What should I do?

tishtosh18

Aug 15, 2018
My mother aged 94 has just had a hip replacement and since arriving back in the care home is very scared, confused and withdrawn. Her physical limitations are not helping and the home leave her in her room a lot. Mum has never been diagnosed officially and I have been asking for a diagnosis for months but lived abroad.
I know a month ago she was to be referred to a memory clinic but nothing yet.
I find it so hard to cope with her anxiety and hopelessness. I am alone with this and just want to do my best for her!
Can I ask for immediate intervention or I must wait?

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Hi Howarpa, welcome to TP
Memory clinics in some areas have long waiting lists and it can take time to get an appointment.
The question is what happens if she is seen by the memory clinic and they diagnose some type of AZ, they'll then discharge her care back to the home's GP possibly with a prescription for Aricept or Donepezil if it's appropriate to the form of AZ, there'll be no on going involvement from them they'll diagnose and discharge in most areas as there is no treatment.
They might be able to prescribe something for her anxiety but the home's GP can do that now if they feel it would help.
The home will carry on caring for her in the same way with or without a diagnosis unless they have a policy of no residents with dementia in which case they could ask you to move her.
Aricept or Donepezil may help slow down the speed at which AZ progresses but there is some debate about it and the French government has recently told doctors to stop prescribing it as they say the side effects outweigh the benefits.
At 94 a major operation often knocks people sideways so some downturn in her health is to be expected and a general anaesthetic in people with AZ can really knock them sideways.
What I'm saying in short is that with or without a diagnosis nothing will change you might be better off seeing if the home's GP can look into it.
K

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello @Howarpa, welcome to TP from me too.

Your mother’s symptoms may result from post op pain so it may be worth checking on that. A person with dementia can become withdrawn because of pain because they can lose the ability to express the issue.

Anxiety and depression can also be big factors.

Either way I agree that it would be a good idea to have the GP check your mother.

PJ

Jan 26, 2017
Bristol
Hi @Howarpa,
My mum had a partial hip replacement back in June this year, suffered with what the hospital staff called post op delirium
We were told if someone has a brain disease they quite often have this after an operation. My mum has Parkinsons.
It was a very scary time & lasted for 3wks.
I had never even heard of it before but apparently it’s quite common.
I do hope you get the support your mum & you need.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
As well as all the above, there is the point that a general aneasthetic can advance any pre-existing dementia.
She may well improve as things settle down and she heals, but she may not get back to the level she was at previously.

PJ

Jan 26, 2017
Bristol
As well as all the above, there is the point that a general aneasthetic can advance any pre-existing dementia.
She may well improve as things settle down and she heals, but she may not get back to the level she was at previously.
@canary this is exactly what has happened to my mum.