Why and what do I do!!

Lady M

Sep 15, 2018
Essex
Still awaiting official diagnosis of Lewy bodies for my husband. I have no doubt whatsoever! He is a insulin dependent diabetic, has osteoporosis and previous stroke. Over the years, like many on here I suppose, I did notice changes but a drastic and very nasty fall 4and half years ago was the real start of my concerns!
Jogged along for two years ( a few more trips and slips and other problems ) when his walking became just a shuffle! My immediate thought was Parkinson’s! He was hospitalised on Christmas Day 2016 after a serious fall in the driveway of my sons., where we had arrived for Christmas Lunch. I spoke with the staff and expressed my concerns but they really weren’t interested! The fall led to complications which involved the home care for 6 weeks and nursing for the pneumonia had came home with! I spoke with GP and cos of data protection he couldn’t speak with me. As hubby recovered went attend surgery together and GP arranged for the memory nurse! In May 2017 he was accessed and diagnosided with MCI ! I then spoke wi5 our 3sons who I was surprised to learn had also noticed decline. LPA was duly drawn up and new wills, also his consent to the medical staff have all dealings with me! I again spoke with GP who arranged a consultation with a neurologist. He has since had lots of tests including Brain Scan and lots of which I do not know the names! Christmas 2017 he was in hospital again with gastroenteritis and he really was very disturbed whilst in there! On discharge the memory much Much worse! When we attended consultant the original one had left the trust so we saw a different one! She assures no Parkinsons!! I gave as much info as I could ! Including the fist hallucination and the fall out of bed! She asked him why his walking so bad and arranged for a CT scan on his spine, That was last April a copy of her letter to GP which I have always requested states suspect of Lewy Bodies Dementia!
A few days break away was horrendous! I realised then just how bad things had become!! I had insisted he didn’t drive there ( about 100 miles) and I hired a cab, he hated it! Whilst there he has 24hours sickness and slept most of the time!!on returning when my eldest son arrived he said that the last time ah! I said I expect so, He said NO it is the last time.
!! Two weeks later he was an emergency admission to hospital with. DKA he insists he had taken all injections! IOTs in hospital said ‘at risk of falls’ and gave a walking frame. Due to his frozen shoulder , aftermath of the first serious fall, he struggles to lift from lying in bed to up! He can’t use the walker to much pain in spine!
The car has gone! I had to explain that his reactions were not fast enough , our sons also spoke to him about his lack of strength and he agreed,. Of course now he tells all and everyone that I made him give up driving!
This last four weeks decline has been so so rapid, a few, very few good days apart from that a sort of nothingness!!!!!!! Mobilty worse! I really don’t know how he hasn’t had another fall! Sons have insisted carers (I am myself disabled with medical problems) just for showering and dressing! Privately paying at present ( on credit card) as awaiting financial assessment from government dept. Son managed to get him into the car and he had MRI scan on back 8 days ago!
So back to waiting for appointment with neurologist! Hubby was once a professional actor, so I know when we go to appointments he can put on a good act.
He now has a bed rail to assist raising and stop falling!
The last two out of three nights have been awful!, he was is waking meto sort out the ‘ people he has seen and sort things out’ I have managed to calm , and reassure him , he returns to bed and sleep but of course I don’t!.
I now have to take control of his needles to ensure injections are taken!!!
If this is the beginning what is in the future!!!!
I don’t understand why I can’t get a diagnosis! Even if I do what then!!
Must get him to GP tomorrow , I think he may have an ulcer coming on his leg!!
I am sorry this is so long and draw out but if you have been there and got on and faced the future please let me know the best way to turn!!
By the way, hubby still believes ( or so he saysj) that when they sort his back he’ll be fine!!!)

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I see you were taking your husband to the GP today. I was wondering if you made it and how you got on.

Lady M

Sep 15, 2018
Essex
I see you were taking your husband to the GP today. I was wondering if you made it and how you got on.
The
And! Yes did get there, he has another infection , GP said to him, You look well! I must be doing something right, like, ensuring all meds taken, correct injections, humouring him, etc etc etc!!!!thats me rambling again!!! thistime legs, so more antibiotics and creams, maybe cellulitisi , my concerns turning to ulcers! Told GP things worse and he advised ring consultants secretary to speed up appointment!
Thanks for asking and showing interest!!
Keep smiling !!

Sad Staffs

Jun 26, 2018
The
And! Yes did get there, he has another infection , GP said to him, You look well! I must be doing something right, like, ensuring all meds taken, correct injections, humouring him, etc etc etc!!!!thats me rambling again!!! thistime legs, so more antibiotics and creams, maybe cellulitisi , my concerns turning to ulcers! Told GP things worse and he advised ring consultants secretary to speed up appointment!
Thanks for asking and showing interest!!
Keep smiling !!
Hello @Lady M
I’m so pleased you managed to get to the doctors.
Hope your husbands legs start to improve. Ulcers and cellulitis are such a worry. I’ll keep my fingers crossed that the meds and treatment are helpful.
I hope you get a response from the consultants secretary and you get a speedy appointment.
Thinking of you.
Take care of yourself, B x

Lady M

Sep 15, 2018
Essex
@sadstaffs
Just read your reply! Thanks so much
just been told appointment 28th Dec !
W was really hoping it would be before Christmas, but hay hoe hoping for an official diagnosis so maybe start the New Year with some idea of where we are going, who will help or advise etc!
However, I suppose secretly once it’s diagnosed it’s sort of certain!! This is of course, hoping OH will be available! I am mocking because he has been an in patient for the Christmas 2016 and 2017 !!!
Seriously, it was during his hospitalisation 2016 that I braved the wrath and first voiced by concerns, so it wil have taken two years!!
But I am deterred I will not leave the out patients this time without a diagnosis and confirmation.
I have rambled again sorry!!
Thanks again!!!

Sad Staffs

Jun 26, 2018
@sadstaffs
Just read your reply! Thanks so much
just been told appointment 28th Dec !
W was really hoping it would be before Christmas, but hay hoe hoping for an official diagnosis so maybe start the New Year with some idea of where we are going, who will help or advise etc!
However, I suppose secretly once it’s diagnosed it’s sort of certain!! This is of course, hoping OH will be available! I am mocking because he has been an in patient for the Christmas 2016 and 2017 !!!
Seriously, it was during his hospitalisation 2016 that I braved the wrath and first voiced by concerns, so it wil have taken two years!!
But I am deterred I will not leave the out patients this time without a diagnosis and confirmation.
I have rambled again sorry!!
Thanks again!!!
Hi @Lady M
Glad you have your date, but it does seem a long wait. Is it worth asking for a cancellation? I can understand how you feel about getting an official diagnosis as it makes it official, and there is no going back.
Although I didn’t want the diagnosis/confirmation of dementia, it helped me to start to understand dementia and what it could mean for us both. As well as sorting anything officially and financially.
And I found this forum, that has been a life saver for me. I don’t feel so alone, although it still shocks me that so many feel just as I do.
Always ramble if it helps... I do it all the time, I find it helps to make sense of things, and get it off my chest.
Take care a Lady M, thinking of you,
Love B x

RainbowsArePretty

Oct 29, 2018
Still awaiting official diagnosis of Lewy bodies for my husband. I have no doubt whatsoever! He is a insulin dependent diabetic, has osteoporosis and previous stroke. Over the years, like many on here I suppose, I did notice changes but a drastic and very nasty fall 4and half years ago was the real start of my concerns!
Jogged along for two years ( a few more trips and slips and other problems ) when his walking became just a shuffle! My immediate thought was Parkinson’s! He was hospitalised on Christmas Day 2016 after a serious fall in the driveway of my sons., where we had arrived for Christmas Lunch. I spoke with the staff and expressed my concerns but they really weren’t interested! The fall led to complications which involved the home care for 6 weeks and nursing for the pneumonia had came home with! I spoke with GP and cos of data protection he couldn’t speak with me. As hubby recovered went attend surgery together and GP arranged for the memory nurse! In May 2017 he was accessed and diagnosided with MCI ! I then spoke wi5 our 3sons who I was surprised to learn had also noticed decline. LPA was duly drawn up and new wills, also his consent to the medical staff have all dealings with me! I again spoke with GP who arranged a consultation with a neurologist. He has since had lots of tests including Brain Scan and lots of which I do not know the names! Christmas 2017 he was in hospital again with gastroenteritis and he really was very disturbed whilst in there! On discharge the memory much Much worse! When we attended consultant the original one had left the trust so we saw a different one! She assures no Parkinsons!! I gave as much info as I could ! Including the fist hallucination and the fall out of bed! She asked him why his walking so bad and arranged for a CT scan on his spine, That was last April a copy of her letter to GP which I have always requested states suspect of Lewy Bodies Dementia!
A few days break away was horrendous! I realised then just how bad things had become!! I had insisted he didn’t drive there ( about 100 miles) and I hired a cab, he hated it! Whilst there he has 24hours sickness and slept most of the time!!on returning when my eldest son arrived he said that the last time ah! I said I expect so, He said NO it is the last time.
!! Two weeks later he was an emergency admission to hospital with. DKA he insists he had taken all injections! IOTs in hospital said ‘at risk of falls’ and gave a walking frame. Due to his frozen shoulder , aftermath of the first serious fall, he struggles to lift from lying in bed to up! He can’t use the walker to much pain in spine!
The car has gone! I had to explain that his reactions were not fast enough , our sons also spoke to him about his lack of strength and he agreed,. Of course now he tells all and everyone that I made him give up driving!
This last four weeks decline has been so so rapid, a few, very few good days apart from that a sort of nothingness!!!!!!! Mobilty worse! I really don’t know how he hasn’t had another fall! Sons have insisted carers (I am myself disabled with medical problems) just for showering and dressing! Privately paying at present ( on credit card) as awaiting financial assessment from government dept. Son managed to get him into the car and he had MRI scan on back 8 days ago!
So back to waiting for appointment with neurologist! Hubby was once a professional actor, so I know when we go to appointments he can put on a good act.
He now has a bed rail to assist raising and stop falling!
The last two out of three nights have been awful!, he was is waking meto sort out the ‘ people he has seen and sort things out’ I have managed to calm , and reassure him , he returns to bed and sleep but of course I don’t!.
I now have to take control of his needles to ensure injections are taken!!!
If this is the beginning what is in the future!!!!
I don’t understand why I can’t get a diagnosis! Even if I do what then!!
Must get him to GP tomorrow , I think he may have an ulcer coming on his leg!!
I am sorry this is so long and draw out but if you have been there and got on and faced the future please let me know the best way to turn!!
By the way, hubby still believes ( or so he saysj) that when they sort his back he’ll be fine!!!)

Oh my goodness @Lady M
Firstly well done for all that you're doing! It sounds so very tough on you. I'm going through investigations (medically) with my dad. This is up 13 months and I've had to fight to get cancellations to expedite the system. I hope you can do too. Have you tried to ring up and explain that the process has been ongoing for 2 years (if you haven't already). I've had to report my dad to DVLA and subsequently they've taken his license away. The Drs also mentioned it was down to me as to why he no longer has a license! Then sent this copy to my Dad!!! Some very unhelpful people but then some very helpful people too.

I hope you can get a cancellation as soon as possible. You keep talking and sharing here, it does help a bit, don't you think? X

Lady M

Sep 15, 2018
Essex
@rainbows are pretty
Thanks for your reply!
What a lovely user name! Yes so many pretty things, we are inclined to forget to look for !
Yes it’s worrying all the waiting, phoning, waiting etc!i don’t think agencies, secretaries etc answer the phone anymore! Why why why does it all take so long, never mind I suspect there is worse to come!
I didn’t have a laugh to myself yesterday when he assured someone who had to be tested for Parkinson’s not to worry, you’ll be like me loads of tests but everything OK. If only he knew.!
This is a journey I never expected but luckily found this forum!
Keep smiling and thanks again!!! x

Lady M

Sep 15, 2018
Essex
Hi @Lady M
Glad you have your date, but it does seem a long wait. Is it worth asking for a cancellation? I can understand how you feel about getting an official diagnosis as it makes it official, and there is no going back.
Although I didn’t want the diagnosis/confirmation of dementia, it helped me to start to understand dementia and what it could mean for us both. As well as sorting anything officially and financially.
And I found this forum, that has been a life saver for me. I don’t feel so alone, although it still shocks me that so many feel just as I do.
Always ramble if it helps... I do it all the time, I find it helps to make sense of things, and get it off my chest.
Take care a Lady M, thinking of you,
Love B x
@Sad Staffs
You were kind enough to o reply to my original post and this is to say I have managed to be quite forceful with the consultants secretary and have now got an appointment for Oh with Consultant on 14th November as opposed to 28th December. Whilst this is great I am in fact dreading it! I still find it hard to comprehend that someone you see for about 15mi utes , although they have knowledge and results , will make that dia!
Wish me luck, like I said I am detrimental we need a formal diagnosis! Thanks for support!

Lady M

Sep 15, 2018
Essex
@Izzy Hi you were kind enough to o reply to my original PST
I have managed to get the consultants secretary to change OH appointment from 28th December to 14th November.
Crunch time, really!!
I am determined that we need the diagnosis, which despite 5e consultants having scan results etc meet you for maximum 15mi utes to make their decision!
Here we go, on this journey none of us wants!!!

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
I would recommend that you write a letter to the doctor outlining all the symptoms and your concerns (possibly copy the bulk of your opening post) and then give it to the receptionist before the appointment so that the doctor sees it before calling your husband in. I never liked to say about my concerns about my OH in front of him and also he would not have allowed me to say what I needed to say - either shouting me down or point blank denying it! By writing a letter I avoided all of that.

Sad Staffs

Jun 26, 2018
@Sad Staffs
You were kind enough to o reply to my original post and this is to say I have managed to be quite forceful with the consultants secretary and have now got an appointment for Oh with Consultant on 14th November as opposed to 28th December. Whilst this is great I am in fact dreading it! I still find it hard to comprehend that someone you see for about 15mi utes , although they have knowledge and results , will make that dia!
Wish me luck, like I said I am detrimental we need a formal diagnosis! Thanks for support!
Well done you for getting it moved forward. Quite right that they should see you sooner. You need to have some answers.
I so understand you dreading it. Other people can have massive implications on our lives and it can take control away from us.
Please let me know how you get on next week...
Thinking of you. Love B xx

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
That's good news @Lady M.

I agree with @canary regarding letting the doctor see your thoughts and concerns before the appointment. When my husband had appointments such as these I always wrote everything I wanted to say in a letter which I handed in a few days before the appointment. That meant I didn't forget anything in the stress of the moment and it also meant I didn't have to talk about these things in front of my husband.

Good luck when the time comes.

Lady M

Sep 15, 2018
Essex
Well, so much since my last posting n here.
In short OH had a stroke on 7th November , hospital for 23days, home with care package long term , mobility declined now wheelchair and problems transferring etc!
Our world has turned upside down and inside out!!!!!
So much going on, but the neurologist declined to make diagnosis ( was taken my ambulance to keep appointment whilst inpatient!) so seen today my memory nurse.
In her experience see believes Mixed dementia! Vascular and Alzheimer’s!
We have to wait to see the doctor at the memory clinic for complete confirmation.
Although not a suprize and in some ways a relief , with all the mobilty problems, falls, infections etc I cannot see a light at the end of the tunnel!
It so very sad!!!!

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I'm so sorry to read of your husband's possible diagnosis. Along with the physical problems things must be very hard for you.

Wishing you strength.

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
So much to deal with at once, I hope you will find strength and support here. Getting a care package together is a good move though.

Lady M

Sep 15, 2018
Essex
So much to deal with at once, I hope you will find strength and support here. Getting a care package together is a good move though.
Thank you ,
I have learned a lot already from TP, and it is a comfort to know that I can always ‘chat’ on here.
xXx