Worried my husband may have signs of Alzheimer’s/dementia

Jam19

Apr 26, 2019
Hi, hope it’s ok to post on here? My husband is in his mid-50’s and for the past year I’ve noticed that my husbands short term memory is getting worse, he has also started randomly ranting/losing his temper about little things ,he is also struggling to sleep( started getting up 4/5am) we have three sons aged 14, 11 & 4, yesterday was the final straw , I happened to mention about our youngests nursery session today ( he’s been going at the same time every Friday for nearly two years) & my husband went into s huge rant in the car about me springing this session on him, what right did I have to organise things without him , stopping him from going to work etc etc, he had completely forgotten about the Friday session, he’s forgotten a lot of things recently and I’ve been accused of tricking him/not telling him before but this complete fit of rage in front of my children was scary and it was like my husband whom I’ve known for 19 years had dissapeared for a few moments, this morning when I tried yet again suggest he goes to the doctor he denied yesterday happened and that there’s nothing wrong with his memory , I’m not sure what to do now, I’ve thought about discussing it with my two adult step-children but it feels like I’m going behind his back & also seems unfair to worry them ? Any advice would be appreciated, thanks

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Welcome to Talking Point, Jam19. Sadly denial and changes in character are not unusual with dementia. Others have more experience of your situation than I and will always be around, but sending a letter to your husband's GP outlining the problems is good advice I have read.

nellbelles

Volunteer Host
Nov 6, 2008
leicester
Hello @Jam19 and welcome to the forum
I think having such young children you really need some help, maybe you should tell the GP as many things can cause memory loss but its a big burden to carry by yourself.
I hope now you have found us you will continue to post

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
Hi, hope it’s ok to post on here? My husband is in his mid-50’s and for the past year I’ve noticed that my husbands short term memory is getting worse, he has also started randomly ranting/losing his temper about little things ,he is also struggling to sleep( started getting up 4/5am) we have three sons aged 14, 11 & 4, yesterday was the final straw , I happened to mention about our youngests nursery session today ( he’s been going at the same time every Friday for nearly two years) & my husband went into s huge rant in the car about me springing this session on him, what right did I have to organise things without him , stopping him from going to work etc etc, he had completely forgotten about the Friday session, he’s forgotten a lot of things recently and I’ve been accused of tricking him/not telling him before but this complete fit of rage in front of my children was scary and it was like my husband whom I’ve known for 19 years had dissapeared for a few moments, this morning when I tried yet again suggest he goes to the doctor he denied yesterday happened and that there’s nothing wrong with his memory , I’m not sure what to do now, I’ve thought about discussing it with my two adult step-children but it feels like I’m going behind his back & also seems unfair to worry them ? Any advice would be appreciated, thanks

While what you are saying could be the signs/symptoms of dementia, there could be other things going on that could be something different. Stress, anxiety, depression could all account for your husband's behaviour as well as things like Vitamin B deficiency, thyroid disorders and quite a few other things. He needs to be checked out by your GP and you might have to be a little devious to get him there but certainly avoid if possible that he needs to go because of his memory/behavior.

I hope that you can get him the help he needs. I don't think I would talk to his children just yet. If eventually you find out that it is a diagnosis of dementia then will be the time for talking. Your husband would resent you saying anything because you really don't know what the problem is yet.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
welcome from me too @Jam19
I agree, as you clearly are concerned, write to your GP giving examples of the behaviour that you've noticed and ask if the GP might invite your husband in for a 'well man' routine check-up - or write so the GP is forewarned then maybe make an appointment, tell your husband it's for you but you'd like him to come along for company/support, and the GP can hopefully just happen to offer to check over husband too ... as Lawson58 says, you may have to be devious, but it's needed to do what's good for him and your family