Risperidone

SweetfannyAdams

Mar 16, 2024
My dad has been put on risperidone due to his behaviour. He spent 5 months in hospital following a UTI which caused horrific delusions and hallucinations and was finally released to a care home. He showed signs of paranoid psychotic behaviour… fears of contamination and huge anxiety. So he has been prescribed risperidone which has worked wonders, he’s calmer and eating well. Visits are now actually pleasant, whereas before they were a nightmare! I think my question is… how long can he be prescribed this? And does it work long term?. He is currently being put out for brokerage to find him another home, but we ultimately would like him to stay where he is as it’s local to him and my mother (she lives 5 minutes walk away) and it’s in the town he grew up in. I think he has improved considerably and think he’s at a level that the home can deal with. Just not sure how another move will impact on him. Sorry, this is long and rambling x

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello @SweetfannyAdams

My wife was on Risperidone for some 15mths before it began to lose it's effect on her and she has been on a different antipsychotic for a similar period now.

Some publications suggest that these meds are for short term use but that doesn't seem to fit how they are used.

SweetfannyAdams

Mar 16, 2024
Hello @SweetfannyAdams

My wife was on Risperidone for some 15mths before it began to lose it's effect on her and she has been on a different antipsychotic for a similar period now.

Some publications suggest that these meds are for short term use but that doesn't seem to fit how they are used.
Thank you @karaokePete that’s interesting to hear. As you say, publications suggest short term use. The change in dad is making all the difference and I can’t imagine what he would be like if they stop them.
Thank you for your reply, with all best wishes x