You can hide from covid, but sooner or later...

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Oh my goodness. How poignant.

I’m glad you didn’t delete your post here. Please keep posting - you know you’ll get lots of understanding and support.

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
@Andrew_McP , that isn't a tweet, that is a very good poem. You really do have talent you know. Your generosity, firstly in your care for your mother, and secondly in your grace in forgiving your father for any harm he did you shines through.
I hope someone among your family and friends is looking out for you.

lemonbalm

May 21, 2018
I'm so sorry @Andrew_McP
What a lovely compassionate person you sound (I doubt you have a selfish bone in your body).
Be gentle with yourself - and look after yourself as well as your mum. She is indeed lucky to have you.

Suze99

Nov 8, 2020
I'm so sorry for your loss. You are doing an outstanding job caring for your mum. Please be kind to yourself. What a very poignant poem. You are very talented.

Lemondrizzle

Aug 26, 2018
I am sorry for your loss and the difficulties you faced. I too have had to make the decision not to visit a dying relative to protect my own home. I don't consider you were selfish and your post has in fact helped to make me understand that if I can't spot selfishness in your post, then perhaps I wasn't selfish either.

Andrew_McP

Mar 2, 2016
South Northwest
I am sorry for your loss and the difficulties you faced. I too have had to make the decision not to visit a dying relative to protect my own home. I don't consider you were selfish and your post has in fact helped to make me understand that if I can't spot selfishness in your post, then perhaps I wasn't selfish either.
That's made me feel a bit better about all the waffling, thanks.

And thanks again for your thoughts everyone. I tortured myself a bit more earlier by trying to leave a message on Dad's answering service. It was often the only way to get to him, because he wouldn't hear the phone. I just wanted to say goodbye.

Daft sod. This is real life, not a movie. Which is why his message box was full, so I couldn't even do that! Blubbed like a kid who's dropped his ice cream.

I'm very much hoping that tomorrow I'll rediscover a bit of my more rational self. This maudlin, regretful mess is unpleasant to live with, and it's getting to Mum a bit too, with a couple of sudden tearful episodes from her.

Focus, Andrew! Or at least do the washing up. Tidy home, tidy mind, all that sensible stuff. Tomorrow will be slightly better... or slightly worse. Or the same. But it will be another opportunity to do the carpe diem thing.

Or the washing up, again.

Night all.

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
@Andrew_McP You are one of the most unselfish people that I can think of. You have looked after your mother in the most caring and unselfish way. I know this because I did the same for dad and I know what it costs us in so many ways and I don't mean monetary. You were right to put your mum first although it is very sad about your dad and that will weigh heavily upon you although it shouldn't but you are obviously a very caring person so it probably will. A train ride would have been unwise because you don't want to pass covid to your mum so I think you did the right thing.

I am so sorry that you did not get to see your dad one last time and it is unfair but you must cut yourself some slack because you cannot be in two places at the same time and you obviously couldn't leave your mum. A rock and a hard place come to mind and I hope that you are not too hard on yourself. Your dad is at peace now and I am sure that he would be proud of you.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leigh_77