When was Care Home suggested to you by SS?

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
Is that what you meant Margarita?

Kind of .

As you have said

She receives her state pension, housing benefit, pension guarantee credit and savings credit. Doesn't have to pay Council Tax or for her carers coming 1 hr per day

or for her carers coming 1 hr per day

Your mother must of had a financial assessment on your mother ability to pay towards her care.

So that would mean that your mother would not have to pay towards her respite care if she went into a care home for a few weeks .

Would you consider your mother going into respite care home for a few weeks .

Or day daycentre ?

As this was all offed to me to keep mum at home for as long as possible, rather then putting mum in care home full time ?

Last edited:

Amber 5

Jan 20, 2009
Berkshire
I'm not too sure how respite care works - I presume that would have to be somewhere local to where she is living now, which would still mean that I wouldn't be able to visit easily. No one has mentioned Day care centre yet. It sounds good in principal although, with me not being nearby to see that she got there, not sure if she would go. (She used to go to 'The Centre' which was an OAP meeting centre for morning coffee, of her own accord, but lost interest in that too - hasn't gone for ages now. She always comments when she sees elderly people in a negative way and just doesn't see herself as 'old'! 79 and young at heart!!

I think I might be able to persuade her to go to a 'nice' care home IF she knew she would see me more regularly. She seems to rely on me for constant reassurance by telephone and is always delighted to see me and be taken out for a bite to eat, garden centre or whatever.

Yes, you are right about the financial assessment - that is how she doesn't have to pay for her current care.

Best Wishes
Gill

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Hi Margarita,
A financial assessment has been done recently for Attendance Allowance purposes and she was successful in obtaining the higher rate.

She receives her state pension, housing benefit, pension guarantee credit and savings credit. Doesn't have to pay Council Tax or for her carers coming 1 hr per day.

Is that what you meant Margarita?

Thanks,
Gill x

Just to point out that a financial assessment should not (is not) done for the Attendance Allowance as this is non-means tested. I assume you mean something slightly different Gill.

Amber 5

Jan 20, 2009
Berkshire
Just to point out that a financial assessment should not (is not) done for the Attendance Allowance as this is non-means tested. I assume you mean something slightly different Gill.

Oops. Yes, I was just thinking of the form filling/applying done recently - sorry!!!

Received the registered LPA for Property and Affairs today - Hoorah! Just awaiting the Personal Welfare one to come back now.

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
I have found an Assisted Living home with Rennaisance floor upstairs (for when needed!) which would be lovely - if I can get her used to the idea! (It's only ten minutes away from where I live, rather than 2 hrs where she is now.) She is still 'aware' of lots of things but I do think she would benefit from this type of environment. (I have talked to someone on TP whose mum is in the same place, so have some inside information which has been

After reading you above post 23 , it does sound like a better idea to go with the assisted living .

if I can get her used to the idea!

That may just depend on how long your mother can retain new information you give her, in your mother short term memory.

May be Just Saying to you mother she be living near you , may be all the reassurance she needs .

Talk to CPN about the move

Amber 5

Jan 20, 2009
Berkshire
Thanks Margarita - I am wondering that myself. I think that will certainly play a big part in making it happen if and when it does.

love Gill x

Sandy

Mar 23, 2005
Hi Gill,

This thread has raised lots of interesting points and I hope it helps you (and your brother and SIL) when considering options for your mum's future.

It sounds like you have already taken a lot of steps (LPA, looking at homes near to you) to be in a position to act as the situation with your mum changes.

If I remember rightly, your mum has an appointment (that you're taking her to?) on the 3rd of April with the consultant to get a diagnosis - based on the CT scan and other tests.

It may be that the process of diagnosis and treatment will make it possible to live happily on her own (with the right supports from family and carers and using services like day care) for a bit longer. That may mean staying where she is or it may mean trying a supported housing scheme near to you or even a residential home near to you (more like a 'retirement home' where people can come and go, but are helped as needed and meals are made, etc.).

I hope the appointment goes as well as can be expected (a good consultant can make even this difficult process easier to bear) and that your mother might be considered suitable for treatment with AD medication.

Take care,

Sandy

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
If I remember rightly, your mum has an appointment (that you're taking her to?) on the 3rd of April with the consultant to get a diagnosis - based on the CT scan and other tests.

Let us all know how it go with the appointment. wishing you all the best on the day .

Amber 5

Jan 20, 2009
Berkshire
Thank you Sandy and Margarita, yes this has been a really useful thread - I am so grateful for everyone's support as I was feeling rather fragile over it all recently. What would we do without TP?!

Will let you know how the appointment goes (and reassessment by SW and Care Agency tomorrow).

Hope you all have a good night.
Love Gill x

jemima62

Mar 10, 2009
County Durham
My mam lives alone, is displaying all the signs of AD, which is getting rapidly worse, and resolutely refuses to move anywhere. SS claim that it is her 'human right' to make that choice. She was last seen by a psychiatrist in February 2008 and refused to attend hospital for more testing. So far she has locked herself out of the house and lost all her house keys (twice, both in freezing cold weather) and called on neighbours asking for a box of matches after leaving the unlit gas fire full on (thank god no one gave her one). She exists on a diet consisting mainly of cakes and biscuits, is incontinent but refuses to believe this, will cheerfully let anyone into the house without hesitation (burglar in a stripey jumper carrying a bag marked 'Swag', "no problem, come on in dear") is at daily risk of falls due to mobility problems and has no contact with the outside world (a phone would be useless as she has forgotten how to work one. She has no friends, no interests (how I would love her to go to a day centre!) and shows contempt for anyone involved in her care plan. The list goes on and on, but SS say she mustn't be moved as she is 'coping'. I am just waiting for a disaster to happen and hoping that I or someone else is there to help if it does (I live some distance away). Every visit brings dread as she is a danger to herself but apparently, that is her choice. So if she wants to blow the house up, electrocute herself, fall down the stairs in the middle of the night or lock herself in the garden in her nightie during a blizzard she has a 'human right' to do so. Oh, sometimes I despair. The words 'common' and 'sense' do not seem to be in the SS rule book!
Jemima

JPG1

Account Closed
Jul 16, 2008
Jemima

Two words that should be in the SS rule book are: "best interests".

They may need to be reminded of them.

Good luck!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smattels