

Nov 3, 2012
    I'm so sorry to hear this. I lost my mum in August 2014 and then dad developed vascular dementia and I had to arrange nursing care; he was in and out of hospital. I had a dreadful time with him but he died in May of this year. I only have my husband so no siblings or other relatives to help. It is awful but you will get through this. I try to remember what my mum would tell me as she often had words of good advice.
    Take care of yourself too.
    Karen x

4. Marcelle123

Marcelle123 Registered User

Sorry to hear of this - thinking of you. xx

5. jaymor

jaymor Volunteer Moderator

Jul 14, 2006
    Female
    England
    Attendance allowance is given to the person with the diagnosis not a Carer so Mum will continue to receive it. It might be advisable to make sure she is getting the correct rate.

6. Mouse2014

Mouse2014 Registered User

Mar 9, 2014
    Can’t advise re the AA but I am so sorry to hear your sad news,, you’re having a terrible time,,
    Much love being sent to you xxx

7. Sirena

Sirena Registered User

Feb 27, 2018
    Female
    I am sorry to hear the sad news about your dad.
    Attendance allowance is paid to your mum, not to your dad, so it will continue.
    If you mean your dad was also claiming carer's allowance for himself, I imagine that will cease.
    You will be able to claim carer's allowance yourself, under certain circumstances

https://www.gov.uk/attendance-allowance

https://www.gov.uk/carers-allowance

8. DesperateofDevon

DesperateofDevon Registered User

Jul 7, 2019
    Take care
    Sending ((((((((hugs)))))))))