Can they force her to a care home?

Natashat

Jul 26, 2017
My nan has dementia and diabeties. The last few moths we have known the dementia get a little worse never puts herself at harm just mainly confused asking if she's in her house etc good and bad days. Me and my mum take turns each day and checking on her. She has district nurses twice a day to give insulin and has done for years. Spoke to one nurse who comes out today who said ur nan Ian getting a bit worse each day. Can they force her to a care home? I don't think she's anywheee near that bad as we dong even have carers she's can get around the house herself make tea snacks etc

Natashat

Jul 26, 2017
Sorry I just thought I would add my nan has about 20 random district nurses depending who's on that day but it's this same one who's only been a nurse a year keeps telling me she might be better in a care home! It's upsetting me as I don't think she's anywhere near ready for that

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
Tell her politely to keep her opinions to herself. She has no business stressing you nor any authority. If she doesn't stop, make a complaint about her. Before any social worker would choose the most expensive of options that is a care home, they'd try everything else first anyway, so do not worry too much.

Last edited:

Natashat

Jul 26, 2017
Tell her politely to keep her opinions to herself. She has no business destressing you nor any authority. If she doesn't stop, make a complaint about her. Before any social worker would choose the most expensive of options that is a care home, they'd try everything else first anyway, so do not worry too much.

Nobody else seems to say much and they have been nursing years. This lady has been in it a year and was trying to tell me the best care home
For my nan and I didn't even mention it. My nan is nowhere near ready and me and my mum help with all she needs. I thought the next step would be extra help at home if needed not a home x

Bod

Aug 30, 2013
My nan has dementia and diabeties. The last few moths we have known the dementia get a little worse never puts herself at harm just mainly confused asking if she's in her house etc good and bad days. Me and my mum take turns each day and checking on her. She has district nurses twice a day to give insulin and has done for years. Spoke to one nurse who comes out today who said ur nan Ian getting a bit worse each day. Can they force her to a care home? I don't think she's anywheee near that bad as we dong even have carers she's can get around the house herself make tea snacks etc

Please keep an open mind.
It may not be too long before there's no choice. Now is the time to start investigating local Care Homes, costing, suitability, etc.
Dementia and diabetes, is not a good combination, from personal experience, I know how difficult it is to monitor the diet part of the treatment.

Bod

Natashat

Jul 26, 2017
Please keep an open mind.
It may not be too long before there's no choice. Now is the time to start investigating local Care Homes, costing, suitability, etc.
Dementia and diabetes, is not a good combination, from personal experience, I know how difficult it is to monitor the diet part of the treatment.

Bod

Yes I understand what you are saying and I do believe that would be something that would happen. But we haven't even took the step of getting help at home which I do believe is the first step? She isn't at harm to herself or anyone's. Her diabeties is mangesd by nurses twice a day and the diet part me and my mum do a day on and off to make sure she eats well. She can get up and fix herself light snacks also

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
It sounds like your nan is being well looked after in her own home at the moment, so don't worry too much about this young and newly qualified nurse. Thank her for her opinions and duly noted, remember they are only opinions, but I understand that she is giving you cause for concern, maybe you could tell her that all her talk about a care home is upsetting you, if it does not stop then report her. Can a nurse force a move into a care home? No is the answer.

Ensure that your nan is safe and medication is being taken at the right times. The time will come when you may have to consider a care home, afraid this decision comes to most carers eventually.

Natashat

Jul 26, 2017
It sounds like your nan is being well looked after in her own home at the moment, so don't worry too much about this young and newly qualified nurse. Thank her for her opinions and duly noted, remember they are only opinions, but I understand that she is giving you cause for concern, maybe you could tell her that all her talk about a care home is upsetting you, if it does not stop then report her. Can a nurse force a move into a care home? No is the answer.

Ensure that your nan is safe and medication is being taken at the right times. The time will come when you may have to consider a care home, afraid this decision comes to most carers eventually.

Thank you I really am goinb to ask her to stop mentioning a care home as that's not in my head. The days she goes to my nans she always calls me telling me she thought she was in someone else house! In my head I'm like she had dementia this is quite normal!

theunknown

Apr 17, 2015
I'm sure there are some people who get 'persuaded' into care homes by 'well-meaning' relatives, and others that have no choice because they can't get the amount of care they need in their own home. It's brilliant for your grandma that she has you two looking out for her needs every day. Lots of people have nothing like that. It sounds like she's getting the level of care that's right for her current needs. However it sounds like she's getting so many different carers (which unfortunately seems to be the norm these days) that, experienced or not, I don't see how this one carer could possible build up enough knowledge of what's going on with your grandma to be bringing up care homes at all. When that time arrives it would when family members were concerned and consultants and social workers get involved in talking about it. Nobody in the UK can be 'forced' by the authorities into a care home if they're able to understand the reality they're faced with and can respond/deal with it. If the situation does arise hopefully they would have loving caring family, like you and your mum, that will be able to persuade them that it's the only path to now take and be with them through that.

Of course, it's a whole different ball game when it comes to sectioning someone. Then specific rules come in, but even then you couldn't force somebody into a home. They're placed somewhere, usually a hospital, to be assessed and if sectioned it's a pretty short period before this has to be reviewed. Following on from this the sectioning might be revoked, extended to another period of the same time and again reviewed, or unfortunately a Section 3 may follow if it's felt that is what is required. It's a Section 3 when the dreaded 'deprivation of liberty' kicks in. With this a person is not allowed to return to live in their own home or anybody elses' because the danger to themselves is too high. They need secure care. Even so, there are many regulations and legislations that are in place and the deprivation of liberty is regularly reviewed.

I would agree with another poster that it would be a good idea to research care homes and think about what you would want in that case, but that's only because you'd have an idea of what's out there and then you can put it out of your mind.

Last edited: