Introduction

Rossi 1701

Jan 15, 2024
My name is Tony I care for my mum who is 92 with my sister,I am there at night and my sister is there during the day.
Some years ago my mum had a fall and ended up in hospital and had to have pin put in her hip a few years later we lost my dad to cancer and decided to do end of life at home,my mum never left his side for the few weeks he had left they had been together for 67 years.
After that her health has deteriorated she has sciatica acid reflux also a compressed disc in her back. She has gone from being a very independent woman to almost bed ridden over the last few months her memory has got worse and worse she sees people and hears voices and gets confused a lot.
None of the the medications that have been recommended by the hospital or doctors seem to help with her pain.
She also suffers with deppression and just wants to die.
We managed to get a carer in to look after her one day a week but that has been so hard for her to accept she doesn't take it out on the carer but does with myself and my sister.
The pain and mood changes are worst at night early morning.
Any help would be much appreciated.
Just writing this down has helped.
Thank Tony

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Welcome to the forum @Rossi 1701.

I’m so sorry to read about your mum. It’s so sad and must be very hard for you and your sister.

It sounds as if you need more help than a carer one day a week but I understand that this might be even more difficult for your mum to accept.

I’m glad you‘ve found this forum and that it has helped to write things down.

Rossi 1701

Jan 15, 2024
Hi Jennifer sorry for the late reply ended up in A+E most of yesterday.
Yes we have tried pain patches did not work,the doctor has now advised a morphine patch which seems to help a little.
To add a little more detail her pain is really bad in the early hours of the morning from about 4 am then after about one to two hours it will ease.
Yesterday it didn't ended up in hospital they gave her a small amount of liquid morphine which helped.
Tony

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
Hi Jennifer sorry for the late reply ended up in A+E most of yesterday.
Yes we have tried pain patches did not work,the doctor has now advised a morphine patch which seems to help a little.
To add a little more detail her pain is really bad in the early hours of the morning from about 4 am then after about one to two hours it will ease.
Yesterday it didn't ended up in hospital they gave her a small amount of liquid morphine which helped.
Tony
i had morphine patches for about a year. they are slow release so takes a day to work in once you have put them on. im now on morphine tablets which doesnt build up like the patch. maybe she needs to lay in a different position. im my back, it is more painful

Rossi 1701

Jan 15, 2024
Mum sleeps on her side will suggest she try a different position.
But very hard to tell her anything when she's in pain thanks for the advice