You can hide from covid, but sooner or later...

Andrew_McP

Mar 2, 2016
South Northwest
I've been in read-only mode for a long time. My views on the lives we allow our decaying loved ones to lead have only hardened as I supervise Mum's relentless decline, and it's made me... incompatible with the levels of compassion required to be civilised at times. Best to keep quiet than to risk upsetting folk again.

But I need to vent somewhere now, before I crack, and who else is going to understand the tortures dementia puts us through?

My mother's ongoing decline has been hard, but expected. We no longer go out for walks; I just help her hobble between bed and loo, loo and chair, chair and loo, loo and bed. Where this time last year we were getting back towards a mile a day after her broken leg, as the year drew on and the days got shorter, so did our walks. As the light faded, so did Mum's balance. And by Christmas she was housebound. Soon she will be bedbound.

We have a wheelchair now, and I used it to get Mum to a rather pokey and more crowded than I hoped vaccination centre last Saturday, so when the weather improves we will get out. But the less you use your body, the faster your body falls apart. It is the next phase of decay and it is... a challenge, mentally and physically.

We go on though. Because that's what you do.

Meanwhile, my father's health has declined. I made him promise not to get ill until I'd finished helping Mum on her journey, but... parents, nothing but trouble! They divorced a very long time ago and Dad was always a relatively distant part of my life, especially as he became part of a new family 20 miles away from Mum.

But Mum's decline brought us closer together. Partly because I was back up this end of the country. Partly because he was increasingly my biggest connection to Mum's evaporating past. And partly because it felt like his 'new' family weren't really keeping an eye on how he lived and aged when he wasn't with them. He was slipping towards some kind of mental decline too. But slowly, thankfully.

However last year he developed a mystery heart condition which stopped his walks and slowly dragged him down. I hoped maybe he'd had mild covid and this was a long covid type thing. But it wasn't and as his deafness also worsened, so did my ability to be any use to him whatsoever on the phone. I saw him just before the first lockdown, but then -- like so many -- I started taking shielding Mum very seriously indeed to avoid her dying alone in hospital. I've even paid our carer to stay away 'on call' for most of the year, because she has multiple clients (when they weren't scared, too) and a life of sorts. Even with the best of care and intentions, she was the most likely way covid would get through my care home-like paranoia.

So it was phone contact only with Dad. I should point out though that my brother stepped up well to help Dad, and my sister was able to do a little too. But neither could spend the kind of time he needed, and both live a lot further away. So, inevitably, Dad's decline eventually ended up with him hospitalised in early January. At first for a few days, then a few weeks as they struggled to control his problems. Then it started to look like it might be terminal.

And then covid caught up with him, earlier this week. He's now on 1-1 care, with some days more lucid than others, and they're trying to discharge him to a care home of some kind to, well... die, so they can try to save someone with a chance of surviving. I'm not up entirely sure what's going on and it's my brother who's dealing with it all as the main contact. He's even been in to visit, given full PPE because Dad's dying.

And I could go too.

This -- finally I get to the point -- is the reason I'm typing. I'm only an hour and a half away by train & walking to avoid any more contact than necessary. But no matter how hard my heart tells me I need to see him, and no matter how the nursing staff assure me I'll be safe, my head insists I can't spend time in a covid ward and risk bringing it home. Mum wouldn't last ten minutes. We're already managing a cough which rattles towards infection regularly. And she has the immune system with all the strength of a wet paper bag!

Of course there's that hard hearted bit of me which says "she wouldn't want to live like this anyway, so surely it's a risk worth taking?" But I've put so much effort into keeping her safe from this bloody virus... probably because I can't protect her from bloody dementia! And my brother's taking the risks so I don't have to. And if I get ill first, who's going to look after her?

Maybe if Dad can hang on a couple more weeks, Mum's first vaccine will have built up her resistance and I can take a more calculated risk. But you only have one day at a time to make choices. And eventually those choices run out.

And sometimes you can just go round and round and round in circles, finding new ways to torture yourself. Dad might have been a lousy husband and parent, but he's still my Dad. And I think part of the light at the end of the tunnel with Mum was the idea that I might find a purpose in life helping him once she's gone. So there's a bit of selfishness going on too, I'm sure. It's an emotional mess, and I don't get enough sleep these days to be coping with emotional mess well!

Anyway, enough self-indulgence. I can't do anything for Dad right now, but I can make sure Mum's tucked in properly and Little Ted hasn't slipped from her grasp. He has an important job to do; keeping her safe while I chase some of that elusive sleep.

Thanks to anyone who made it this far... I appear to have combined a year's words into one post. And best wishes to everyone out there going through similar problems. We are not the first. We won't, sadly, be the last.

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
I've been in read-only mode for a long time. My views on the lives we allow our decaying loved ones to lead have only hardened as I supervise Mum's relentless decline, and it's made me... incompatible with the levels of compassion required to be civilised at times. Best to keep quiet than to risk upsetting folk again.

But I need to vent somewhere now, before I crack, and who else is going to understand the tortures dementia puts us through?

My mother's ongoing decline has been hard, but expected. We no longer go out for walks; I just help her hobble between bed and loo, loo and chair, chair and loo, loo and bed. Where this time last year we were getting back towards a mile a day after her broken leg, as the year drew on and the days got shorter, so did our walks. As the light faded, so did Mum's balance. And by Christmas she was housebound. Soon she will be bedbound.

We have a wheelchair now, and I used it to get Mum to a rather pokey and more crowded than I hoped vaccination centre last Saturday, so when the weather improves we will get out. But the less you use your body, the faster your body falls apart. It is the next phase of decay and it is... a challenge, mentally and physically.

We go on though. Because that's what you do.

Meanwhile, my father's health has declined. I made him promise not to get ill until I'd finished helping Mum on her journey, but... parents, nothing but trouble! They divorced a very long time ago and Dad was always a relatively distant part of my life, especially as he became part of a new family 20 miles away from Mum.

But Mum's decline brought us closer together. Partly because I was back up this end of the country. Partly because he was increasingly my biggest connection to Mum's evaporating past. And partly because it felt like his 'new' family weren't really keeping an eye on how he lived and aged when he wasn't with them. He was slipping towards some kind of mental decline too. But slowly, thankfully.

However last year he developed a mystery heart condition which stopped his walks and slowly dragged him down. I hoped maybe he'd had mild covid and this was a long covid type thing. But it wasn't and as his deafness also worsened, so did my ability to be any use to him whatsoever on the phone. I saw him just before the first lockdown, but then -- like so many -- I started taking shielding Mum very seriously indeed to avoid her dying alone in hospital. I've even paid our carer to stay away 'on call' for most of the year, because she has multiple clients (when they weren't scared, too) and a life of sorts. Even with the best of care and intentions, she was the most likely way covid would get through my care home-like paranoia.

So it was phone contact only with Dad. I should point out though that my brother stepped up well to help Dad, and my sister was able to do a little too. But neither could spend the kind of time he needed, and both live a lot further away. So, inevitably, Dad's decline eventually ended up with him hospitalised in early January. At first for a few days, then a few weeks as they struggled to control his problems. Then it started to look like it might be terminal.

And then covid caught up with him, earlier this week. He's now on 1-1 care, with some days more lucid than others, and they're trying to discharge him to a care home of some kind to, well... die, so they can try to save someone with a chance of surviving. I'm not up entirely sure what's going on and it's my brother who's dealing with it all as the main contact. He's even been in to visit, given full PPE because Dad's dying.

And I could go too.

This -- finally I get to the point -- is the reason I'm typing. I'm only an hour and a half away by train & walking to avoid any more contact than necessary. But no matter how hard my heart tells me I need to see him, and no matter how the nursing staff assure me I'll be safe, my head insists I can't spend time in a covid ward and risk bringing it home. Mum wouldn't last ten minutes. We're already managing a cough which rattles towards infection regularly. And she has the immune system with all the strength of a wet paper bag!

Of course there's that hard hearted bit of me which says "she wouldn't want to live like this anyway, so surely it's a risk worth taking?" But I've put so much effort into keeping her safe from this bloody virus... probably because I can't protect her from bloody dementia! And my brother's taking the risks so I don't have to. And if I get ill first, who's going to look after her?

Maybe if Dad can hang on a couple more weeks, Mum's first vaccine will have built up her resistance and I can take a more calculated risk. But you only have one day at a time to make choices. And eventually those choices run out.

And sometimes you can just go round and round and round in circles, finding new ways to torture yourself. Dad might have been a lousy husband and parent, but he's still my Dad. And I think part of the light at the end of the tunnel with Mum was the idea that I might find a purpose in life helping him once she's gone. So there's a bit of selfishness going on too, I'm sure. It's an emotional mess, and I don't get enough sleep these days to be coping with emotional mess well!

Anyway, enough self-indulgence. I can't do anything for Dad right now, but I can make sure Mum's tucked in properly and Little Ted hasn't slipped from her grasp. He has an important job to do; keeping her safe while I chase some of that elusive sleep.

Thanks to anyone who made it this far... I appear to have combined a year's words into one post. And best wishes to everyone out there going through similar problems. We are not the first. We won't, sadly, be the last.
Covid 19 has revealed in no uncertain ways, the problems that besets the aging population and the people who care for those we love or take responsibility for.

Firstly, I don't think you are selfish at all as I think you are doing everything you can, perhaps so much that you are becoming a little overwhelmed by your sense of responsibility for both of your parents. And frustration at not being able to do more.

The only advice I can give you is to do what you think is right and don't blame yourself for things you cannot control. Covid is running the show, not you and that places restrictions on everybody. It also presents us with problems that we have no way of solving.

Sometimes we just have to accept that just is how things are without letting guilt interfere with and colour your emotions. You cannot split yourself down the middle.

I am so sorry that all this is happening to you and wish you strength to deal with what lies ahead.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I’m so sorry to read about your situation @Andrew_McP. I’m another who doesn’t think your are at all selfish. You are faced with a dilemma which is tearing you apart. I have no wise words - I just want to say that I hope it has helped to share how you are feeling here. You know they’re will always be someone here to listen and support. I wish you strength for the days ahead.

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
Hello @Andrew_McP It's a difficult situation but as your brother is going into the hospital and visiting your dad could he conduct a video call on his phone/tablet so that your can see your Dad and say to him the things that you want to say? Not quite the same situation, but my Mum is in a care home and visits have been very limited since March and the care home will only allow one visitor. During visits I therefore conduct a whatsapp video call with my sister so that she can see mum and talk to her. Even though mum isn't able to talk back she does seem to recognise my sister's voice so perhaps if you did something similar it might be a sensible balance between minimising the risks for your mum but also seeing/connecting with your dad?

lemonbalm

May 21, 2018
I'm sorry to read your post @Andrew_McP

I want you to know, in the hope that it helps, that I found out last night my mother is very ill with Covid in her care-home. She has dementia and video calls do not work for her but I spoke to her on a loudspeaker 'phone a couple of days ago. She could not respond but apparently smiled to hear my voice. She has deteriorated a lot since then. There is a small chance that she will recover but it is unlikely.

I have made the difficult decision not to visit, even when I would be allowed to, to protect my husband, who has chronic asthma. I can't risk losing them both. I know that mum is in good kind hands.

We are having to make terrible decisions in this strange new world and we can only do what we feel is the right thing at the time with the information that we have.

You are looking after your mum and that is your top priority. You sound a very kind person who is doing a marvelous job. Perhaps you can speak to your Dad on the phone or try a video call as suggested. As you say, take a day at a time.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
im so sorry lemonbalm to read that your mum is so ill and for taking the difficult decision for the love of your husband. this speaks volumes of your love for your husband and your mum. you have always been so supportive to me in the past, now its time to repay your kindness.

lemonbalm

May 21, 2018
im so sorry lemonbalm to read that your mum is so ill and for taking the difficult decision for the love of your husband. this speaks volumes of your love for your husband and your mum. you have always been so supportive to me in the past, now its time to repay your kindness.
Thank you. I think there must be many people making difficult decisions at the moment.

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
@Andrew_McP and @lemonbalm I'm so sorry that you're both having to make these difficult decisions. You both come over as extremely caring and unselfish people and I hope you can find some comfort in knowing that your loved ones are not alone.

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
@Andrew_McP , I was wondering how you and your mum were doing. I have always enjoyed your posts, so compassionate and so well written. I do hope you are keeping them all for a book. I am so sorry to hear about your dad, but I think @Louise7's idea of a whatapp video call or similar is a good one, and I'm going to suggest to my brother that's what we do next time I go to visit mum. He hasn't seen her since May 2019 due to his own ill health. I think at the moment your mum has to be your priority, but as you say take one day at a time
So sorry to hear about your mother @lemonbalm , and the hard choices that you have had to make.

Weasell

Oct 21, 2019

I want you to know, in the hope that it helps, that I found out last night my mother is very ill with Covid in her care-home. She has dementia and video calls do not work for her but I spoke to her on a loudspeaker 'phone a couple of days ago. She could not respond but apparently smiled to hear my voice. She has deteriorated a lot since then. There is a small chance that she will recover but it is unlikely.

I have made the difficult decision not to visit, even when I would be allowed to, to protect my husband, who has chronic asthma. I can't risk losing them both. I know that mum is in good kind hands.

We are having to make terrible decisions in this strange new world and we can only do what we feel is the right thing at the time with the information that we have.

You are looking after your mum and that is your top priority. You sound a very kind person who is doing a marvelous job. Perhaps you can speak to your Dad on the phone or try a video call as suggested. As you say, take a day at a time.
I am so sorry to hear that terrible news.
I think you are very intelligent to make that decision.
There are concerns around ‘ normal ppe’ and the new strain of Covid and if the protection is enough.

I can’t help thinking if the pre dementia mum was told you would visit her in an end of life situation, that put your husband at any type of risk she would be screaming ‘no stay away, stay away’!

If you lived in Spain as many do then you would not be able to visit, and accept it as impossible.

Be prepared that at a later date you will hit yourself with the guilt stick ( because that is what we do to ourselves). But most important is that whatever guilt you feel it will not be because you took a risk , and that risk ruined someone else’s life.

Your kindness comes out in all your posts. Your mother will have benefitted from a life time of that kindness, she has been a lucky woman.

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex

I'm very sorry for both @lemonbalm and @Andrew_McP to selfless people who are dedicated to your parents. You should be proud of yourselves.

Thinking about you both

MaNaAk

Andrew_McP

Mar 2, 2016
South Northwest
Thanks everyone, especially @lemonbalm

My brother was rung earlier, but he didn't make it in time. Just had 'that call'. Dad's at peace now.

I did nearly manage to Zoom 'at' him yesterday, but I the first time I messed it up and the second time they contacted my brother instead of me, it all got a bit embarrassing and I just apologised for wasting their valuable time.

Dad would have smiled at my foolishness.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I’m so sorry to read your update. I’m glad your dad is at peace now. Your love and care for your dad shines through your posts. Sending my condolences and wishing your strength for the days and weeks to come.

DreamsAreReal

Oct 17, 2015
@Andrew_McP My condolences on the loss of your Father.

And in answer to your first post, I don’t think you’re selfish at all, you’re doing your best in a near-impossible situation and that’s all anyone can do.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
I am so sorry for your loss.

Sometimes there are no good solutions
(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((hugs))))))))))))))))))))))

Andrew_McP

Mar 2, 2016
South Northwest
Thanks everyone. In the early hours I nearly deleted what I posted, but I'm glad I didn't.

The weirdest thing about all this is I'm sat here trying not to get too sad in front of Mum. But if she understood what had happened this morning, she'd be cheering. She was never able to forgive Dad for the physical, mental, and financial damage he did to her... more by human ineptitude than deliberately, I always felt.

He had an operation that went wrong in his teens and he was never the same again; struggling in low level work -- and lying about that to Mum -- whereas his siblings were very successful. That was no comfort to Mum though, and she nearly ran away from their wedding despite being pregnant with me. Later, Dad's mother said to Mum: "Thank you for taking him off our hands, Margaret."

I've never been married, so my expertise is a bit thin on the ground. But I don't think that's the way you're supposed to start.

Anyway, Mum was always scared he might come back to see her one day, which is why we never let him know where Mum... and therefore I, had moved to. He kind of understood, but he never really understood why she hated him so much.

Dad didn't understand a lot, which was part of the problem. But it's not so long ago that he thanked me again for looking after Mum. He considered it should have been his job, even though they were divorced so very long ago. His memory of how things were and the reality were... muddled.

But life is muddle! and his muddle's finally unravelled.

I tell you what though, part of me was hoping that 6 years of sadness with Mum's decline had toughened me up a bit. Turns out there's no limit to the sadness we can feel, which is a bit of a disappointment.

Fortunately I have Mum's needs to focus on. It helps. I think. But before I go, for now, here's a Twitter post I've been messing with for the last 24 hours. Twitter's handy for me... limits my inclination to go on, and on. I was actually fiddling with it when I got the call. No need to edit it any more.

I'm 5
You're off to work
Your scooter rips dawn's peace apart
I listen
Hard
Harder
HARDER
You're gone
I cry because
I worry
I don't know why

I'm 57