Staying in the house?

Jamesw46

Sep 11, 2019
I don't want to disagree again but regarding the council tax none of them should count. If the aunt is disregarded due to SMI, her niece should also be disregarded as her carer living with her. This does not apply to spouses so is often forgotten about.
I believe that council tax would be payable but only 25% of the bill,that's what we pay in my home,with my mother disregarded,but I still have to pay 25%,it sounds otherwise when you read about it,but there is a 25% payment required

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
Yes, only if all members of a household are exempt due to SMI or being students should nothing be payable. But nitram was quoting a discount of 25% and I think it should be higher.

Jamesw46

Sep 11, 2019
Yes, only if all members of a household are exempt due to SMI or being students should nothing be payable. But nitram was quoting a discount of 25% and I think it should be higher.
Yes in this household I belive it would in effect be a 75% discount not a 25% discount,it's one of those things that are made unclear
To be honest i'm annnoyed that I'm paying council tax considering I have to survive on carers allowance but I suppose that's just the way is,maybe some councils do it differenly though

Last edited:

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
Hi.I pay a little council tax but only £22 a month.I get council support ,carers allowance and universal credit.I get universal credit because I’m a carer and cannot go out to work..They are all tied in together

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
definitely possible but my thinking is when she becomes bed bound. there is not enough savings to alter the upstairs for her needs or indeed to move a bathroom downstairs. does it mean that she will have to stay in her bedroom? Gosh
If you get carers in and a hoist in,when she is immobile then she could be moved to a different room.You can hire all equipment from the loans department,as well as a wheelchair.But she would need assessing by an OT first.

Jamesw46

Sep 11, 2019
Hi.I pay a little council tax but only £22 a month.I get council support ,carers allowance and universal credit.I get universal credit because I’m a carer and cannot go out to work..They are all tied in together
I might ring them and ask I pay £55 which is a lot to me that's 25% of our bill,I have carers allowance and income support,I'm wary about ringing them on the off chance they try and charge me more though

Last edited:

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
I might ring them and ask I pay £55 which is a lot to me that's 25% of our bill,I have carers allowance and income support,I'm wary about ringing them on the off chance they try and charge me more though
Hi.Im pretty certain you should get some more support.Have you checked on line?

Jamesw46

Sep 11, 2019
Hi I rang AGEUK today and somebody from the local office is going to call me back,who did you approach for your discount?Did you go to anyone for any advice?

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
I went online on the government site and applied that way..I’m not working (gave it up to care)Age UK did my carers allowance and filled that form in for me.I did dads AA and the mentally impaired council tax form for dad.He doesn’t pay anything.Mine is reduced because of being linked with him.(I don’t live with him)

Jamesw46

Sep 11, 2019
I went online on the government site and applied that way..I’m not working (gave it up to care)Age UK did my carers allowance and filled that form in for me.I did dads AA and the mentally impaired council tax form for dad.He doesn’t pay anything.Mine is reduced because of being linked with him.(I don’t live with him)
I live in the same house as my mother,oh well it won't hurt to make enquiries,do you like in a house or an apartment?

Goldleaf88

Jul 30, 2018
I live in the same house as my mother,oh well it won't hurt to make enquiries,do you like in a house or an apartment?
My understanding is Severe dementia, terminal, on any rate of AA, with live in carer, not spouse, over 35hrs caring means that the property is disregarded as opposed to the People

Jamesw46

Sep 11, 2019
My understanding is Severe dementia, terminal, on any rate of AA, with live in carer, not spouse, over 35hrs caring means that the property is disregarded as opposed to the People
That would apply to us but I have to pay 25% of the bill,I suppose as a community people have to pay a share it's just a lot in my view as I could be living on carers allowance for years not being able to work to improve my finances,it's not as if I have decided to not work because I can't be bothered

Last edited:

nita

Dec 30, 2011
Essex
As well as the 25% single person payment, you can get a reduction if you are on a low income. If you go to one of the sites (turn2us or entitledto - I think the latter is the official government site) you can work out whether you are entitled to a reduction by putting in your details, income etc. You also put in which borough council you come under. I think the sites can work it out more or less exactly, but I think it can vary depending on the particular council you are under. There's no harm in applying to your council as they can't charge you more than the 25% and you may be able to pay less and get a refund on this year's bill.

nita

Dec 30, 2011
Essex
I found this on my local council website which implies that as well as the 75% discount for the disabled person who is disregarded, you can also get a 25% discount for being a carer, effectively making the council tax bill nil:-

Carers

If you:

• give residential care for a person in your main home, you may be disregarded for the charging of Council Tax, and get a 25% reduction, if you and the person you are caring for are the only adults living there, or
  • if you move into a house or flat with a person so you can care for them, then you may be entitled to an exemption on your main home if it is left unoccupied
In both cases you must be providing care for at least 35 hours each week and the person you are caring for must not be your partner or your child under 18 years old. The person you are caring for must also get one of the following benefits:

• Lower Rate or Higher Rate of Attendance Allowance
  • Middle Rate or Highest Rate of the Care Component of Disability Living Allowance
  • Standard or Enhanced Rate of the Daily Living Component of the Personal Independence Payment
  • Increased Rate of Disablement Pension
  • Increased Rate of Constant Attendance Allowance
To apply for this disregard (or exemption) please use the Council Tax Discounts, Disregards and Exemptions online form and attach evidence of the benefit received

Jamesw46

Sep 11, 2019
I'm waiting for the care charity to gett back to me but I have heard of other people in my situation on this site saying they too have paid 25%,the daft thing is a disregard sounds like you don't pay anything but I was looking at worked examples earlier where it said everyone in the house was disregarded and due to the fact they are all disregarded they got a 50% discount
It's seemingly a policy that has been worded very badly

nita

Dec 30, 2011
Essex
It's all very confusing - there are exemptions and disregards and reductions. I am a carer for my brother and I now pay less than 25% as I am a pensioner on a low income. I think the situation may be different if you are over 65.

Jamesw46

Sep 11, 2019
It's all very confusing - there are exemptions and disregards and reductions. I am a carer for my brother and I now pay less than 25% as I am a pensioner on a low income. I think the situation may be different if you are over 65.
Yes completely confusing and frustrating,I wish life was more straightforward,I suppose councils may differ too in terms of the discounts they offer,who knows,if I get any better information when that lady rings me I shall post on here

Starting on a journey

Jul 9, 2019
Interesting....just read the fact sheets and gov website. It does not matter where your council is, they all offer the same (not sure re Scotland) if the sufferer is in receipt of a qualifying benefit such as Attendance allowance, dla, pip etc they are disregarded so a single person living on their own who has been signed off by gp as mentally impaired pays no council tax.
If living with a partner there is a 25per cent discount from the bill.
If living with a carer then there is no council tax to pay!!
Thanks to you all for starting this thread as it appears that should mum's attendance allowance come through I will save over 100 a month!! Oh if that is the situation it would be lovely

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Classy@1951