Will writing

wallpaperengineer

Jan 27, 2023
Hi my step father has dementia and I have lasting power of attorney, my mother has passed away but my step dad doesn’t know if he has wrote a will. He has no children as I have known him since I was 3 years old and now 42. Can he still write a will at this stage? He still lives in our family home.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Can he still write a will at this stage?

Only if he is assessed as having testamentary capacity by a solicitor who may ask for an assessment by a medical professional.

A statuary will can be made, these are not very common.

What are statutory wills, and when are they necessary?

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
Hi @wallpaperengineer and welcome to Dementia Talking Point. Being able to demonstrate understanding of the process of making (or changing) a Will may be a key factor here. When my wife (who has dementia) and I wished to change our Wills, our Solicitor would not take her instructions unless she was able to prove to her GP that she understood what she wanted to do and why. She wasn't able to give a clear enough explanation to allow the GP to make a proper assessment of her testamentary capacity. As a result her Will remained unchanged.

wallpaperengineer

Jan 27, 2023
My step father still understands and has always presumed that our family home will just go to myself and my brothers, but without a will and he never ‘adopting’ us, is there a possibility that our family home could get passed down his family line. He did have a sister and she had children?

I thank you for the years

Oct 5, 2021
Hi @wallpaperengineer

Only adopted children (including step-children who have been adopted by their step-parent) have rights to inherit under the rules of intestacy. Otherwise you have to be a biological child to inherit.

So if your step-father dies without making a will his assets would pass to his sister or if she is no longer alive his assets would pass to her children.

The weblinks below contain more information.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/f...t-if-there-is-no-will-the-rules-of-intestacy/

https://www.gov.uk/inherits-someone-dies-without-will

If your Step father wants his assets to pass to you and your siblings then he needs to make a will and given his circumstances this would be best done by a solicitor who would satisfy themself at the time that they had capacity to do so. Needless to say as dementia is a degenerative illness, the sooner he does this, the better.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Moonlight1