Mum's life and organising funeral and things

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
So all along my dementia journey and posting on here, I've concentrated on the here and now and dealing with things and mum's dementia, not stepping back to remember mum.

Many of the people who first supported me on TP have long since moved away as their PWD passed and they no longer needed the support on here and I am grateful for all the support from past and present members.

Putting together a facebook post and thinking for the funeral, mum lived a varied life which I'm going to put some details in below as just want to record it here.

Born out of wedlock in 1930, to a Russian jewish immigrant father who had left what is now Lithuania to escape the Russian pogroms around 1912. Her mother was from the West country and had grown up in a life of poverty that we couldn't contemplate today. My grandma entered service in London aged 14 in 1924 and a was a live in servant in the house, having at least 3 children with my grandfather. It wasn't a particularly wealthy house but servants weren't that expensive. My grandfather and his wife adopted my mum and her surviving sister although her mother also lived in the house. At this stage mum lived in a house where English, Russian and Yidddish were spoken, she could read both Russian cryllic and Hebrew writing all her life.

They lived around the Brick Lane area of London, which at the time was a jewish ghetto.

I'm not sure when my Grandma left this situation, but it was in the war years. Mum was evacuated at the start of the war, this period was known as the phoney war so grandma brought mum and her sister back to London, and then evacuated again when the blitz happened. She lived in poverty for much of this time.

Mum was at a 'Guild' school in London, Mary Datchelor's, for someone from her poor background a fantastic education. She went to Uni and did a maths degree, although she didn't graduate, partly I understand as too involved in running a Girl Guide unit and partly as she had to work to fund herself as her father refused to complete the financial forms. She then worked as a maths teacher at a boarding school, before working for Lloyds bank as a foreign exchange dealer in the city. She applied for a job in the bank of England and was turned down as she didn't pass security as her father was not British born (he had British nationality).

Mum was sporty, played a lot of tennis in her 20s resulting in cartilage ops (I'm guessing unusual in the 1950s), She was introduced to skiing in the early 60s by colleagues and was a member of a home counties water skiing club where she met my dad, she was on a Club Med holiday in Corfu in 1966 when he flew out to propose to her.

With her sister (a French bilingual secretary) she rode on a motorbike across Europe to Tripoli (different times!) where her sister worked as a secretary. My ex Sil heard a tale she climbed the matterhorn on one occasion.

She was a stay at home mum during my childhood, albeit we water skiied and skied from time to time (dad had bipolar so life was up and down). In my late teens she started lots of voluntary work, helping with Girl Guides again, lifesaving club trearsurer, reading in church, helping with the church toddler group, church cafe, and filing her life.

She adored her grandchildren, although sadly only the eldest really remembers her pre dementia, the youngest 3 being 8 6 and 4 when dementia really started changing her nearly 10 years ago.

There's much more she fitted in, avidly gardening, embroidery, clothes making.

She moved from abject poverty as a child to a comfortable life as an adult.

sdmhred

Jan 26, 2022
Surrey
How fascinating @jugglingmum
What a life story. All that richness. I’m glad you’re able to record it for us all to share. I’m so pleased to see from ur other post that ur mum was able to hold on to some independence until the end!

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
So glad to read about your mum's life. It's all too easy to remember the dementia years, and not all the ones that went before.
I hope all the funeral planning and admin is going smoothly.

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
Funeral arrangements are almost there.

Booked for 30th June as one or other of us is away in July. Funeral director weekend staff kindly booked it for us on Sat am. Not sure they normally do that but glad it's not August.

Music chosen. Poem chosen. Need to try and find somewhere for the wake as an early funeral and pubs not open. I have a place in mind.

Daughter has asked to say something.

Vicar is contacting me on Friday and then we should be there.

No death cert yet as GP not in until tomorrow but registrar appt booked for tomorrow as it's day 5.

There will be 8 of us there. But brother's ex and son have little contact with brother so will be interesting. We keep in touch with ex but not really brother.

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
In my juggling life I am currently making a cake as son is 18 tomorrow.

Mum's funeral is the day before son's party.

Son was really upset last weekend 3not sure how this affected his A level exams in the last 2 days. One more exam to go.

sdmhred

Jan 26, 2022
Surrey
Can the school contact the exam boards to give special consideration as he has had a bereavement during the exam period?.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
well, what a life your mum had. my nan died, my niece 18th birthday was the next day as well. hopefully, the funeral will go as well as can do. hope your sun enjoys his party.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
What an amazing life your mum had @jugglingmum. So interesting - thank you so much for sharing it here. I often think it’s sad that we only find out about what has shaped a person’s life after they die or at their funeral.

Difficult for your son - I also wondered about contacting the school regarding the exam board and special consideration but I don’t really know much about the education system in England.

I’m sure you will give your mum the send off she deserves and her life will be celebrated as she deserves.

Weasell

Oct 21, 2019
Your mum was an amazing woman.
I hope the funeral plans fall into place just as you want them.

I think it will be easier for you to ring the register rather than the doctor.
They receive the death certificate online.
All you do is contact them and say ‘ I’m coming to your wherever branch at 2pm, please can you look on the computer and confirm you have the death certificate’?
They say ‘yes’ and you just turn up.

Copies of the death certificates are £11 pound each. I found four enough as people return them and some you can photograph and send online.

Probate are quoting 16 weeks at present!

LynneMcV

Volunteer Moderator
May 9, 2012
south-east London
Thank you for sharing your mum's life story @jugglingmum - what a wonderful rich and varied life she led. Wishing you well with the funeral planning - I am sure you will do her proud. It sounds like it is all coming together nicely and it will be a wonderful tribute to an amazing lady.

Missodell18

Dec 16, 2022
Really enjoyed reading about your mum, @jugglingmum. It sounds like she had an amazing and very full life. It is very easy to 'forget' the person someone was before when something like dementia takes hold. I was recently going through a lot of my mum's thing (she's had dementia for 5+ years) and there was so much that I'd not exactly forgotten about but not thought about in so very long. Hope the funeral planning goes smoothly and it all goes as well as it can when the day comes around.

MarieD

Dec 26, 2021
Wow what an amazing life your mum lead she sounds like an incredible women who really lived life to the max. Thank you for sharing. My mother passed away in April I still find myself coming on here now and again.
Good luck with the funeral arrangements x

GillP

Aug 11, 2021
Your Mum was amazing, @jugglingmum. I have reread the post as I couldn’t take it all in. I am sure that the funeral will celebrate her life.

In another life I was deputy head of a secondary school and we would most certainly apply for extenuating circumstances to be applied. It would be an idea to get him to the GP explains that he is stressed by the circumstances.

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
I had hoped to keep this thread a bit more up to date.

Thank you everyone for your kind comments.

I spoke to the school Monday after mum died and I understand the necessary details have been passed to the exam board for my son.

I got death Cert on the Thursday, I got 5 copies, not sure how many I'll need but that gets me started.

Tried to do the tell us once on line on Thursday, and it wouldn't work. so phoned and still wouldn't work, so they checked details and wrong date of death entered by registrar, left answerphone message, phoned me back first thing Friday, emailed me a new code and sorted it out, but that was a bit stressful.

Wed 21st was son's 18th so his cards are on mantlepiece and sympathy cards are on windowsill.

With it being middle of A levels his birthday had been planned to be low key so I just made a Victoria Sandwich with chocolate buttercream.

Yesterday I went to Sheffield to help daughter finalise house move and bring back a couple of bikes she doesn't need for now. M56 was closed on the way home so that added an extra hour to the journey, 5 hours of driving.

Funeral was today, and went very well, flowers were perfectly as I'd requested. My daughter managed to read her memories from the grandchildren without a hitch. We all shed tears. Very traditional Anglican service as mum would have wanted. Small wake afterwards with a few of my friends that knew mum and my brother, his partner and his ex with his sons. All went well as I was worried when his ex and current partner hadn't met etc.
Not sure a glass of champagne at 11am is good for me but I wanted to toast mum.

Son's party for family friends is tomorrow so cake currently in oven. House and garden are rather neglected and everyone will have to ignore the dust.

Funeral admin around work and normal life (I've got a quadrathlon in 2 weeks so some training done) means I haven't done much with finance side yet. Hopefully start on that on Sunday.

Chizz

Jan 10, 2023
Kent
I had hoped to keep this thread a bit more up to date.

Thank you everyone for your kind comments.

I spoke to the school Monday after mum died and I understand the necessary details have been passed to the exam board for my son.

I got death Cert on the Thursday, I got 5 copies, not sure how many I'll need but that gets me started.

Tried to do the tell us once on line on Thursday, and it wouldn't work. so phoned and still wouldn't work, so they checked details and wrong date of death entered by registrar, left answerphone message, phoned me back first thing Friday, emailed me a new code and sorted it out, but that was a bit stressful.

Wed 21st was son's 18th so his cards are on mantlepiece and sympathy cards are on windowsill.

With it being middle of A levels his birthday had been planned to be low key so I just made a Victoria Sandwich with chocolate buttercream.

Yesterday I went to Sheffield to help daughter finalise house move and bring back a couple of bikes she doesn't need for now. M56 was closed on the way home so that added an extra hour to the journey, 5 hours of driving.

Funeral was today, and went very well, flowers were perfectly as I'd requested. My daughter managed to read her memories from the grandchildren without a hitch. We all shed tears. Very traditional Anglican service as mum would have wanted. Small wake afterwards with a few of my friends that knew mum and my brother, his partner and his ex with his sons. All went well as I was worried when his ex and current partner hadn't met etc.
Not sure a glass of champagne at 11am is good for me but I wanted to toast mum.

Son's party for family friends is tomorrow so cake currently in oven. House and garden are rather neglected and everyone will have to ignore the dust.

Funeral admin around work and normal life (I've got a quadrathlon in 2 weeks so some training done) means I haven't done much with finance side yet. Hopefully start on that on Sunday.
Hi @jugglingmum
You've done wonderfully well for each - mum's funeral, guiding son thru exams. Hope party goes to plan.
Then, before you start with sorting mum's estate / house / etc take a breather, a little bit of "me" time for you wouldn't go amiss. Get enough sleep. Get refreshed if you can. The next step will then be a bit easier.
Best wishes. You may even have to change your pen name as, hopefully, less juggling required!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
casi