Staying in the house?

Goldleaf88

Jul 30, 2018
My aunt (85) widowed and with no children, has severe dementia. Me and my daughter (13) are very close to her. My parents have passed away and we have always had a very supportive relationship. My daughter calls her Nana and attends the local school. We moved in with her last year when she needed more care and I am sole Deputy for property and financial affairs.

I am struggling and I know she will need to go into a home at some point. Her pension will cover her fees. If we don't need help for care fees can my daughter and I stay living in her house. My daughter is happy and settled in her school and I couldn't afford to rent. I am very worried about this.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Assume you are worried because your aunt owns house.
If she self funds her care the LA will not be interested.
However as COP deputy you have a duty to manage her finances and must not gain in the process.
You should ask the OPG about how to organise your renting the property at a fair price.

Pete1

Jul 16, 2019
Hi @Goldleaf88 if your aunt isn't a self-funder most local authorities have a deferred charge scheme whereby the care fees can be accrued and charged against the property on sale e.g. on the passing of home owner.

Goldleaf88

Jul 30, 2018
Assume you are worried because your aunt owns house.
If she self funds her care the LA will not be interested.
However as COP deputy you have a duty to manage her finances and must not gain in the process.
You should ask the OPG about how to organise your renting the property at a fair price.

Goldleaf88

Jul 30, 2018
By managing, all monies will go to her care home fees. She lives in an expensive part of London. Fair rent on a house would be out of my reach

Goldleaf88

Jul 30, 2018
By managing, all monies will go to her care home fees. She lives in an expensive part of London. Fair rent on a house would be out of my reach

Sirena

Feb 27, 2018
Could you use her pension to pay for carers to come into the house, rather than her going into a care home?

Goldleaf88

Jul 30, 2018
Could you use her pension to pay for carers to come into the house, rather than her going into a care home?
definitely possible but my thinking is when she becomes bed bound. there is not enough savings to alter the upstairs for her needs or indeed to move a bathroom downstairs. does it mean that she will have to stay in her bedroom? Gosh

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
You say aunt will be self funding, you also say there are little savings.

This makes little sense as currently savings should be increasing at self funding rate and funding a house conversion should be affordable.

Have you checked the cost of residential and nursing care, depending on care needs and area in London an annual fee of between £50K and £100K is likely.

Don't underestimate the cost of your aunt staying at home especially if 24 hr live in care becomes required.

Goldleaf88

Jul 30, 2018
You say aunt will be self funding, you also say there are little savings.

This makes little sense as currently savings should be increasing at self funding rate and funding a house conversion should be affordable.

Have you checked the cost of residential and nursing care, depending on care needs and area in London an annual fee of between £50K and £100K is likely.

Don't underestimate the cost of your aunt staying at home especially if 24 hr live in care becomes required.
Are you saying that residential care will be between £4.5 - £8.5K per month? My friend's dad was in a home for Alzheimer's and paying £500 per month and in North London. Albeit, the LA were paying. Am I deluding myself?

Pete1

Jul 16, 2019
Hi @Goldleaf88, when Mum was in residential care it was nearly £1000 per week (and that wasn't in London) and that wasn't the most expensive by a long shot.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Are you saying that residential care will be between £4.5 - £8.5K per month? My friend's dad was in a home for Alzheimer's and paying £500 per month and in North London. Albeit, the LA were paying. Am I deluding myself?

The friend's payment was most likely a top up on the LA funding.
If your aunt can't afford full self funding the situation changes.

Jamesw46

Sep 11, 2019
definitely possible but my thinking is when she becomes bed bound. there is not enough savings to alter the upstairs for her needs or indeed to move a bathroom downstairs. does it mean that she will have to stay in her bedroom? Gosh
When a hospital bed is provided at home,its usualy situated downstairs so your Aunt would be able to join the family and not be secluded in a bedroom,that seems to be a way of you staying in the home

Goldleaf88

Jul 30, 2018
The friend's payment was most likely a top up on the LA funding.
If your aunt can't afford full self funding the situation changes.
So the remaining amount could be charged against the house? And/or rent received from house?

Goldleaf88

Jul 30, 2018
When a hospital bed is provided at home,its usualy situated downstairs so your Aunt would be able to join the family and not be secluded in a bedroom,that seems to be a way of you staying in the home
I was thinking of that too, but it's the bathing I was thinking of as the issue. I guess, a bed bath would be the way forward.