Im saying hello and help

Jac08

May 30, 2023
Mum aged 90 diagnosed with dementia. Dad had accident and has now passed, within six weeks we also lost one of dad's brothers and his sister. I moved in with mum 6 months ago while dad was in hospital and I'm still here. Mum not eating very much if anything, has the occasional bout of being sick. Normally in the morning. Does not last all day just early. Sleeps most of day and will sort of chat when awake but if anyone else comes in she closes her eyes as if asleep. Her mobility is not good so we don't go anywhere. I do try to get her to go out but she just says no and closes her eyes. Anyone else experiencing the same.

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
Hello @Jac08 and welcome to posting on the forum. You have been through such a lot recently, sorry for your loss. Sleeping a lot and a reduced appetite is quite common when someone is in the later stages of dementia, and your mum shutting her eyes when more than one person is there is possibly because it can feel a bit overwhelming if there is to much going on at once. Perhaps speak to the GP about your mum's bouts of sickness and lack of appetite if you haven't already as they may want to check her over. I hope that you are receiving some support for yourself too, so that you can go out or have a break occasionally? Caring for someone with dementia is so difficult but this is a friendly group where you will find support from people who understand, you won't be on your own here.

Jac08

May 30, 2023
Hello everyone and thankyou louise7 for making contact. I have talked to doctor about mum and because its not regular he thinks its just one of those things. I have heard that sometimes tablets get stuck and that could cause lt. Im glad to hear you are all friendly, and although i have some family to help i dont get much time away but we are trying. Hello @Jac08 and welcome to posting on the forum. You have been through such a lot recently, sorry for your loss. Sleeping a lot and a reduced appetite is quite common when someone is in the later stages of dementia, and your mum shutting her eyes when more than one person is there is possibly because it can feel a bit overwhelming if there is to much going on at once. Perhaps speak to the GP about your mum's bouts of sickness and lack of appetite if you haven't already as they may want to check her over. I hope that you are receiving some support for yourself too, so that you can go out or have a break occasionally? Caring for someone with dementia is so difficult but this is a friendly group where you will find support from people who understand, you won't be on your own here.

Jac08

May 30, 2023
Not sure how I can help mum, we sit chatting, mostly one sided, all of a sudden she will burst into tears, she can’t explain why, she only does this when it’s just me and her on our own. It’s not just few tears it’s proper hard sobbing. I know as a family we have all been through a lot. I have seen doctor and he gave her something to help. She is having a few falls, when she speaks she is not making any sense, she only says few words then gives up, I try to encourage her but she shuts her eyes as though to say …leave me alone.she won’t eat much and some days I can not get her to drink more than a couple cups of tea. She won’t use her left arm unless you tell her to and then she appears not to know what to do with it. Anyone else experiencing things like this

Spottydog

Dec 8, 2023
My dad is losing his words at an alarming rate making conversation really difficult. What I have learnt is that trying to have a conversation takes a lot of mental brainpower on his part so I let him lead conversation and if I don't understand I try to just nod along and keep him happy. I am sure your mum will be gaining a lot of comfort from you just being by her side and this might be what enables her to express her sadness and frustration through the tears. Best wishes.