More hurdles

Butterfly58

Jun 4, 2018
hi can anybody advise me, il have finally got POA for my stepdad, rang the bank to make appointment to register and they not only want to see the POA but passport and utility bill, l have searched but cannot find a bill in my name all in husbands, has anyone had same problem do you think they might accept a bank statement instead,

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
They have to have proof of your identity.
Contact them and have a chat about what they will accept.

Angela57

Jan 22, 2016
Check if they will accept a driving licence? It has a photo and address on it. Also do you have a mobile phone in your name coming to your address? Or letters for carers allowance to you? Check with the bank if any of these are acceptable.

Hope you manage to get it sorted.

Ang x

DeMartin

Jul 4, 2017
Kent
I’ve used Council tax bill and joint bank account statement, with the bank statement I mask off the credits, expenditures and money left in account.

Butterfly58

Jun 4, 2018
Check if they will accept a driving licence? It has a photo and address on it. Also do you have a mobile phone in your name coming to your address? Or letters for carers allowance to you? Check with the bank if any of these are acceptable.

Hope you manage to get it sorted.

Ang x
Thanks Ange, I have a passport,only pay as you go phone I’m afraid l will phone them to ask if my bank statements will suffice one step forwards two back as usual.

Butterfly58

Jun 4, 2018
I’ve used Council tax bill and joint bank account statement, with the bank statement I mask off the credits, expenditures and money left in account.
I am going to try my bank statement as l have a passport so annoyed though. I feel like I’m wading through treacle everything so frustratingly slow.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
This happened to me yesterday and it's so annoying. For years I've ordered my repeat prescriptions on line, I order it, the chemist gets the prescription sent to them and I collect the meds from the chemist, simple enough but now the doctors have a new bit of software and to continue using the service I've been using for years means I have to go in with ID.
Problem is I don't have a photo driving licence or a valid UK passport or a bus pass so I can't, doesn't matter I've been a patient there for over 30 years I now have to prove who I am, but I still can put the old prescription in the box in reception then go in a few days later and collect just by telling them my name, no proof of ID required.
I got a new(er) car recently and it's the same make and model as my previous one just a lot newer and I wanted to swap some bits from the old one to the new one so I put it in the drive and did a SORN so I didn't need to tax or insure it. Come the day I decided to get rid of it...you can't scrap a car without photo ID so it's still in the drive until I either get a photo driving licence or a passport. No amount of utility bills, bank statements will do even though they'll be collecting the car from my house, I have the log book, receipts, service manuals, insurance certificates and all the rest proving it's mine and has been from new.
Best one was my daughter who was asked to prove her age to buy a bottle of wine in the supermarket, she fished down her cleavage and produced an NHS ID from a major London hospital with her picture on it stating she is Doctor L, they said that wasn't proof she was over 18 as it didn't have her date of birth on it. I know she looks young for her age but she's a 35 year old doctor...just madness.
K

Philbo

Feb 28, 2017
Kent
It does raise the issue as to when these organisations (who often inflict electronic commerce on us in the first place) are going to catch up, regarding "proof of identity"?

I dread it whenever I have to go through this, as even though I have a valid driving licence (old type - no photo) and passport, most, if not all of my banking, utilities etc are done online and are paperless.

Sure I still get documentation each year for things like council tax, however, more often than not, the requirement is for something dated in the last 3 months!

I have found that many organisation now have POA departments, so I usually go straight to them, rather than enquiring at branches (who are not always up to date with their company's procedures).

Butterfly58

Jun 4, 2018
I have phoned the bank and if you have no photographic lD this particular bank requires a benefit reward letter from DWP or a tax code notification letter from HMRC plus utility bill back to spending another day hanging on the telephone grrrr,,,

Katrine

Jan 20, 2011
England
... Come the day I decided to get rid of it...you can't scrap a car without photo ID so it's still in the drive until I either get a photo driving licence or a passport. No amount of utility bills, bank statements will do even though they'll be collecting the car from my house, I have the log book, receipts, service manuals, insurance certificates and all the rest proving it's mine and has been from new....K

I recently donated to charity an old car that was SORNed via Giveacar and it was a really straightforward process. I didn't need photo ID. "The only paper work that you need when your vehicle is being collected, is the vehicle registration document (the V5c). When the vehicle is collected you will need to complete Section 9 of the documentation. Section 9 must be signed by the collection agent and by the registered owner of the vehicle. The registered owner of the vehicle must then send Section 9 only back to the DVLA."
https://giveacar.co.uk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fraoch