What happens in an emergency?

Donna Kebab

Mar 28, 2023
Does anyone know what help is available if there was to be an emergency situation, say the carer having to go into hospital and the PWD, being vulnerable or at risk being left 'home alone'?

I have genuine concerns that this could happen to me. We have no help, no family or close friends available and no support from any of the social agencies, so poor husband would be left unable to get himself food, take his medication (non dementia stuff) and would probably either starve, flood the house or burn it down.....

Is there a system that steps in in such a case, or is it the usual 'postcode lottery'?

Any advice appreciated.

sdmhred

Jan 26, 2022
Surrey
I would contact your local carers support group to enquire. I have a carers card with emergency contacts on but they also have a scheme which would provide 48 hrs care in an emergency. Social services would then become involved if need be. They can put in emergency care packages or admit to a care home in such an emergency.

Donna Kebab

Mar 28, 2023
I would contact your local carers support group to enquire. I have a carers card with emergency contacts on but they also have a scheme which would provide 48 hrs care in an emergency. Social services would then become involved if need be. They can put in emergency care packages or admit to a care home in such an emergency.
Thank you

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Do a Google on emergency social care <LA name>
This should provide a contact number that you can record for easy future use.
In my case it leads to the 24/7 Emergency Duty Team

wurrienot

Jul 25, 2023
I am in this exact position. I have had bowel cancer and am waiting to find out if I now need to have part of my lung removed - recovery time 12 weeks. I contacted social services at our local council. Someone came out to do a care needs assessment for dad and a carers assessment for me. She agreed that dad would be entitled to help if I became unavailable. Dad would have to fund this himself but they would get the appropriate support in place at short notice if needed. I'm not sure how efficient this would be as we've not had to use the service yet but at least we are on the radar just in case.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
In my area TuVida (also known as Crossroads) will provide 48 hrs of emergency care and will contact next of kin and Social Services. I have signed up with them. Ive also got a "bottle in the fridge" supplied by the Lions which contains information about OH including medication. Your local carers organisation/charity should know what is available - I found out about TuVida through mine.

If you are not getting any support then perhaps now is the time to think about what might help. You can contact Social Services for a needs assessment for your husband and a carers assessment for you. It is very easy to slide further and further into caring and think you can do everything. I tried to do everything and reached carer breakdown before I acknowledged that I needed help.

Rugby kate

Nov 27, 2019
My mum was a carer and my dad has dementia. When she broke her hip, after some tussling, the council found him a room in a care home as emergency respite.

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
Hello, this topic comes up quite frequently so I've just put some links together which may be useful:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shirlann