What do I do with all the......

Jan 3, 2013
Sidcup
I will be ringing the council tomorrow about the yellow bin collection. It never ceases to amaze me how you all have advice and answers to what seems to be the impossible. Thank you everyone :)

Soobee

Aug 22, 2009
South
mum used to get the special yellow bags delivered and collected regularly in our area. The Social Worker suggested it and the Community Matron I think.

AD123

Dec 4, 2012
I have a yellow bag collection for my son's nappies. The local council provide the service. I also said my green bin had gone walkies so got an extra one that I store the yellow sacks in until it's collection day.

Jan 3, 2013
Sidcup
I have a yellow bag collection for my son's nappies. The local council provide the service. I also said my green bin had gone walkies so got an extra one that I store the yellow sacks in until it's collection day.

My goodness me I really can't believe all the good responses I have had. Again thank you

Anongirl

Aug 8, 2012
We had a similar issue with our baby's nappies when the bin collection went to once every two weeks. We seemed to have so many nappies!

I used to buy the fragranced nappy bags and if you double bag them that should help with the smell. You can get them in the baby aisle at supermarkets.

Sorry if this has already been suggested!

P.S I just read up and see there are similar suggestions, wasn't quick enough! Story of my life! :D

Last edited:

nita

Dec 30, 2011
Essex
This seemed like such a good idea to me and no one had suggested it to me personally, that I went on our local council website and found the appropriate section for yellow bag clinical waste.

However, it says that nappies and incontinence pads are not deemed to be hazardous and therefore can be disposed of in the usual black sacks which I am already doing.

So not all councils may do this.

From the council website:-
Household Clinical Waste

The definition of clinical waste is established in the Controlled Waste Regulations 1992. Put simply it consists of human or animal tissues, blood or other bodily fluids, excretions, swabs or dressings, syringes or needles which may prove hazardous (i.e. there is a risk of infection) to any person who may come into contact with it.

Clinical wastes are therefore wastes that present a hazard to anyone who may come into contact with them, and they therefore need to be collected and disposed of safely to ensure that they do not harm human health or the environment.

It is therefore not appropriate to dispose hypodermic needles or other hazardous clinical wastes using your household kerbside waste collections.

If you are undergoing medical treatment at home by a healthcare professional please speak to them regarding how to appropriately dispose of your clinical waste. If the waste is not deemed to be hazardous (for example this is normally the case with sanitary products, nappies and incontinence pads) and it is appropriately bagged and sealed then it can be disposed of in your black refuse sack.

Where it is deemed that waste is clinical waste, separate collections should be organised by contacting the Primary Care Trust on 01702 224600.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Yes I wondered about this.

My husband had a yellow Sharps Box for disposing the lancets [needles] we used to test his blood. It was collected separately by NHS personelle for disposal.

AD123

Dec 4, 2012
The definition of clinical waste do seem to vary depending on your local council. Some class incontinence pads as clinical waste and some don't. You should refer to your own councils website or call and ask.