Would a care home be better for mum than living alone

Norfolk Cherry

Feb 17, 2018
Avalon, I have the same dilemma with my dad , I know he would be better in a care home than sitting alone in his chair all day. care workers come in the morning to wash him and prompt his medication and I visit every afternoon to prepare his meals and sort out everything else but he doesn't remember whose been or what time of day it is . He would be local authority funded and they aren't prepared to pay for him to go into a home when im away even so unless he starts having falls or wandering I think he's stuck at home with their limited support and paying from his savings for the extra support he needs. We are paying for him to go into a home for 2 weeks respite whilst im on holiday in May so it will be interesting to see how he gets on there and what the care home staff think he needs. im sure someone else on here will be able to offer some advice that maybe both of us could find useful ...
I would be really interested to know how he gets on as I am supporting my mum at home and I'm really not sure if it's better? She can afford to go into a home, but I think she would hate the day room idea as she is a very private person. I think she would just sit in her bedroom all day, whereas at least in her own home she can potter and water the plants and wash up. I'm worried that if I put her in to a care home for respite, she won't cope with being back at home?! Even if she wants to. It's a minefield.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
There comes a time when you have to go with what the PWD needs rather than what either you or they want, or would have wanted in the past.

I thought mum would hate being in a home, but she settled, made friends and joined in all the activities. It was the best decision.

Norfolk Cherry

Feb 17, 2018
There comes a time when you have to go with what the PWD needs rather than what either you or they want, or would have wanted in the past.

I thought mum would hate being in a home, but she settled, made friends and joined in all the activities. It was the best decision.
Thanks Canary. I appreciate all the advice about how to approach this. I'm thinking about putting her into respite just for a couple of nights to try it out, rather than for a week whilst I go on holiday. I did take her to a day centre for two years but she said she didn't like it because "there were some funny people there, and they weren't quite right in the head" !

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Avalon, I have the same dilemma with my dad , I know he would be better in a care home than sitting alone in his chair all day. care workers come in the morning to wash him and prompt his medication and I visit every afternoon to prepare his meals and sort out everything else but he doesn't remember whose been or what time of day it is . He would be local authority funded and they aren't prepared to pay for him to go into a home when im away even so unless he starts having falls or wandering I think he's stuck at home with their limited support and paying from his savings for the extra support he needs. We are paying for him to go into a home for 2 weeks respite whilst im on holiday in May so it will be interesting to see how he gets on there and what the care home staff think he needs. im sure someone else on here will be able to offer some advice that maybe both of us could find useful ...

Please let me know how he gets on because I will be going on holiday late July/early August and I will be in the same boat as you.

MaNaAk