When to re-assess?

Niblet

Nov 27, 2022
My husband was diagnosed with MCI almost two years ago. Since then he's had a stroke and two TIAs and his CT scans say "extensive periventricular hypoattenuation, extending to the central semiovale and subcortical white matter. Appearances are most in keeping with microangiopathic disease". I'm guessing he has at least Vascular Cognitive Impairment. He was assessed by the stroke team last year who suggested that he should be re-assessed by the memory clinic. He refused and most of me thinks why should he have to go through all that again. He has declined though to outsiders doesn't seem to have much of a problem. Our sons and I see his problems though. When is it worthwhile to have another assessment? And is it necessary at all?

SAP

Feb 18, 2017
Usually a diagnosis is useful if it enables the person to apply for certain benefits for example AA or a blue badge. Given that your husband already has diagnosis of conditions that would assist with this then it’s possible there is no rush. That said he may benefit from some medications that having a diagnosis would bring. Maybe it is worth waiting until mild cognitive or vascular impairment becomes clear dementia. Does he have mental capacity?
I have said in previous posts that sometimes the diagnosis helps the carer more than the cared for.

Niblet

Nov 27, 2022
Usually a diagnosis is useful if it enables the person to apply for certain benefits for example AA or a blue badge. Given that your husband already has diagnosis of conditions that would assist with this then it’s possible there is no rush. That said he may benefit from some medications that having a diagnosis would bring. Maybe it is worth waiting until mild cognitive or vascular impairment becomes clear dementia. Does he have mental capacity?
I have said in previous posts that sometimes the diagnosis helps the carer more than the cared for.
Yes he has capacity and as he's highly intelligent (3 higher degrees) appears fairly ok. We have AA - helped in the claim by the brilliant person at Age UK.

SAP

Feb 18, 2017
I’m glad you got Age UK to help sort the AA out. It sounds like your husband is not ready yet to deal with any issues he has and you certainly can’t make him. I would hang fire for now.
My mum knew something was not right but was the sort not to “trouble the Dr” over time I gently kept saying things like, “well once you know for sure, we can stop thinking about it” or “ best to check there isn’t something else at the bottom of this” She eventually went and got a referral to the memory clinic. With mum it was a case of MCI but a while later this was changed to Alzheimer’s and there was medication she could have. I do think this helped her remain independent for longer. Of course this is different to what your husband has been through .