1. Welcome to Talking Point - an online community for everyone who is affected by dementia. Whether you have dementia or know someone who does, we will be there for you.

If you need help using Talking Point, read our Help pages or contact us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk

2. Hi everyone, Talking Point is back! We’ve updated the software in order to improve security, design, and the way the community works, and introduced some helpful features.

Find out more

Motion sensor light for hallway

Discussion in 'Equipment and technology' started by stockport1965, Nov 10, 2017.

1. stockport1965

stockport1965 Registered User

Sep 27, 2016
    stockport
    Mum has an LED night light in the hallway. Last night she had a fall.
    I am now looking into a motion sensor light to go on the wall.
    Can anyone recommend something? Prefer no wiring but obviously can be screwed on the wall.

2. jenniferpa

jenniferpa Volunteer Moderator

Jun 27, 2006
    Have you considered a motion sensor that fits into the light socket?

3. Philbo

Philbo Registered User

Feb 28, 2017
    Kent
    I purchased an LED nightlite that plugs into a socket - it doesn't have a motion sensor but it does go off in the daytime (or if you switch the main light on).

They're realy cheap - got mine from a well known supermarket but widely available.

4. nitram

nitram Registered User

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    North Manchester
  5. stockport1965

Sep 27, 2016
    stockport
  6. LadyA

LadyA Volunteer Host

Oct 19, 2009
    Ireland
    I had battery operated, stick on ones all over the place. One came on as soon as my husband stood up from the bed. Then as he moved to the bedroom door, more came on to light his way. They lined the hallway on both sides. I placed them at about knee height, as he walked looking down. They lit the place well, and each one went off after about 30 seconds.

7. stockport1965

Sep 27, 2016
    stockport
    Excellent point about having them lower....(Mum is quite small)

8. Lawson58

Lawson58 Registered User

Aug 1, 2014
    Victoria, Australia
    I have battery operated ones that work quite well and as they are not really bright, I put them low down on the wall too to light the floor. The one in the bathroom is a plug in one and I have just replaced it as the old one was getting fairly dull. They are not expensive and a very quick and easy solution for night time walkabouts.

9. Amethyst59

Amethyst59 Registered User

Jul 3, 2017
    Kent
    These sound good. And they were motion sensors? Were you forever changing batteries? I think these would be helpful, but thought you could only get plug in or wired ones.

10. Lawson58

Lawson58 Registered User

Aug 1, 2014
    Victoria, Australia
    The batteries do last a reasonable length of time but I always use rechargeable ones and got into the habit of changing them on the same day every week. They do have motion sensors. If you didn't want battery operated ones, all you need is a standard power point for the plug in type.

11. Amethyst59

Jul 3, 2017
    Kent
    Thank you. That’s a good idea with the batteries. This is a very old house and not many sockets!

12. LadyA

LadyA Volunteer Host

Oct 19, 2009
    Ireland
    The batteries wouldn't last long if I didn't remember to take the lights down each morning and put them somewhere where they wouldn't keep being triggered! They had a back plate that was stuck to the wall by a little adhesive pad on the back, and the light itself just clipped to the plate magnetically. I'll see if I can find them online when I'm on the laptop, and post a link.

13. Amethyst59

Jul 3, 2017
    Kent
    Thank you! I stupidly hadn’t thought about them being triggered all day!!

14. LadyA

LadyA Volunteer Host

Oct 19, 2009
    Ireland
    Ah, good idea, @Lawson58 with changing the batteries on the same day each week! Without rechargeable batteries, and if I didn't take the light down, I think they'd last about six weeks. They used 3 x AAA batteries.

15. Lawson58

Lawson58 Registered User

Aug 1, 2014
    Victoria, Australia
    Mine have a little switch on them so you can turn them off or leave them on automatic which would be much easier than taking them down every day.

16. LadyA

LadyA Volunteer Host

Oct 19, 2009
    Ireland
  17. Amethyst59

Jul 3, 2017
    Kent
  18. Carmar

Carmar Registered User

Feb 2, 2016
    Female
    Hampshire
    #18 Carmar, Nov 11, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2017
    Hi @stockport1965, I have just purchased a motion sensor light from Amazon myself and it's brilliant. It is rechargeable using a usb cable which means no battery purchases and can be placed literally anywhere. The light fixture fixes strongly to any surface with a sticky pad (provided). The fixing has a magnetic roller ball on it which the main sensor light can be attached to and swivelled in any direction. I use it for the bathroom wall in the night. It will not work when another light is on, only in darkness, so the power is not used up unnecessarily. I have attached two pics below because the Amazon link will not copy correctly for some reason, but here is the title of the product as shown on their Website
    Wireless Motion Sensor Light,360 Degree Rotatable Ufo Led Night Light Stick-anywhere Closet Lights Stair Lights, Safe Lights For Hallway, Bedroom, Kitchen, Bathroom, Kitchen

by Lightech

Light when on and fixing plate with magnetic roller ball

Motion sensor light.JPG sensor light magnet.JPG

19. gotanybiscuits?

gotanybiscuits? Registered User

Jan 8, 2017
    Male
    I got one in B+M a couple of weeks back.
    3 x AAA batteries, & an on/off/auto switch.
    Believe it was about £5 ish.
    Only came with 3 x screws, but I had a sticky pad spare.
    Seems good so far.....

This was for my use in the garage :D
    I'll be getting another (or two) for the house, seeing as Dad never uses the tap-light.......:rolleyes:
    The tap-light was to replace the last of the plug-in nightlights, which he decided he "doesn't like them" after many years of use:rolleyes:
    He did seem to get agitated when it was flicking on/off every dawn/dusk.

20. jon1972

jon1972 Registered User

Oct 15, 2015
    I bought one in B&M for my mum. It's made by Ever Ready and charges up using the plug it slots into. It was shelf marked at £12.99 but scanned at the till for £9.99. Working well and quite a bright white light.