Won't take medication for Dementia...

Melvin'sDaughter

Jan 26, 2024
My husband won't take his medication and will not get a vision exam even though he has low vision in one eye and is 75 years old. He says taking the medication (memantidine) is too confusing and the last time he got a vision exam over 7 years ago at the veterans medical center he couldn't use the glasses. The last time I tried to discuss this with him he got very angry with me and I had to leave the house to get him to stop being verbally abusive. He is still driving but I always drive when we go together. He doesn't want to be around his family because he says they turned his daughter against him (not true). He is in denial with his dementia and is on the computer daily looking for a job, the last one he was let go, I don't think he told me what really happened...

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
Hello @Melvin'sDaughter and welcome to the Dementia Support Forum but sorry to hear that you are having such a difficult time at the moment. It's quite common to be in denial and not accept that there is anything wrong but you are doing the right thing by leaving the house if your husband gets verbally abusive. If you haven't already done so it might also be worth speaking to your husband's doctor, or your own, to let them know about his anger and not taking his medication as they may be able to help you both. Do you get any support at home, so that you can get a break now and again? I'm not sure if you are abroad or in the UK but if in the UK it may be useful to contact your local adult social services to ask for care needs/carers assessments to see if they are able to offer any help.

You may find the link below worth a read as it contains some useful suggestions with regards to communication techniques, although not everything suggested will work with everyone, or in every situation, but you might find something helpful. You will also find friendly support and advice here from people who understand so please keep posting to let us know how you are getting on.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sunbeams