The test thread

Chemmy

Nov 7, 2011
Yorkshire
Interesting. When I lightly tap the word on the Windows laptop, it highlights the single word with handles so I can stretch. When I 'press' it a little harder, I get the right click equivalent.

However, on the IPad, a light tap has no effect.

If I 'press' on a word in this box I'm typing in, I get the option to select/select all/lookup, whereas if I 'press' on one of the posts above (when this editable box is open), I get the option to copy/lookup/share. However.....if I post this (done) and then 'press' on a word, it highlights the single word, again with handles.

No rightclick option on the iPad as far as I can see.

So two touch screens, different attributes. Perhaps I should read the manuals.

Amethyst59

Jul 3, 2017
Kent
It's not even consistent on the IPad. I've tried again and now a 'press' won't highlight anything.
I have problems with that on the iPad too. I used to be able to select a chunk of text...now it seems to be one word...or the whole lot. Nothing in between.

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
There's probably an equivalent for your iPad if you can suss it out
How would you select a block of text in a document?
I’ve just managed to do this but, apart from seeing the ‘reply to member’ pop up, it’s the same way as I would highlight, copy and paste i.e. I touch the screen just before the word at the start of the relevant text, word is highlighted a brighter blue but the blue dots are there at the beginning and end of the word so I can spread it out. Before, the blue was lighter and the blue dots were missing so I could no stretch it out.
So, apart from the reply popup it’s just the usual copy and paste.

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
@Chemmy @Amethyst59
Are either of you having problems with a jumping screen when you try to insert or change something already typed?
This is driving me mad. I try to change a typo and often a drop down from top blue bar - even though my typing is nowhere near it - appears and then I lose the page completely.
I’m trying to work out what I am doing to make it happen!

Chemmy

Nov 7, 2011
Yorkshire
The iPad has just done something similar to me just now, Saffie. The reply box had shifted right to the top of the screen and when I went to tap one of the buttons on the top format bar (italics), the blue header bar with the five options (Forums/Media/ etc.) beneath has just appeared, shunting the reply box out of view. That header bar wasn't there when I started typing. I guess the formatting bar is directly under the hidden header or something.

Amethyst59

Jul 3, 2017
Kent
Yes, @Saffie ...I'm pretty sure that is what happened when I tried to reply to you in 'chat'. The whole screen moved...and it went in the wrong place!

Chemmy

Nov 7, 2011
Yorkshire
I hadn't noticed before how that blue header bar comes and goes. When you tap in the reply box, the keyboard pops up from the bottom and the header disappears, so that the reply box is right at the top of the screen. If I try and edit a word in the first line, tapping on that area seems to 'unhide' the blue main header bar and the reply box gets moved. I can scroll and find it though, and my text is still there.

Most peculiar.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
So, apart from the reply popup it’s just the usual copy and paste.

That's how I found the 'reply to member' function during testing, I was selecting some text to copy and paste as a part quote.

You can also do a 'reply to' part quote in a conversation.

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
A new DT?? Is this something I need? Do they come in fluffy pink?
I’m sure it could be arranged!
No, I’ve not been on a binge either but have decided that a desk top rather than laptop would be a better antidote to my iPad for my neck! Well, Mr Google thinks so anyway!

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
A new DT?? Is this something I need? Do they come in fluffy pink?

Laptop any use?

7268dcca5d114730fb085299167d6066--pink-pink-pink-pink-color.jpg

Chemmy

Nov 7, 2011
Yorkshire
I'm back on the Windows laptop, in touchscreen tablet mode, and comparing it directly to the iPad.

When you tap the reply box on the iPad, the popup keyboard takes up half the screen, which I suspect triggers the automatic hiding of the top blue header bar.Then if you do anything other than straightforward typing, that header bar unhides and the reply box inconveniently moves.

Whereas on the slight bigger laptop tablet screen, the pop up keyboard takes up less than half the screen, so the blue header bar remains throughout.

I've attached images of the same process taken on the two devices
WIN_20171014_09_07_38_Pro.jpg
IMG_1786 (1).JPG