Why does he keep cutting his hair!

Tala

Jan 28, 2014
My husband was diagnosed with Dementia last year at the age of 60. I am getting used to this different way of life, and dealing with his obstinate ways, but EVERY day MANY times, he goes in the bathroom and cuts bits off his hair. There is always hair over the floors and on his clothes. He also said I needed some cutting off my hair, and that he didn't like my little dangling earrings. Said they were 'stupid hanging down like that'. Anyone else had these issues? thanks.

Trisha4

Jan 16, 2014
Yorkshire
I am in a similar situation to you so I send empathy and hugs however we haven't experienced the hair issue so can't offer anything on that front. Keep posting!

Katrine

Jan 20, 2011
England
I suggest you hide the scissors. I am not being flippant. You don't want him coming up to you and trying to snip bits off your hair. I don't mean he's going to deliberately hurt you, but if he lunged at the earrings he might hurt you. While he's in this phase it's probably best to make sure he doesn't come up behind you. It sounds as if he's found a fiddling activity to help him with his agitation. He knows something isn't right and he's externalised this in terms of physical appearance.

pamann

Oct 28, 2013
Kent
Hello Tala
I have cut my husbands hair for 50yrs as l am a retired hairdresser, but for the last year my husband won't let me touch it he cuts his own looks dreadful short bits and long bits, he has got long hair he tells everyone that he has always cut his own hair, he cuts bits off 3 or 4 times a day sometimes when he gets up in the night, nightmare, it upsets me as his hair was always very neat and well cut, but now l am redundant, this is a long phase , at least you are not alone, take care of yourself pamann ♥♥♥

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Talking Point mobile app

cobden28

Jan 31, 2012
Just don't let him anywhere near your hair with a pair of scissors :eek::D! No doubt he won't mean you any harm but if he doesn't know what he's doing as regards giving you a proper professional haircut, then you could end up looking a right mess!