Hello everybody, I’m Kevin Jenkins. I live in Sacramento, California.

Apr 22, 2024
My mom has dementia and blockage in parotic artery. I try to talk to my dad about my mom and he gets all defensive. He’s practically deaf so I have to talk really loud so my mom‘s always right there. I can’t get him alone. I had my dad read her doctors report and he doesn’t agree. My dad’s 88 my mom‘s 85.
My parents live across the street from Crabtree Park. We moved into that house in 1974. Here’s a voicemail from one of my parents neighbors.
“Kevin this is Marilyn I just wanted to tell you that lady named Nora who walks around the park is going to call the social service because she says your mom and dad are in danger over there right now so I'm gonna leave for church at 9:30 but if you want to come I tried to call Mark but he's not answering so your mom is she standing out by that street and that I thought I've seen her get out there and she is getting a little danger it's getting dangerous for her love you guys bye-bye…”
I was over there today. Talk to my dad and let’s see how tomorrow goes-today!
Have a great day, everybody.

Collywobbles

Feb 27, 2018
Hi Kevin. What a horrible situation for you. I’m sure you’ve already seen on the forum that this is a common problem for many folks. My elderly Dad still insists he can look after my Mum and won’t accept our help yet.

In your situation, having concerned neighbours call Social Services, might actually be a blessing. Maybe your father will be more inclined to listen to people outside your family. Also, even if your father won’t accept their help or advice at present, it will be good to have your parents on the Social Services radar for the future.

Sending best wishes for the journey none of us want to be on.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Hello and welcome to you Kevin from another Kevin posting from the other side of the pond here in the UK.
My mom, one of the reasons I started to post on here was born and raised in LA so her half of the family are scattered across several states now.
Specific help with you being in the USA might be thin on the ground when it comes to all the different rules and regulations, benefits etc, caring however is universal so a big hello and welcome from us all I'm sure. K