Why Do My Mum’s Nursing Home Want To See POA Document.

Firecatcher

Jan 6, 2020
According to my step father my Mum’s nursing home have phoned him asking to see the POA document. My Mum has lost capacity and is totally dependant but otherwise there are no immediate health problems. My step father doesn’t have a copy of the document so I’m going to have to scan the document and email it. I’m currently waiting for an activation code from the OPG.
I’m really wondering why the home are insisting on seeing the document and is this usual. I’ve had a really bad month sorting out problems with my parents house and registering the POA with the bank so the last thing I need is for the home to start dumping stuff on me as the POA. My step father also has POA. At the moment they only communicate with my step father as I haven’t provided them with my details.

McSuffolk

Feb 12, 2023
I have recently had a request from my mums care home. It’s probably just about meeting their policy requirements?

Gosling

Volunteer Host
Aug 2, 2022
South West UK
As has been said above, it is probably a 'tick box' exercise for the care home to say they have 'evidenced' the POA. I had to do the same for my Mum, when the care home asked.
If you're concerned in any way, please just ask the home why they need to see it. They should be able to give you a straight answer.

SAP

Feb 18, 2017
I have been asked for the LPA document in both homes mum has been in and by the care agency she used when she was living in her own home. I think it is about policy and procedure . I don’t get asked a lot as attorney but now and again I get asked about permission for medical intervention such as vaccinations.

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
I'm presuming it is the H & W one they want to see.

It seems perfectly reasonable to me to confirm you hold POA. The whole point of getting the piece of paper is to prove you've been given poa by your mum.

My mum's care team and subsequently her care home had copies.

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
As @SAP has mentioned vaccinations was one area with different approaches at mum's care home.

If POA was held then they could be authorised or declined by the POA whereas without POA the home had to make a best interest decision.

McSuffolk

Feb 12, 2023
I queried if it was just the Health one but it was both they needed. I guess otherwise they would just be taking your word that you have power of attorney and if there were ever a serious case review and no docs were held, they would be held accountable 🫤

Firecatcher

Jan 6, 2020
Many thanks to everyone whose replied to my post. If it’s just a formality I’m ok with this. I’m just really stressed out with everything and as I said previously don’t want/need stuff being dumped on me by the home. It’s been enough dealing with my step father who can’t even be appreciative of what I do sort out.

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
Perhaps he isnt doing as he should with regard to the nursing home- you my find somethings come your way from the direction if you too hold POA

SMBeach

Apr 19, 2020
I had to send my POA to social services and the care home but I’d have expected that. I did ask dad’s solicitor who drew up the POA to send me a certified copy digitally as a pdf and now if anyone asks gif a copy I just send my saved copy on file. The solicitor didn’t charge me either so I’ve always got a digital copy now.

Firecatcher

Jan 6, 2020
Perhaps he isnt doing as he should with regard to the nursing home- you my find somethings come your way from the direction if you too hold POA
I really can’t think of anything my step father should be doing. The home isn’t close to him and he doesn’t drive. I live 3-4 hours drive away and work full time so I can’t visit very often and I really can’t do anymore than I’m doing. I’ve already missed a deadline for something I wanted to apply for due to sorting out POA stuff.

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
It didn't seem unusual to me when my wife's care home asked to see the Lasting Power of Attorney documents. She was self-funding at the time so maybe they wanted to check that I could pay bills on her behalf. The Health and Welfare one was pertinent when drawing up her care and emergency care plans as well as when authorising vaccinations. Other than that, holding Power of Attorney hasn't led to any extra work for me. If you are concerned about this you could ask the care home manager or their deputy. It sounds to me like a formality.

Firecatcher

Jan 6, 2020
Once again many thanks for your replies. I’ve been in contact with the manager at the nursing home and as others have said it’s just a formality. As I said previously I’ve had a difficult month and didn’t want anything else landing on my doorstep.

Gosling

Volunteer Host
Aug 2, 2022
South West UK
Once again many thanks for your replies. I’ve been in contact with the manager at the nursing home and as others have said it’s just a formality. As I said previously I’ve had a difficult month and didn’t want anything else landing on my doorstep.
I'm so glad you have peace of mind on this one - you have enough going on stresswise so wishing you continued strength.

Recent Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fi83