1. Expert Q&A: Benefits - Weds 23 October, 3-4pm

Our next expert Q&A will be on the topic of benefits. It will be hosted by Lauren from our Knowledge Services team. She'll be answering your questions on Wednesday 23 October between 3-4pm.

You can either post your question >here< or email them to us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk and we'll be happy to ask them on your behalf.

What now? Any advice please.

Discussion in 'I have a partner with dementia' started by Alan19531953, Jun 17, 2015.

1. Alan19531953

Alan19531953 Registered User

Jun 16, 2015
    My wife has just been diagnosed with Alzheimer's. So what do I do next? I know it's just going to get worse. Any advice gratefully accepted. Cheers.

2. reedysue

reedysue Registered User

Nov 4, 2014
    Scotland
    Hi Alan, welcome to Talking Point, my mum was diagnosed in April although we had know for some time really. You will find loads of helpful advice and information as well as somewhere to express your your feelings to sympathetic ears.

It may take a long time fore your wife to get worse, some people on here have loved ones who have been living well with dementia for years. Has your wife been put on any medication ?

3. henfenywfach

henfenywfach Registered User

May 23, 2013
    rct
    Hello Alan19521953
    Firstly you taken a huge step already in being open about it..and seeking advice and support. The reality is many dont..its totally their right to do so also.

Does your wife know about the diagnosis?..if so how did she react to hearing the diagnosis? What stage is her diagnosis at?

It will take time to allow the possible shock and realisation to settle down.
    We are all only human..and react in different ways.

If you feel able to tell your family..if they are supportive when your ready you might choose to do so.

Generally its suggested that social services are asked to do an assessment of needs. For you as a carer and your wife.
    This doesnt mean interference or taking people away.just ensure you and your wife get the support you need. .mant people like myself care for family without their support initially. Not advised we are not super human.

Power of attorney for health welfare and finance and property. Absolute must!.to protect you both!

Requesting the Alzheimers society to visit can be a great source of support and info. Their groups are amazing..meeting people like us...carers..and people with a diagnosis of all stages.

I hope that i havent offended by saying the above..just that i found it out myself and would offer my opinion to anyone on talking point to make things easier for them.

Look after yourself and accept any help you are offered.
    Emotionally there will be ups and downs but we are not alone!
    Best wishes

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Talking Point mobile app

4. eve67

eve67 Registered User

Jan 23, 2015
    Alan
    My hubby was diagnosed with Alzheimers in March this year. Alzheimers org are very good. They have singing groups in our area once a fortnight, (which my hubby now looks forward to) a carer's meeting once a month which I went to for the first time last week and found it helpful. Singing is said to be therapeutic - you don't have to be any good, nobody expects you to be - and they make it a fun thing to do. Also good to meet other people in the same boat. Social svs also have daycare places (one or two days a week) for patients diagnosed with dementia but you may have to pay for this depending on savings, income etc.
    Have told family all this but have had to start telling friends as well as some of his mates just take the micky out of him if they don't know. It's painful to do but think it will be better for him in the long run.
    He's on memory tablets now, don't know if your wife has been prescribed these but they take about 6 wks to kick in. They don't seem to do anything for his memory but they have calmed him down - at least we don't seem to argue as much and he hasn't told me to move out of the house for a while.
    Hope this helps

5. Alan19531953

Jun 16, 2015
    A great help

Thanks everybody. All help much appreciated.

6. Alan19531953

Jun 16, 2015
    Mid phase maybe

I think she's sort of in the mid phase of it. They prescribed some anti psychotic tabs which seem to have calmed her a lot. Maniac moments now much less.