What to do next?

Annie Marie

Dec 29, 2023
Hi everyone,
I retired to look after my Mum with dementia and help my Dad who is 88 and just doesn’t get it!!
Mum gets nervous and says she annoys Dad so doesn’t want me to go anywhere, ever.
Dad gets cross and says he’s having a terrible time.
I live with them and spend my life calming things down. I do an odd day a week work and invariably get a phone call saying mum can’t cope.
I can’t freely do anything or go anywhere.

Dad has just told me I’m a useless waste of space because I didn’t know what set of keys he was asking about!!

Why do I bother?

Because I want to look after my Mum in the best way I can.

🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️

TessB

Nov 14, 2023
Hi everyone,
I retired to look after my Mum with dementia and help my Dad who is 88 and just doesn’t get it!!
Mum gets nervous and says she annoys Dad so doesn’t want me to go anywhere, ever.
I live with them and spend my life calming things down. I do an odd day a week work and invariably get a phone call saying mum can’t cope.

Dad has just told me I’m a useless waste of space because I didn’t know what set of keys he was asking about!!

Why do I bother?

🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️
Hi Anne Marie and welcome to the forum. You and your dad may find the SPECAL method helpful https://contenteddementiatrust.org/about-us/contented-dementia-trust/
Would your mum be able to go to a day centre once a week? That would give you and your dad some space, and also give your mum a change of environment.

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
Hi everyone,

Why do I bother?

🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️
Is it possible your father has (the beginnings of) dementia too? His inability to understand that your mum has dementia and his reaction about the keys suggests not all is well...

And not what you wanted to hear - sorry!