At the end of my tether...

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
Bet that visit made you feel young...not:rolleyes:. I’ve got a pair of crutches you can use to help take the weight off your knee. I know, about as much use as a chocolate teapot:D. Seriously though, do take care of your body.

It will take a while for your dad to reacclimatise, hopefully he will not feel up to misbehaving whilst you are at work. Could you suggest to your brother that he pops in, after all he didn’t pick up from hospital as promised?

BTW @Grannie G thats a lovely photo.

I've got my own crutches thanks. Buried in the under stairs cupboard - for emergencies :cool:. I'm not good at keeping still so I went for a walk by the river yesterday (only a short one) and picked some blackberries. It was only a short walk but I'm frustratingly slow :mad:. I got halfway down the hill (downhill is worst for my knee) and wished I'd taken my bike.

Brother eventually visited dad yesterday and fed him a trifle. That'll be the first and only time he see him this month :(

Dad has potassium deficiency on top of everything else (which is being treated now) and has a poor appetite. My daughter is going to bake him some Huel cookies and I'm going to buy a tin of slim fast and make it with whole milk until he starts eating again. Plus get lots of bananas and other fruit for him to pick at.
He's still got about 3 stone of unneeded padding so can stand to lose a bit of weight but he won't recover if he doesn't eat.
I'd rather dad didn't wake in the morning than have to watch him slowly fade away.

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
Dad's having to be fed now so SS will be called to do an assessment. How much more indignity does the poor man have to go through?

He has no quality of life, no autonomy, I can't even get him in the car to take him out.

I want it to end now...

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
Dad's having to be fed now so SS will be called to do an assessment. How much more indignity does the poor man have to go through?

He has no quality of life, no autonomy, I can't even get him in the car to take him out.

I want it to end now...

Oh ...dear Bunboots...many of us have been where you are in your thoughts

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
Thanks for the hugs.

The carers are coping at the moment and dad has always liked his space. He's not doing anything at all now, so not getting up and falling. He's clean and fed.

I suppose I'm putting off the inevitable but I think the bustle of a care home would upset him now.

He's gone down so fast. Much as it will break my heart I know it's best if he goes soon.

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
Thanks for the hugs.

The carers are coping at the moment and dad has always liked his space. He's not doing anything at all now, so not getting up and falling. He's clean and fed.

I suppose I'm putting off the inevitable but I think the bustle of a care home would upset him now.

He's gone down so fast. Much as it will break my heart I know it's best if he goes soon.

I know it is very sad to witness. If he can't now do anything for himself does he manage inbetween yours and carer visits?

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017

I want it to end now...

So sorry @Bunpoots It is so cruel. Your poor dad and poor you.

I hope it ends soon for both your sakes I really do. Big hugs.

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
Thanks for your replies everyone. Dad rolled off of the sofa again last night. Totally unhurt, but my back's aching abut after having to get him on his feet again. He can still barely stand or shuffle so we're looking into getting him into respite to see of he can be rehabilitated or if it's time for a care home :(

He's obviously not safe alone any longer.

I bet he's got the red flags flying after this week's shenanigans !

Last edited:

Amethyst59

Jul 3, 2017
Kent
I’m so sorry that things have got so bad for you. And, bless your heart, you are still encouraging other people. Everything crossed that the right placement ismfound for him and you can have a period of being his daughter, and not his carer x

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
Often there is a tipping point when a care home is needed and your dad seems to have arrived at that point for his safety and being looked after 24/7.

You have done a wonderful job it seems now that you and your dad need the support of a team around you both and to recognise that time has come is a very kind realisation sad though it must feel as I and many others know.

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
Not sure what's going on with the site but I can't get into forums to post a new thread. I've had trouble letting getting on at all this morning. So I'll ask here:

In view of dad's recent medical history bleed on brain, low potassium levels, falls. Is it worth applying for CHC? And if so where do I start?

Last edited:

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
Not sure what's going on with the site but I can't get into forums to post a new thread. I've had trouble letting getting on at all this morning. So I'll ask here:

In view of dad's recent medical history bleed on brain, low potassium levels, falls. Is it with applying for CHC? And if so where do I start?
Same with me...have just emailed TP administrator...but seems ok again for the moment...odd

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Ive been having problems all morning too. At one stage I couldnt even get onto the site.

Go and look at care homes Bunpoots
Remember that CHC or FNC can only be paid to a nursing home, which is much more expensive than a care home.

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
Ive been having problems all morning too. At one stage I couldnt even get onto the site.

Go and look at care homes Bunpoots
Remember that CHC or FNC can only be paid to a nursing home, which is much more expensive than a care home.

Thanks. I'll have to see what they think he needs then.

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
I've just had a call. The GP is furious that dad was discharged from hospital "far too early" and is getting him re-admitted.

Hopefully that will give you some breathing space @Bunpoots and more time to make decisions.

It can all get a bit much sometimes, I hope you get some time to think straight.