Motion sensor light for hallway

stockport1965

Sep 27, 2016
stockport
Mum has an LED night light in the hallway. Last night she had a fall.
I am now looking into a motion sensor light to go on the wall.
Can anyone recommend something? Prefer no wiring but obviously can be screwed on the wall.

Philbo

Feb 28, 2017
Kent
I purchased an LED nightlite that plugs into a socket - it doesn't have a motion sensor but it does go off in the daytime (or if you switch the main light on).

They're realy cheap - got mine from a well known supermarket but widely available.

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
I had battery operated, stick on ones all over the place. One came on as soon as my husband stood up from the bed. Then as he moved to the bedroom door, more came on to light his way. They lined the hallway on both sides. I placed them at about knee height, as he walked looking down. They lit the place well, and each one went off after about 30 seconds.

stockport1965

Sep 27, 2016
stockport
I had battery operated, stick on ones all over the place. One came on as soon as my husband stood up from the bed. Then as he moved to the bedroom door, more came on to light his way. They lined the hallway on both sides. I placed them at about knee height, as he walked looking down. They lit the place well, and each one went off after about 30 seconds.
Excellent point about having them lower....(Mum is quite small)

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
I have battery operated ones that work quite well and as they are not really bright, I put them low down on the wall too to light the floor. The one in the bathroom is a plug in one and I have just replaced it as the old one was getting fairly dull. They are not expensive and a very quick and easy solution for night time walkabouts.

Amethyst59

Jul 3, 2017
Kent
These sound good. And they were motion sensors? Were you forever changing batteries? I think these would be helpful, but thought you could only get plug in or wired ones.

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
These sound good. And they were motion sensors? Were you forever changing batteries? I think these would be helpful, but thought you could only get plug in or wired ones.

The batteries do last a reasonable length of time but I always use rechargeable ones and got into the habit of changing them on the same day every week. They do have motion sensors. If you didn't want battery operated ones, all you need is a standard power point for the plug in type.

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
The batteries wouldn't last long if I didn't remember to take the lights down each morning and put them somewhere where they wouldn't keep being triggered! They had a back plate that was stuck to the wall by a little adhesive pad on the back, and the light itself just clipped to the plate magnetically. I'll see if I can find them online when I'm on the laptop, and post a link.

Amethyst59

Jul 3, 2017
Kent
The batteries wouldn't last long if I didn't remember to take the lights down each morning and put them somewhere where they wouldn't keep being triggered! They had a back plate that was stuck to the wall by a little adhesive pad on the back, and the light itself just clipped to the plate magnetically. I'll see if I can find them online when I'm on the laptop, and post a link.
Thank you! I stupidly hadn’t thought about them being triggered all day!!

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Ah, good idea, @Lawson58 with changing the batteries on the same day each week! Without rechargeable batteries, and if I didn't take the light down, I think they'd last about six weeks. They used 3 x AAA batteries.

gotanybiscuits?

Jan 8, 2017
the beautiful south
I got one in B+M a couple of weeks back.
3 x AAA batteries, & an on/off/auto switch.
Believe it was about £5 ish.
Only came with 3 x screws, but I had a sticky pad spare.
Seems good so far.....

This was for my use in the garage :D
I'll be getting another (or two) for the house, seeing as Dad never uses the tap-light.......:rolleyes:
The tap-light was to replace the last of the plug-in nightlights, which he decided he "doesn't like them" after many years of use:rolleyes:
He did seem to get agitated when it was flicking on/off every dawn/dusk.

jon1972

Oct 15, 2015
I bought one in B&M for my mum. It's made by Ever Ready and charges up using the plug it slots into. It was shelf marked at £12.99 but scanned at the till for £9.99. Working well and quite a bright white light.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
I bought one in B&M for my mum. ...It was shelf marked at £12.99 but scanned at the till for £9.99.

OT
I think B&M should have bar code readers available for customers.
Yesterday I got a small mat to protect the carpet where my feet go where I habitually sit.
Shelf edge price £2.99 scanned price £1.00
Mind you if it had scanned at £4.98 I would have complained - should I have complained at being undercharged for a small item?