Hello

VJ22

Jun 28, 2024
Hello,
My husband became very unwell in 2020 when out of the blue he developed
pneumonia, sepsis, complications of pneumonia Empyema, a subsequent lung operation and a stay on the high dependency unit. Soon after being hospitalised he developed delirium with dreadful hallucinations. He absconded from the hospital and all in all it was a dreadful time. Once home he was traumatised by the whole experience and disorientated and fearful. Gradually, over the next few months the effects of the delirium began to improve. However
his memory seemed badly affected.
He was referred to the memory clinic and they concluded the trauma of what he’d been through, plus the fear of catching Covid was the cause. He was given a diagnosis of MCI. He was recalled for a further assessment the following year and discharged in Dec 2022. However for the past year or so I believe he has been experiencing symptoms of dementia. He finally agreed to see the GP recently who did a thorough check and has referred him to the MC again. In the meantime I’m struggling a bit with some of his behaviours and hoping that reading other people’s experiences will be helpful.
Thank you.