Trying to get a passport - a rant!

Neveradullday!

Oct 12, 2022
England
Got it! Now I can get a photo driving licence.
IMG_20240612_102732.jpg

Neveradullday!

Oct 12, 2022
England
I've just applied for my photo driving licence online.
Entered details including passport number, NI number etc, paid £20.
They've said they need more info so will send a form. Is this the case with everyone?
The postcode on the old paper DL has a different last letter - our postcode was officially changed in 1991, maybe that's it.

Edit - I've just thought of something else - on the DL online application it said they will retrieve my photo from my passport, but also my signature. But I signed my passport this morning (as instructed) so there is obviously no digital record of my signature. Maybe they want my signature.
Did passports used to have a digital signature?
Do new photocard DLs no longer show a signature?

Edit 2 - https://www.theguardian.com/money/2...0-and-weeks-delay-for-driving-licence-renewal

Last edited:

Neveradullday!

Oct 12, 2022
England
When you had to apply by post you had to provide a signature.

Mine has, forced onto me at age 70, it's still there at 3 year renewals although my signature has degraded over the years.
They are sending me an 'application completion form' (DVLA form D1), to do 'one more thing' - I've already given them all the info on the form except my signature - this is obviously what they need.
As the Guardian link above says, passports issued after 2016 no longer have a digital signature (to save time/paper?), you just sign it in black ink as soon as you get it.