Young Onset Homes (Respite) Options

Learner

Oct 6, 2011
Hi All,

Can anyone recommend any decent nursing homes for respite care, particularly tailored for people with young onset Alzheimer's in North London/Hertfordshire.

My mum is 64 this December and has been diagnosed since 2010.
She is in a pretty advanced stage now. She is unable to recognise any of the family, is incontinent, requires looking after 24*7 via her carer etc.

She currently lives at home but our carer is going away for 6 weeks in July.
I am not certain our agency will cover in her absence because unfortunately my mum can be a little aggressive sometimes. She is being given medication for this, but thus far we have been unable to find the right medication/dosis to take the exuberance off her behaviour.

I'm now making plans in case they can't/won't cover and wanted to ask if anyone could recommend a good home and/or websites I could view in the North London/Hertfordshire area.

It would be for 6 weeks. Obviously I'd love somewhere near to our house, but I'm realistic and also would prefer mum is in a decent place for that time.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks
Learner

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
I don't think the rules allow for someone to do this on the site, it would have to be a private message which will show up in the notifications on the top menu bar.
You could ask your local Social Services, they gave me a list although they won't actually recommend any specific home. You need local advise so you could go to the nearest AGEUK, dementia café or AZ society and ask around, even if you don't get a recommend you may get some avoids.
From the sound of things you probably need an EMI nursing home rather than just a normal care home and don't underplay her condition, last thing you want is them phoning you 24 hours after she arrives and telling you they can't cope and you have to come and get her.
I'd be surprised if the agency you currently use didn't want to supply cover as it must be worth a lot of money to them, however, whether the temporary cover will work as well given it will be strangers who don't know her the way her current carer does is a whole different question. Any change no matter how slight can bring new problems.
K

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello Learner

I`m sorry we cannot approve recommendations for homes because a] everyone has different needs and requirements and b] staff and management changes can affect the quality of care.

Social Services should provide a list of available homes in your area and you can see their reviews on line and visit them personally.

Do not make appointments to visit, just drop in unexpectedly. Any good home should be able to welcome a spontaneous visit.

Good luck.