Who would look after mum if she was ill?

century

Apr 1, 2020
My Mum has mid to advanced stage Alzheimers. She needs almost round the clock care because she is so anxious. Previously most of her care was provided by carers and some of it by me. I have reduced the number of carers coming to visit to one who does sleep ins and am doing much more care myself. I'm being extremely careful to follow the government guidelines and hardly go out at all. The other carer is also being very careful and doing all she can to avoid Mum getting the virus. However, if Mum were to get ill I'm wondering who would care for her. In addition to Alzheimers she has a heart condition so she would be unlikely to survive or be considered for ventilation if younger fitter people needed it. I'm assuming older people like her will be told to remain at home if they have coronavirus. Who would provide the palliative care if she were to get ill? I feel awful for thinking about this but I want to prepared and plan for how to keep myself and my children safe.

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello @century, you are welcome here and I hope you find the forum to be a friendly and supportive place.

This is a worry for me too as I'm an only carer for my wife. Yesterday I had a talk with her about what might happen concerning ventilation etc should she get ill. I don't know how much she understood and she certainly won't remember the talk. However, I hope it will make things clearer for me if hard decisions have to be made.

Do you have a Social Worker involved in a care scenario. I had a chat with our Social Worker and agreed that I could call if in crisis. They also agreed to try to check in with us now and again, although I won't hold me breath on that one

Last edited:

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Welcome to the forum @century

I'm sorry to read of your mum's condition. I would imagine that palliative care would have to be provided by your local health service but not sure how that would work in the situations we find ourselves in. Your mum would deserve to be kept comfortable.

I wondered if it might be useful to give the Admiral Nurses helpline a call and talk through your concerns with someone there-

I'm glad you have found the forum. You'll get lots of help and support here. Keep posting.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ResearchGal1