Can I ... Should I?

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
My mum bleaches cups too! As long as they are washed/well rinsed afterward it's fine. It's when they are taken out of the bleach solution, and put away immediately, without rinsing the bleach off that's a problem. Bleach flavour tea. :p Me, I use a little damp salt and rub any stains with that. Works brilliantly.

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
I always do this. Is it wrong?

I also bleach cups. I can`t stand tea stains.

Bleach mixed with some chemicals causes a toxic mixture which can be fatal :eek: , so it's better mum doesn't mix any as she won't remember which she can mix. Certain toilet cleaners are the worst :confused:

I hope you rinse the cups before use, mum just empties the bleach & fills with tea or coffee :rolleyes: , I prefer a good hard scrub or the dishwasher to remove the stains :D , better for my insides :eek:

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Bleach mixed with some chemicals causes a toxic mixture which can be fatal :eek: , so it's better mum doesn't mix any as she won't remember which she can mix. Certain toilet cleaners are the worst :confused:

I hope you rinse the cups before use, mum just empties the bleach & fills with tea or coffee :rolleyes: , I prefer a good hard scrub or the dishwasher to remove the stains :D , better for my insides :eek:

I remember a story in the news a few years ago about a guy in Germany (I think) who actually caused an explosion by mixing household cleaners when he was cleaning his loo! That was the story anyway. I have wondered since if maybe he was experimenting. After all, the reason for the liquid restrictions on flights is because you can make rudimentary (but effective) explosives from mixing fairly common ingredients, including some household cleaners.

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
My mum bleaches cups too! As long as they are washed/well rinsed afterward it's fine. It's when they are taken out of the bleach solution, and put away immediately, without rinsing the bleach off that's a problem. Bleach flavour tea. :p Me, I use a little damp salt and rub any stains with that. Works brilliantly.

It's that lack of rinsing :(. So now I "warm" any mug with boiling water prior to use :D

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
I remember a story in the news a few years ago about a guy in Germany (I think) who actually caused an explosion by mixing household cleaners when he was cleaning his loo! That was the story anyway. I have wondered since if maybe he was experimenting. After all, the reason for the liquid restrictions on flights is because you can make rudimentary (but effective) explosives from mixing fairly common ingredients, including some household cleaners.

Yes, there were a few stories doing the rounds a few years ago as people tried different things to get a clear loo. The link below shows some if the things you shouldn't mix. Mum would not even think. I know she's reached for the bleach after cleaning the oven :eek:

http://www.goodhousekeeping.com/home/cleaning/tips/a32773/cleaning-products-never-mix/

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
I know, I know, I know ... spontaneous & Alz in the same sentence is an oxymoron, but I'm going to try :eek:

Told mum to get long shorts, T shirt & be ready, I'm taking her out ....I'll take her fleece too of course :rolleyes:

I've bought picnic eats, packed the boot with a padded long cushion, water & bowl for the dog, drinks for us & sunscreen. Books & glasses

Now, what else do I need for this spontaneous outing :D

Fingers crossed we can find a nice place to sit for an hour ;)

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
We wait with baited breath for your report! Hope you have a good time. Now here if you were packing/getting ready for such an outing, you would be putting on raincoats, wellies, packing a shelter for your picnic, and a thermos of hot soup, and folding chairs rather than cushion (cos it would get soaked) and............
just go to a cafe! :rolleyes:

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Hi LadyA :)

Well, we found a slightly sheltered spot. Unpacked food, sorted the dog, mum kept on her fleece :D

We stayed about an hour and a half, ate most of the food :) , mum dozed in the sunshine & then we came home. She enjoyed it, so she said & she wasn't moaning about being cold, so I think she did

Came home, unpacked & she sat in the garden. I left her sleeping & went in the lounge as I couldn't get comfortable

She took the dog out, so I've come into the kitchen as she's back, dog is barking as she shut him out (by mistake) & as always, I talk to the dog as I let him in ....

WW3 erupts as apparently I'm critisism her about the dog :eek:

Yay. A great afternoon dissolves into a rubbish evening :(. Do you ever wonder why you bother????

rosy18

Jul 23, 2016
Blackpool
Gosh gad you had good weather Sam The heavens opened here with torrential rain,that's why my cousin and his wife stayed for dinner waiting for the rain to ease off.
Well our Priest came and brought communion for Mum and I but after trying to wake Mum to no avail we decided for me to try with Mum later (I'm a eucharistic minister) I just had communion. Then my cousin and his wife arrived ,after saying hello and that it was cold,I'd got the fire on and a heated throw over Mum she went peacefully back to sleep.Carer came at 5pm and at 5.45 we both took Mum to bed where she has been sleeping contentedly since thank goodness. No shoughting or flaying of arms or chatter so hoping it stays that way for the rest of the night,fingers crossed....

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
It's come to something when you resort to using the dog to break the freeze :D

Mum retired to her room to read & ignored me for the rest of the afternoon & evening :eek: I've taken the dog out & decided that's enough

So sent the dog up, but he came back down, so I said I'd go up with him for moral support :D

Managed to tease out a smile & she says she's coming down "in a minute", that was 15 minutes ago :eek:

Going to try again now ;)

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Hi Rosy

Yes, the sun was out & I wanted to make the most of it, so impromptu beach picnic seemed like the way to go :rolleyes:

We'd been to Mass, with a visiting priest, who was a little ... erm ... different :confused: he kept saying "come on, let's keep it moving" :eek:

We then went & took flowers to dad, mum said she wanted to & I was pleased she'd asked for once, rather than it always being my suggestion

Sounds like your mum is feeling a bit better, or at least less agitated, hope you both get a peaceful night. Hope your cousins visit was a good one for you ;)

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Mum went out the front while I was out the back painting. I should have looked to see what she was doing, but it's normally pulling up all the grass 2 to 4 inches around the beds?? Looks awful, but she will not stop & I've given up :(

So as I'm about to go shopping, I poke my head round to tell her ....

She's chopped the climbing rose so she can paint the trellis it's climbing up :eek:, no roses there then. She's also decidmated a rose bush I'd been nurturing

I asked her why and got told ...

Why do you keep shouting at me?

Does having a go at me make you feel better?

Why don't you take it & put it in your house ?

Her attitude was pretty much that I should go away, leave her in peace :(

I went shopping

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Mum went out the front while I was out the back painting. I should have looked to see what she was doing, but it's normally pulling up all the grass 2 to 4 inches around the beds?? Looks awful, but she will not stop & I've given up :(

So as I'm about to go shopping, I poke my head round to tell her ....

She's chopped the climbing rose so she can paint the trellis it's climbing up :eek:, no roses there then. She's also decidmated a rose bush I'd been nurturing

I asked her why and got told ...

Why do you keep shouting at me?

Does having a go at me make you feel better?

Why don't you take it & put it in your house ?

Her attitude was pretty much that I should go away, leave her in peace :(

I went shopping
Aw, Sam. I'm sorry. If it's any consolation it is nearly (well, nearly nearly) time to cut roses down a bit? They will grow back. But bloomin' ( :rolleyes::rolleyes: ) frustrating all the same.

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Oh, Sam :(. X

I've blubbered down the phone to Margi (sorry), I've drunk a whole bottle of wine & when I went to tell mum I was taking the dog out, she kept her eyes closed and said "ok"

Mum is in the shower, so she was not asleep

Feeling so low, I was crying walking the dog, while baitching at dad for leaving me with this

Yeah, I know, it the bloomin *ing disease. But that doesn't help me right now.

It's so unfair. I really do try to do things for her, every meal, every outing, every day, she is the first consideration.

Why does she keep telling me it's my fault??

I'm tired. I'm in pain. I am not sure how to keep at this

Maybe I should give up & move out. She'll go into a CH &. I'll maybe visit now & then :eek::eek:

MollyD

Mar 27, 2016
Ireland
Sam,

I'm glad you picked up the phone and talked to Margi. I remember a similar call I made to the Alzheimer's society helpline (glass of wine in hand at 3pm, teetering between sanity and insanity).

It does get harder as time goes on and if your reserves and resources are being depleted but not replenished. The fact you are mentioning a CH is an amber flag. It'll unfold/unravel as needs be. I really, really feel for you. And your dear mum. Fooking disease.

Warm hug x

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Hey Molly :)

I'm just struggling today, it's been a few days of ups n downs, lots of downs, more downs than ups :eek:. I should be able to deal. She's ok, she can do so much, but maybe that's the problem ? She thinks she can do more.

She's at that, can do, stage. Trouble is, she's doing rubbish. Lopping my plants grrrrr. Rubbish in recycling, recycling in rubbish, mopping the floor & leaving it soaking etc etc

I totally lost it tonight with her being nasty & basically telling me to leave ... like where am I to go??? I told her if she wants me to go, I will, but she'll be in a CH. she's not spoken to me since. Not surprising, as that was not nice, but like I say, I lost it.

I just need some sleep :eek: