Your tips: arranging respite care for a person with dementia

Status
Not open for further replies.

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
I've spent weeks trying to work out how to get my husband into emergency respite care close to home in the event of me suddenly being hospitalised. I've emailed 2 and had no replies.
I found 2 more. Found 2 more on the Social Services website which are run by them. Looked at their latest inspections and both require improvement. Don't know where to go from here
My former GP used to have book about arranging social and respite care.

Jayne1962

Nov 28, 2021
I thought I was doing the right thing when I was going on holiday and visited the care home with my dad.it turned out to be a nightmare for one week -although they fed him he said it was never enough they left him alone a lot of the time and he ended up in hospital after a fall -he said he was left lying on the floor for hours shouting for help
People came into his room and stole clothes from his things
Unfortunately I could not believe the bad things that had happened and felt that it had made him ten times worse than before
He still goes on about it even now that he was a prisoner and it was run by prostitues so how could I believe him?
Yes some of his clothes were missing but I’ll never know how much of the bad things were true or just hallucinations
When we visited together it seemed the perfect place to go -everything seemed ideal
Good luck
I really thought it was my fault for putting him in there but apparently the illness progresses whatever or wherever they are

HarrietD

Staff Member
Staff member
Apr 29, 2014
London
Thanks so much everyone. We'll be closing this thread now, but really appreciate all your comments :)

Status
Not open for further replies.