Trying to get a passport - a rant!

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Jeff has to be careful, some people he knows professionally (customers) might not meet
  • know the person applying as a friend, neighbour or colleague (not just someone who knows you professionally)
<Although in the past I could sign as off licence holder I used to sign for customers as sixth form college governor>

Neveradullday!

Oct 12, 2022
England
Jeff has to be careful, some people he knows professionally (customers) might not meet
  • know the person applying as a friend, neighbour or colleague (not just someone who knows you professionally)
<Although in the past I could sign as off licence holder I used to sign for customers as sixth form college governor>
We've never been customers (too greasy) - we always say hello/have a quick chat as we pass his shop, he has outdoor seating and often sits there himself - he has known us for well over 10 years. We live very close by. 🤞

Last edited:

sdmhred

Jan 26, 2022
Surrey
I was suprised to see the professionals rule - it must be relatively new. I have signed a few in my day as a professional - my clients with severe mental health won’t know anyone in the required categories ….

Neveradullday!

Oct 12, 2022
England
Just done a Google search. Someone (3 days ago) got the local chip shop owner to vouch for them (they'd been going to the chippy for years). It's been accepted.

I've got a funny feeling I'll dream of being chased by a passport sandwich tonight. 😌

Last edited:

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
I was suprised to see the professionals rule - it must be relatively new. I have signed a few in my day as a professional - my clients with severe mental health won’t know anyone in the required categories ….
I too think this is relatively new, although I have only ever certified for friends.

At one stage you had to be in employment to certify and complete employers details but it now says retired as well.

Someone at work did certify and company was contacted to confirm decades ago.

Not been asked on passport for a while.

Pre digitalisation driving licence applications needed certifying as well which I did a few of as children I knew got to 17.. Now linked to passport and uses passport photo (sons provisional applied for last year)

Last edited:

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
my clients with severe mental health won’t know anyone in the required categories ….
As a seagull has demonstrated the
'director, manager or personnel officer of a VAT-registered company' requirement
is an easy one to meet, anybody who runs (manages) a VAT registered concern can call themselves a manager.

Neveradullday!

Oct 12, 2022
England
Something very strange has just happened. 🤔 I've just received the following email -

Dear [my name]
Your passport application has been approved.

What happens next

Your new passport is being printed. We'll let you know when it's ready to dispatch.

[There's a bit about becoming an organ donor at the bottom]

Now, correct me if I'm wrong - I won't be asked for an interview.
Has something gone right for a change?

SeaSwallow

Volunteer Moderator
Oct 28, 2019
At a guess yes, they would not be talking about printing and dispatch if there were any more hurdles to jump.

SeaSwallow

Volunteer Moderator
Oct 28, 2019
Don’t forget, they also said - passport approved.
I really do think that it will be winging its way to you soon.

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
Hubby renewed his passport last month. Got that email on a Friday and email to confirm printed and despatched on Saturday. Passport arrived on Tuesday.

So all looking good

Neveradullday!

Oct 12, 2022
England
Shhh! THEY are listening.
Yes, wise words @Dave63

I've been told the passport has been printed and transferred to their delivery supplier to be delivered in the next few days. I'll be given a tracking reference.
Nothing can surely go wrong now? 🤔

Edit - just received a text from Royal Mail - my 'Passport Office parcel' is due tomorrow between 9.54 and 12.54. 🤞

Last edited: