What now?

moonshine

Oct 2, 2008
After looking after my Mum at home for nearly 7 years, in April this year I was forced into putting Mum into a Nursing Home. She suffers from alzheimers and wanted to stay at home and be cared for, at first it was ok but any one who has cared for someone with this terrible illness knows that as time goes on it gets very difficult. As time went by Mum become poorly with one thing after the other UTI,s and eventually a series of mini strokes which left her with a complete loss of mobility. She is unable to feed herself or comminicate now and is bedridden. It breaks my heart to see her the way she is, and after making the painful decision to put her into a Nursing Home which was reccomended both by her GP and the Consultant at the hospital she had a fall from bed. I know that these things happen andI believe they were trying to get my Mum to lie straight in bed because she had adopted the feotal position, She also had been suffering from a pressure sore which was only brought to my attention by the carers who were looking after at home after a week of washing her. By this time it was in need of the nurse who came th the house and said Mum needed an air mattress, but thery were out of stock!!. Hence the move into a home. After going through all of this they now tell me that the home has to be taken into account. So now when you feel at your most vulnerable you have a massive fight on your hands to appeal the decision. Where to start? Its all so mad you cannot believe that after caring and giving up everything i.e job freedom friends you are not rewarded but punished. What a country we live in.

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
Hello Moonshine:

I am sorry to hear about your Mum. Who are 'they' who are saying the NH have to be taken into account? Is this because of her fall from the bed whilst being turned?

Its understandable and correct that the cause of the fall should be investigated but I am not sure why you have to fight. If the carer was neglectful then the NH Manager will deal with it.

My husband fell many many times out of bed and eventually I signed to allow cot sides to his bed. He also has an air mattress and is turned hourly and I give the carers credit for doing this carefully.

You say you have to fight against a decision - not sure what that means - are they intending to move your Mum?

My best wishes and hopes that there is an easier solution for you.

Contrary Mary

Jun 11, 2010
Greater London
I read Moonshine's post but didn't reply as I am not sure of this, but as it seems Moonshine lived with her Mum (in Mum's house) I wonder if they have fallen foul of the CRAG rules because it's Mum house and Moonshine is under 60.

Is this what you are trying to get at, Moonshine?

Perhaps someone who knows about the CRAG rules can post a reply.

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
after making the painful decision to put her into a Nursing Home
- this is what made me think Moonshine's Mum had gone into care, plus the first sentence which said after 7 years of caring at home it was necessary to place her into a NH.

I hope you come back soon, Moonshine, to help us understand.

Contrary Mary

Jun 11, 2010
Greater London
Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tired2023