When Does This End?

SitsThere

Jan 7, 2013
Hostess Mode

This is so true about "hostess mode". I actually saw my mother go into this mode with a doctor who decided to interview her as if she was in perfect health about 36 hours before she died. It was only the fact that I had to translate his verbose questions into layman's English for her, that gave the game away that she was in terrible pain and confusion. After which, to give him his due, he stayed long enough to see the effort become too much for her and confirmed what we already knew. But that was on the next to last day, and up until that point she had never failed to go into this mode as soon as addressed by what she considered an authority figure.
How long is your brother staying? If its only for a few hours are you aware of what is termed "hostess mode" on here? It a phenomenon where the person with dementia can sort of pull themself together and appear quite rational and lucid (possibly even normal) when faced with visitors, medical people or people in authority (police, lawyers etc). It takes a lot of effort though and they can only sustain it for a short period of time - so if your brother is with her for a whole day he will probably see the "hostess mode" slip - but if hes only with her for a short period (a couple of hours) he may well walk away with the perception that she is perfectly OK.

mot

May 4, 2016
USA
An Update

Well, mom has been in memory care for almost 2 months now. She has settled, her roommate finally moved in, and we are still adjusting to this new journey.

Before the roommate moved in, there were mix-ups of clothing from time to time ..... no big deal since I think that is just the nature of having a community of people who wander in and out of each other's space.

NOW, however, mom seems to be going through depends and pads like crazy!!!!! I also seem to be furnishing toilet tissue and towels for both of them. Is this just the way it's going to be? Am I being too fussy?

Their room is tidy enough. I go through mom's things about every 2 days. Rehang clothes, sort through socks, etc., and turn in items that aren't hers.

But, the bathroom has become a war zone. They both have a space on either side of the sink to keep toiletries on, but their stuff is all mixed up and strewn around. This past week there were beads all over the bathroom floor. Mom is already unsteady on her legs, and those beads everywhere were a concern. Finally found out that a piece of the roommate's jewelry had broken. I had to report it three times before the beads were swept up. (Mom doesn't have any jewelry there.)

This is so new to me and I am trying to understand what is reasonable to expect.

Something else: We had our first family support group meeting. There were about 18 present. (The facility has 37 residents.) The moderator is a social worker/counselor assigned to us by the state in which we live. She was very prepared and very good. At this meeting, everyone was asked to introduce themselves, tell who their family member was and their "story". When my time came, I just couldn't do it. I gave my name and my mom's, but I choked up and just could not do it. Felt horrible as everyone was so open and emotions were high. This was hard, yet I want desperately to share. The counselor recommended a book, Creating Moments of Joy. (Hope I have the title exactly correct) I got the book, but can't even make it through that. My mom was never there for me. I lived with my grandparents from the age of 3 to 13. My parents divorced when I was 3 and mom went to school to become a Registered Nurse. When I was 13, she got a job in a hospital about 2 hours away from where my grandparents lived and moved us there. She worked crazy shifts and my brother and I were left out of necessity to fend for ourselves. When I am reading this book, the moments in time where my mom continuously goes are NOT moments of joy!!!! I've been in "parent mode" with her since I was about 15/16 and this part of the journey has worn me thin!!!

Wanting to live so I have no regrets and yet this is sooooooo hard!!!

Not intending this to be a pity session - just needed to vent!! Getting it down in writing somehow helps!

louise1974

Sep 9, 2016
skegness uk
i had the same but with my sister who is only 48 she has advanced vascular dementia and m.s she is totally bed bound her partner put her in a care home as the family couldn't cope with her every time i went to see her she would beg me to take her home it broke my heart as my home wasn't suitable so i sold my house and brought another one suited more to my sisters needs where she had a downstairs room ect i sorted carers nurses doctors equipment ect so 2 years ago she moved in with me the first night she said take me home please i just want to go home and she has said it most days for two years now she is also a lot worse health wise than she was then i don't really think they know where home is all i do is maker feel safe and loved thats all you can do xx good luck with it all xx

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smattels