The test thread

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Where 'this' is subsequent post.

Yes but maybe more members are posting.
The post containing only the quote is often followed by a post from the same member who could have edited the first post and added their message.

What facility are you testing?
I think it is just caused by a bit of confusion. When you hit Reply to member" the quoted bit fills the message box, and right underneath, showing no space for you to type your actual response unless you know to scroll down, you see the bright blue "post reply" button - so I think people are automatically hitting that, and then typing their actual response in the blank reply box that they can then see. If you follow me! Because there, it says "write your reply".

Amethyst59

Jul 3, 2017
Kent
Where 'this' is subsequent post.

Yes but maybe more members are posting.
The post containing only the quote is often followed by a post from the same member who could have edited the first post and added their message.

What facility are you testing?
I was on the iPad, using
iPhone now. But @LadyA and @lemonjuice have hit the nail on the head.

Amethyst59

Jul 3, 2017
Kent
Oh! And on the iPhone I cannot see who made the last
Post on any thread. Excuse typos....you need matchstick fingers for this

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
I think it is just caused by a bit of confusion. When you hit Reply to member" the quoted bit fills the message box, and right underneath, showing no space for you to type your actual response unless you know to scroll down, you see the bright blue "post reply" button - so I think people are automatically hitting that, and then typing their actual response in the blank reply box that they can then see. If you follow me! Because there, it says "write your reply".

On a laptop you have the luxury of a cursor inviting you to type your response.

2017-10-13_133055.png

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Oh! And on the iPhone I cannot see who made the last
Post on any thread. Excuse typos....you need matchstick fingers for this
No. I still find the site a lot easier to use on a phone than the old site, though, which was not really designed for mobile devices.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
No. I still find the site a lot easier to use on a phone than the old site

I was thinking that if members did a part quote, as above, there might not be a need to scroll to get to a blank area, quite often a part quote will suffice.

Can you do part quotes on phones?
I've just looked at my 'mobile display on a laptop' and can't find a way to select a piece of text.

SerenaS

Staff Member
Apr 7, 2011
London
Hi everyone,

Thanks for sharing your comments. If you identify any issues or problems can you please either add them to the FAQ thread or email the Talking Point team? We're not able to monitor every discussion on Talking Point (over 800 a month) so if you could contact us directly or use the FAQ thread that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Serena

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Can you do part quotes on phones?
I've just looked at my 'mobile display on a laptop' and can't find a way to select a piece of text
Yes - I've been using my phone all day! To do a part quote, I hold my finger down where I want to quote, and I get blue highlight marks, which I can then extend in either direction, to highlight the section I want to quote. When I lift my finger from the highlight, there's a black "reply to member" box just at the end of the highlighted section. Tap that and it gives the reply, with the section quoted.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Yes - I've been using my phone all day! To do a part quote, I hold my finger down where I want to quote, and I get blue highlight marks, which I can then extend in either direction, to highlight the section I want to quote. When I lift my finger from the highlight, there's a black "reply to member" box just at the end of the highlighted section. Tap that and it gives the reply, with the section quoted.

I don't have an actual phone, I enjoy fooling TP into thinking my laptop is a phone.
I've found out how to do a part quote, move blob to a position in the text left click, move to a new position, shift + left click, and the text between the two clicks is highlighted ready for a part quote reply.

This might translate to something doable on @Saffie 's phone

2017-10-13_182330.png

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
I don't have an actual phone, I enjoy fooling TP into thinking my laptop is a phone.
I've found out how to do a part quote, move blob to a position in the text left click, move to a new position, shift + left click, and the text between the two clicks is highlighted ready for a part quote reply.

This might translate to something doable on @Saffie 's phone

2017-10-13_182330.png
I don’t use my phone Nitram, it’s android anyway but I use my iPad. I can do the hold down at the start of the part of the text I want to quote and a pale blue highlight appears but only over one word and when I move it along the line it just highlights one word at a time and that is what it copies. I also get the ‘reply to member’ immediately alongside the blue highlight and not, as Lady A says, once I have finished highlighting - if that. makes any sense at all!

Chemmy

Nov 7, 2011
Yorkshire
I wonder if it's a touch screen issue? I have a MS Surface Pro4 laptop which I can use as a touch screen tablet (where I have the same highlighting issue as you, Saffie) or with a clip on keyboard (where the keyboard mouse or wireless mouse select text as you would expect)

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
I can do the hold down at the start of the part of the text I want to quote and a pale blue highlight appears but only over one word and when I move it along the line it just highlights one word at a time and that is what it copies.

That was what was happening to me, I have a blob I can move around and when I click with it over a word that word highlights and the small 'reply to' box appears, I then move the blob somewhere else and do a shift + click and the section between the two clicks highlights complete with 'reply to' box.

There's probably an equivalent for your iPad if you can suss it out
How would you select a block of text in a document?

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
I have a MS Surface Pro4 laptop which I can use as a touch screen tablet (where I have the same highlighting issue as you

Can you drag out either side of the highlighted word then tap on the word again.

<1709 creators fall update due for general release on the 17th>

@Chemmy

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Google right click touch screen
Only used a touch screen once, I was hopeless, could not even 'tap', was told I was pushing.

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
could not even 'tap', was told I was pushing.
Just checking to see exactly what I get! I'm using an android phone, a Motorola.

When I hold my finger down where I want to start copying a quote, it highlights the word I've got my finger on, with the blue blob at the start and finish of the highlight. I can move either blue blob left or right, up or down to increase or decrease the area of text highlighted.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peej