Can I ... Should I?

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Hi Slugsta

Thank you, I did feel like it was about time, but I'm very grateful to have the car, I think a limb was almost in the offering I was that desperate. The lie in was .... :D

Nice to hear your mum is content, if a bit sleepy, I hope the visits aren't too hard on you

I'm considering a social event, I might actually go out to a friends house for an entire evening!! It could be tricky as mum thinks of the person as "her" friend, but we are closer in age & get on very well

Pleased Skycat is being piggy :D, it must gladden your heart :). Long may she pig out & purr ;)

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
So, let's see, I'm not in a good mood & mum is obviously not the cause hmmm

Mum decided to go see her friend D. That's fine, it would have been nice had she mentioned this before walking out the gate to catch a bus, but that's how it went. I'd have planned a different afternoon if I'd known I'd be "home alone" :D

She said she was just going for an hour or so. She said she would call me & I could pick her up

At 10 past 6 was definitely fretting. I called D (deaf as a post), eventually managed to get that mum had left over half an hour ago, to walk to the village (???) & then get a taxi :eek:

Mum sauntered in, disappeared upstairs, then as I'm throwing dinner together, takes the blooming dog out for a walk :eek:

I kept dinner warm till she got back, by which time, I've set the table, poured the drinks & am waiting for her so I can serve up

I tell her dinner is going on the table now as she comes in.

So naturally, with dinner on the table, she decides to bring in the washing :(

She then proceeds to start telling me about the dogs poo's :(. I suggest I don't want to hear that as I'm about to eat.

Half way through a slightly strained dinner she decides to tell me about the dressings her friend D has in her foot :eek: I was more forceful in not wanting to hear

I've eaten, rinsed the plates & am in the conservatory .... otherwise I'd be screaming

rosy18

Jul 23, 2016
Blackpool
Hi Sam hope your having a better day today:) Your Mum seems to be fighting to hang onto her independence for as long as possible
How's the camper van search Going?

Will keep the apple recipe to hand for when Mum stops going to the loo at present don't know where it's all coming from as she eats so little:eek:
Went to singing for the brain this morning. It was at the fire station so got Mum well padded with spare ones in my bag and off we went. Mum enjoyed it and you guessed I did too

My Mum sleeps an awful lot now Slugsta too. Sometimes as I'm trying to feed her she keeps her eyes closed, the only time she wants to muster up any energy is to go singing then she's exhausted after it.
Good news with Skycat, I'm so pleased that he's eating well at the moment.

Margi how's your Mum Doing? Has she had any more strolls Outside?

Sun's in and out here today but still feels warm. Was going to do the ironing but think I'll just sit and have a read whilst Mums fast asleep.

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Hi Rosy

Independent. More like stubborn :(. I want her to do fir as long as she can, but I wish she would actually take me into account, just some of the time :eek:

Camper has stalled, nothing on the market. Found something, but can't get an answer so don't know if it's sold :eek:. I'm still looking. Something will turn up.

So glad your mum still enjoys the singing, even if it tires her out. I'm sure you enjoy the eye candy :eek:

Sun was out here, but cool rather than hot, so I've been making a DVD unit, fits perfectly in the gap :D. Tomorrow I'll try to get the energy to paint it, then it can go up & I can put some more things away & tidy up a bit more. More storage = less mess :D

Mum is back, so I'll be off to bath the dog now :eek:. Takes ages but he's very good about it

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
You know what, my life is not so bad, neither is yours :eek:

Wake up call to the cruelty of life tonight

A friend has been on my mind, no reason, just kept thinking of them & if they are ok. We're not best friends, not in touch a lot, just FB messages, shared jokes & an occasional text

So, I thought I'd send a quick message, you know, how are you, that kind of thing

Pretty quick reply. "Not so good, my cousins funeral tomorrow" :(

Few messages later, I'm thinking, it's only money, I may not have much, but this friend needs more than text on a phone, so I call. We chatted for a bit, I felt really bad for them, but they turned it around, all about me & mum, come visit, I'll look for a camper can for you, look after yourself :eek:

Some people are so kind, so generous, so caring. This person is going to bury their cousin, in her 30's, leaving 3 children, but still, they care enough to ask about mum :eek:.

It would be totally inappropriate but I wish I could drive the 100 miles & give them a hug.

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Inappropriate?
I'd say, kind and generous. :)

Thank you

I don't know any of the family, just them, so turning up at midnight, with no where to stay might cause a few raised eyebrows, but the thought was there & at least my friend could talk openly without having to be brave

I'm being much nicer to mum today, gritted teeth aside, it's just made me want to try harder ;)

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Well it's tipped it down here today. I was dodging raindrops taking the dog out, I did mum's 17.30 walk rather than risk her getting soaked. Don't need her getting a cold or worse :eek:

Told her it was "scraps" for dinner. Chopped up the remainder of Sunday roast & reheated, scallop potatoes & fried sliced tomatoes as they were at their end of use ... had to hold for a while as she was stuck on soaps, but she practical hoovered it up :cool:

She bought up the campervan, I've said we maybe should look at something a bit bigger, as a very small one might be a bit claustrophobic if we are stuck in the rain & she totally agreed. It's what I've been looking at, but it's nice she agrees

Then she started talking about her friend D, asked if I thought D was maybe losing it a bit, (it was only a week ago we talked about D having dementia :rolleyes:) I said, but mum, D has dementia & mum was shocked :confused: Then mum asked if she herself had dementia????

Seems mum has forgotten that D has dementia & that she has Alz :eek: lots of wrong words this week, she's been totally focuses & a little later looked very confused :confused: no aggression today, so that was good, but very compliant, which is very not like her.

She's in a really good mood :eek: sort of sweet & loving :eek:

rosy18

Jul 23, 2016
Blackpool
Makes you think Sam there's always somebody worse off than yourself. I bet your friend enjoyed the chat with you and people are kind and knowing you now as I do I know that had you been able you would have driven the 100miles to give your friend a hug.
Do you think your Mum is getting a little worse Sam? It's awful for them when they can't find the right words. I've noticed my Mum isn't understanding a lot of what I'm saying and just looks blankly at me will have to try singing it !!
Hope today's a good day for you both

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Makes you think Sam there's always somebody worse off than yourself. I bet your friend enjoyed the chat with you and people are kind and knowing you now as I do I know that had you been able you would have driven the 100miles to give your friend a hug.
Do you think your Mum is getting a little worse Sam? It's awful for them when they can't find the right words. I've noticed my Mum isn't understanding a lot of what I'm saying and just looks blankly at me will have to try singing it !!
Hope today's a good day for you both

Morning Rosy :)

Looks like you were posting just as I was climbing into bed, hope that was a quick pee stop, rather than a struggle :eek:

Yes, I think mum is getting a bit worse, I thought she was a 3/4 before Blackpool, I'm now thinking she is a 4/3, IYKWIM :confused:

You know, that might work, the singing it. That made me think :rolleyes:

The dog is getting a bit on the tubby side, as mum keeps giving him treats. I've tried talking to her. I've tried telling her, but she just keeps on with the toast, biscuits, bits of cake :eek: so one day, when she was about to give him something, I started singing "Hey Fatty Boom Boom ..." & she only gave him a bit. For no reason at all, I have started singing this at various times & this week mum told me off fir giving the dig 1/2 a biscuit, coz he's supposed to be on a diet :eek:

Just in case you don't know the song :D :D :D

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vANcgolYNds

doodle1

May 11, 2012
Having a bad week .but there was a funny moment . Two hours into our 4 hour stint at A and E ,the waiting room is very quiet and mum says loudly " this place is like a morgue" I say shh mum ,mum says .." Oh all these people are too thick to understand"

Slugsta

Aug 25, 2015
South coast of England
Afternoon all,

Doodle, the 'social disinhibition' can lead to some embarrassment, can't it?!:rolleyes:

Sam, I'm glad your mum has been in a good mood. LOL @ you singing 'Fatty Boom Boom', it seems to have done the trick regarding overfeeding the dog :)

Hoping that everyone else is having a peaceful time, free from the affects of UTI's constipation etc.

Mum is has been very sleepy again of late and her responses (and movements) are now very slow. She is still eating well, opens her mouth like a baby bird for food!

Skycat is currently eating well. I think she is maybe getting more wobbly but OH disagrees. This is one time when I would be very happy to be proved wrong!

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Hi Slugsta

I could do peaceful :) , not sure mum can keep it up for long though. :rolleyes:

Good that your mum is eating & Skycat. Hope your OH is right on this occasion & the wobbles are you being on high alert rather than anything else :eek:

The weather is slightly better here today, but tbh, it couldn't have gotten a lot worse ;)

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Doodle, that reminded me of a resident in my husband's Nursing Home! She used to talk non stop at a very loud volume. Constantly saying, as she wandered around the Home, things like "Oh God help us! I think this must be some sort of hospital, is it? There seems to be a lot of sick people here, God love them. Oh, the poor people! They're all so sick! " I think they had to have something prescribed for her eventually, as the other residents would become so agitated and start shouting back at her to "shut up!"

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Doodle, that reminded me of a resident in my husband's Nursing Home! She used to talk non stop at a very loud volume. Constantly saying, as she wandered around the Home, things like "Oh God help us! I think this must be some sort of hospital, is it? There seems to be a lot of sick people here, God love them. Oh, the poor people! They're all so sick! " I think they had to have something prescribed for her eventually, as the other residents would become so agitated and start shouting back at her to "shut up!"

Oh that did make me laugh. I can easily see mum being like that :D. She'd probably drop into "nurse" mode & start telling them all to do things :eek:

Margi29

Oct 31, 2016
Yorkshire
Hi all

Just returned from the beautiful city of Rome, hot is one word to describe it :eek:
Absolutely breathtaking place, I went with my sister for four days, she has ap on her phone to record our amount of steps we took ( 71,000 ) I'm 2inch shorter now :D

Told mum a few days before that we were going, she was happy enough about that, but ratty as h*ll with random phone calls up to and including the night before, I actually felt she was in a way trying to upset me before I left ( yes I know it's the disease but...)

Darling brother and wife came over and stayed in guest flat at mums complex for two days, then we had various members of family booked in to keep an eye on mum.
I've not spoken to brother yet to find out how it went, but I'm sure it was eventful :eek:
I will send a post on his experience :eek:;):D

Sam the feeding of the dog appeared to be normal for mum too :eek: marmalade on toast etc...

Glad that singing for brain is still possible Rosy x

It's good your mum is eating Slugsta, even small amounts, I know and understand how hard this is :eek:

The things our loved ones pop up with can be outrageous Doddle :)
One of my lasting memories of mum is two years ago, mum at side of swimming pool, laughing her head off, I asked ' what's funny?? ' mum said ( loudly) look at that man in the yellow bikini :eek:
If you can imagine trying to hide under paper back book while on sunbed, well that was me !!

Hope all is peaceful for everyone x

doodle1

May 11, 2012
Mum has always been a bit dis inhibited Slugsta but recently although she has very limited speech and capacity some gems have come out . Like three months ago when her carer took her to singing for the brain and she is sitting there having her cup of tea before it started apparently she looked round and said loudly" who are all these morons?"
I said to the carer how did you keep a straight face.... Well she said it was ok cos your mum then participated for the first hour then realised she WAS one of the morons and stopped participating... Dementia you couldn't make it up