What` the Difference Between Alzheimer's & Dementia

Carara

May 19, 2013
West Mids,Uk
Just a quick Question which I have wondered for quite some time

Whats the difference between Alzheimer's & Dementia

Ive been lead to believe alzheimer's is all about losing memory but still not sure about the whole difference

Thanks x x x

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
My late husband, Alan, had dementia of the fronto temperal lobe. At the time it was important to know the differences between this type of dementia and Alzheimers disease because it seemed that practically all the carers involved had training in Alzheimers disease and I found those approaches very unsuitable for Alan. His memory was not affected until much later on in the disease - he was mostly affected by speech and language. I cared for him at home with the help of Crossroads carers and all the carers had to be retrained as to how best care for him.

Love

nogginthenog

Dec 8, 2009
North
Dementia is a very general term to mean a loss of brain function ( it comes from the latin de = without , mentia = mind ) . Its not a specific disease or condition . The loss of function can be caused by one or more of several different actual conditions.

Alzheimer's disease is a specific condition that affects the brain . Its one of the most common forms of dementia . Although the effects on individuals can be quite different many of the symptoms ( like memory loss ) are common. Although the doctors can be pretty sure of a diagnosis when a patient is still alive its only 100% possible to be definite that a dementia is caused by alzheimers is by looking at the brain after death.

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
Whats the difference between Alzheimer's & Dementia
Alzheimer's and dementia are not separate illnesses.
Alzheimer's is just one cause of dementia amongst a number of others.
Alzheimer's isn't just about losing one's memory either, though it seems oftten to be viewed as such by the general public. There are many other aspects of this dreadful disease, as there are of all other dementias.

MaddenedMick

Jun 4, 2013
Alzheimer's disease is a specific condition that affects the brain . Its one of the most common forms of dementia .
True, but there is NO TEST FOR ALZHEIMERS. None at all. Someone should tell some of those inadequate psychiatrists out there and some of the half witted judges.

(The Americans have proposed a dye straining test but I think it is a long way from acceptance- it seems very invasive).

There are around 4 to 5 different dementia conditions, one of which is Alzheimers.The only guideline is a "Twenty Questions" setup that aims to give some sort of notion. The scores depend on the patient, especilally the patient's cooperation.

Many people have been treated for AD and tested after death (there is a post mortem test) and found NOT to have AD.

And one should not confuse memory loss with dementia. Sometimes they come together and sometimes they do not.

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
True, but there is NO TEST FOR ALZHEIMERS. None at all. Someone should tell some of those inadequate psychiatrists out there and some of the half witted judges.
No, there isn't but by ruling out other causes which can be identified, the conclusion is usually that the cause is Alzheimer's.

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
Our consultant who explained it to us said it was like cancer. The word cancer was the umbrella and under it sheltered all the different forms of cancer, e.g. breast cancer, lung cancer, bone cancer and the different blood cancers. So dementia is the general word for brain malfunction and the umbrella and all the different varieties of dementia shelter under it.

My husband was diagnosed with Alzheimer's which we were told was because the tests done had ruled out other forms of dementia but only examination of his brain after death would give a definite diagnosis.

Jay