young dementia

olliebel

May 1, 2017
Harlow Essex
Thank you for letting me register. My husband was diagnosed with Dementia 3 years ago at 60 years old. His employer referred him as they noticed lack of concentration and mistakes in his very important role. He was suspended on the spot after 42 years. which was very upsetting. Most recently he has had falls and now in hospital after losing the mobility in his legs. He has always been an active man (enjoyed badminton until a few weeks ago when he was losing his balance and very woobly on his feet until he collapsed on the floor. I am not getting many answers to why this has happened. Can this be part of the dementia. He is on the physio rehab ward to get him walking again, but this is a very slow process. I really dont know what is happening.

LynneMcV

Volunteer Moderator
May 9, 2012
south-east London
Hi Olliebel, sorry, I have only just spotted your post.

I hope your husband is doing better now since you first posted and I suspect that tests have since taken place which might indicate if the loss of mobility is a result of the dementia or some other reason.

My husband is the same age as yours and was diagnosed at 58. Again, like your husband, he had always been very sporty and active. I'm sorry to say that the progress of dementia has affected his mobility. He can still walk, though there are days when he seems to forget how to walk. In his case it is not a permanent loss of mobility - however, he is slow and becoming more and more unsteady on his feet now. He has started to lean precariously to the side when walking, to the point where he looks like he will fall over.

I can imagine how upsetting it must have been for your husband to be suspended on the spot like he was. My husband was devastated at no longer being able to do his job and it took a lot of time to build his confidence up again. Funnily enough, the diagnosis of dementia actually helped a lot in that respect because he then understood that it was down to a disease he had no control over rather than incompetence or stupidity on his part (which is how he'd been judging himself).

Do let us know how your husband is doing now.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello olliebel

I`m so sorry your post seems to have slipped through the net and has only now been found. I do hope you haven`t given up in despair after having no replies.

I`m not really surprised no one has the answer to your husband`s loss of mobility and what sounds like loss of strength in his legs. At least it`s being taken seriously and I hope the physic will help.

Please post an update and let us know how he is getting on.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fraoch